News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 536     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

As for the ATC/ATO system itself, it's construction and implementation seems to be going about as smoothly or more so as any other installation as a replacement system previously.

Dan

so in plain speak its a gongshow then.....

The original plan for the ATC/ATO system was as an overlay over a brand new fixed block signal system - replacing the original system which mostly dates back to the launch of the subway system

So is the new ATC system being installed dependent on the old signal system?

The plan is meant to make Scarborough’s Golden Mile a “City of the Future” again, and it’s a vision that could fail.
People from surrounding neighbourhoods are hearing redevelopment will bring 45,000 residents and 19,000 jobs to properties along Eglinton Avenue. They see no guarantee this will benefit them.
The district’s landowners, after three years of working with Toronto planners on the Golden Mile Secondary Plan (GMSP), are balking at density caps preventing them from building as high as they want on holdings from Victoria Park Avenue to Birchmount Road.

KingSett Capital, RioCan Holdings and Choice Properties REIT are pushing their own plans forward through appeals. In February, each will ask Toronto’s Local Planning Appeal Tribunal to help.
On Jan. 8, lawyers for landowners gave Scarborough Community Council a blunt and public warning.
The present caps, and a restriction limiting developments north of Eglinton to 35 per cent until an east-west Golden Mile Boulevard is competed, will stop GMSP cold, they said.
“I’ll be definitive: It won’t happen,” said Adam Brown, representing KingSett, owners of Eglinton Square mall.

With the Crosstown Light-Rail-Transit line moving to completion, Golden Mile’s ripe for redevelopment, but Brown said the caps are set “extremely low.”...

I doubt it, the new conventional signal system was meant to be used by the maintenance vehicles, instead of having to convert them to ATC. Now everything will be on the ATC system.

The problem is the areas infrastructure cannot handle it. An area full of stores and factories is different than an area full of 50 story condos
Every area can claim the same thing. We don't have the infrastructure or traffic will get worse. The Eglinton let is part of the infrastructure and it should help the traffic as well.

The problem is the areas infrastructure cannot handle it. An area full of stores and factories is different than an area full of 50 story condos
I guess we should just keep stuffing condos into Humber Bay Shores until the area breaks then.

On a serious note, isn't that what the development charges are for? To build the hard services and related infrastructure necessary to support the increased density? The major infrastructure piece (Eglinton Crosstown) is already nearly in place.

so in plain speak its a gongshow then.....

Let me start by clarifying my original statement - what I had intended to write was "...as any other installation as any replacement system previously. "

If it was a gong show I would have said that. About the only issue with it so far is that the original schedule was far too aggressive with its timelines, and so they're currently working with one that is more realistic.

No. It's being installed independently of the old signal system, which is then deactivated once the new system is turned on. At some point the old components are then removed entirely.

Dan

I guess we should just keep stuffing condos into Humber Bay Shores until the area breaks then.

On a serious note, isn't that what the development charges are for? To build the hard services and related infrastructure necessary to support the increased density? The major infrastructure piece (Eglinton Crosstown) is already nearly in place.

Speaking of Humber Bay Shores, we all one day hope an Waterfront West LRT, an express ferry and a GO Station could all exist in that area, to allow more convient ways to travel to support increased population. On Eglinton, this will as you said be a major step, for increased population and options to commute

Speaking of Humber Bay Shores, we all one day hope an Waterfront West LRT, an express ferry and a GO Station could all exist in that area, to allow more convient ways to travel to support increased population. On Eglinton, this will as you said be a major step, for increased population and options to commute
Crossing my fingers that the city will pursue Waterfront LRT now that they're 'off the hook' for a few transit projects (Eglinton West, Ontario line).

This is about the corner of keele and Eglinton where the school and York centre is. I suggested ripping the whole place down and starting over.
Why does everything need to be highrise? Why not some of the "missing middle" that Toronto lacks?

Developers do the missing middle thing near Royal York on bloor, on avenue road where they can get more money per square foot. Or on st Claire west of the immediate subway area. Maybe between the underground stations on Eglinton we will see the missing middle. This is a huge site right on top of a under ground lrt stop. Look it up and across from the Weston road lrt stop where the grocery store is that too is slated for high rise. The church on the corner of Weston and Eglinton is slated for high rise.

Back