News   Apr 19, 2024
 104     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 754     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.4K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Stop being so cynical.

The four entrances allow pedestrians to avoid the traffic sewer that is the Eglinton / Allen interchange, and probably will help traffic flow to as pedestrian counts will be reduced.

Also, the bike lanes are concrete curb protected, with gaps at intersections and for the wheeltrans layby visible. They aren't just painted.

Given that drivers make full speed right turns on/off Allen Rd, the extra entrances aren't the worst idea from a pedestrian safety perspective. That said, they could have fixed that with better street design...
I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to have three entrances is driven beyond the logistics of accessing platforms. Truly sad there was no action on the study of Allen Rd

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to have three entrances is driven beyond the logistics of accessing platforms. Truly sad there was no action on the study of Allen Rd
I went to an Allen rd study meeting. The result was a new sidewalk on the north side of Lawrence at the Allen. Almost everyone there was a pro driver. Such progress the city made.

I went to an Allen rd study meeting. The result was a new sidewalk on the north side of Lawrence at the Allen. Almost everyone there was a pro driver. Such progress the city made.
Of course the preferred recommendation wasn't really an improvement, so there's that.

I hope that in case of problems (such as the derailment, but also ATC installation shutdowns, breakdowns and suicides) with Line 2, that Line 5 would be able to take the overflow. They should be able to switch from two car to three car trains as a redundancy.

I hope that in case of problems (such as the derailment, but also ATC installation shutdowns, breakdowns and suicides) with Line 2, that Line 5 would be able to take the overflow. They should be able to switch from two car to three car trains as a redundancy.

Off-peak, for sure. During the peak, only to some degree (but it is still better then having nothing but shuttle buses for backup).

Switching to 3 cars would require a) the station platforms expanded; the room is there but the false walls need to go down, and b) advance knowledge of the Line 2 disruption, such as ATC installation or other scheduled maintenance. In the situation of a sudden shutdown, it wouldn't be possible to quickly drive each train to the barn, attach the 3-rd car, and go back to service. In that case, it would be much easier to just put a few extra 2-car trains in service.

I highly doubt Line 5 will be super packed when the west end of Line 2 goes out of service. Most people would think of going north to come back south stupid and counterproductive. They don't see the big picture and would rather bull throw the pack of people to get on a shuttle bus. A good trial is running the 84X, 186X. 52X and 32X last year to try to get people to use the University Line during weekend shutdowns between Sheppard and St Clair. People called the TTC stupid and that was not well received even through it would actually be faster if they are heading south to Union.

When Line 5 is extended to Etobicoke, that's when the big relief will come.

I highly doubt Line 5 will be super packed when the west end of Line 2 goes out of service. Most people would think of going north to come back south stupid and counterproductive. They don't see the big picture and would rather bull throw the pack of people to get on a shuttle bus. A good trial is running the 84X, 186X. 52X and 32X last year to try to get people to use the University Line during weekend shutdowns between Sheppard and St Clair. People called the TTC stupid and that was not well received even through it would actually be faster if they are heading south to Union.

When Line 5 is extended to Etobicoke, that's when the big relief will come.
In the East too. Having the grade-separated Eglinton through Scarborough would provide big potential relief to the B-D line.

Most people would think of going north to come back south stupid and counterproductive. They don't see the big picture and would rather bull throw the pack of people to get on a shuttle bus.

They won't go north if they are already at Bloor. But, those coming from the north can switch to Eglinton before they even reach Bloor. If just 30% of the regular Bloor riders switch in that manner, the shuttle buses crowding will be somewhat more tolerable.

They won't go north if they are already at Bloor. But, those coming from the north can switch to Eglinton before they even reach Bloor. If just 30% of the regular Bloor riders switch in that manner, the shuttle buses crowding will be somewhat more tolerable.
Most people in North York north of Eglinton don't take the bus all the way south to Bloor to head downtown already. I would say only Jane is fast enough for people to do that. Other riders along Weston, Keele, Caledonia and Dufferin would take a bus east to the Spadina Line as it takes half an hour from Lawrence to Bloor. So the shuttle buses would probably still be as crowded.

It's only 20 minutes from Weston/Lawrence to Lawrence West vs. 30 minutes to Keele Station. Keele/Lawrence to Lawrence West is about 10 minutes vs 30 minutes to Keele Station. It's about the same time from Wilson Station to Dufferin Station on either the 929 or on subway (Line 1+2). Most of the riders the would take Line 2 from Jane to Ossington would originate south of Eglinton. Line 5 will not relief them.

It's only 20 minutes from Weston/Lawrence to Lawrence West vs. 30 minutes to Keele Station. Keele/Lawrence to Lawrence West is about 10 minutes vs 30 minutes to Keele Station. It's about the same time from Wilson Station to Dufferin Station on either the 929 or on subway (Line 1+2). Most of the riders the would take Line 2 from Jane to Ossington would originate south of Eglinton. Line 5 will not relief them.
Part of the solution has to be coordination with bus operators running services to Bloor and management. In the event of significant closures like the one one the other day, they should through-run buses north to Line 5 express to help alleviate crowding.

Back