News   Apr 19, 2024
 397     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 576     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 961     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Knock out panels imply that they would be outside of the fare paid area. That doesn't really mean anything since the Finch West Station transfer will require passing 2 fare lines too anyways.

Not necessarily.

There are knock out panels in the floors of the Yonge platform on the Sheppard Line, to facilitate the construction of additional stairs, elevators and escalators should they ever build the additional platforms.

Dan

Not necessarily.

There are knock out panels in the floors of the Yonge platform on the Sheppard Line, to facilitate the construction of additional stairs, elevators and escalators should they ever build the additional platforms.

Dan
IIRC they were future proofing if they were to ever lengthen to 6 cars, the platform rough in is already there. Never will happen though unfortunately.

The worst that can happen with rough-in for any future rapid transit expansion...

TTC’s Queen Lower station a monument to transit dreams unfulfilled

From link.

queenlower.jpg

Buried beneath Queen subway station is a monument to transit dreams long shuffled to the bottom of the city’s ongoing laundry list of projects.

Queen Lower, as it is known, is the shell of an underground streetcar terminal. It was built at the same time as the Yonge subway line but has never seen a transit vehicle pass its platform.

Even with talk of a new relief subway line to take some of the crowds off Yonge, it seems unlikely the old station will be pressed into service.

Packaged as part of a transit referendum in 1946, a partially buried, separated streetcar line was supposed to extend from Trinity-Bellwoods Park in the west to beyond Broadview Ave. in the east, dipping underground as it passed through the core.

It was slated to be built after the Yonge line. But things had changed by the time the subway opened in 1954.

The federal government failed to carry through on a promised subsidy and traffic patterns had altered significantly in Toronto.

More people were travelling east-west around the Bloor-Danforth corridor.

It made more sense to build Toronto’s next subway line north of Queen St., said James Bow, a transit enthusiast and founder of the Toronto Transit website.

“Most of the development was concentrated in and around (downtown) Toronto. Queen was indisputably the main east-west thoroughfare,” said Bow. “But after the war, when the subway was built, the city sprawled out into the east, west, and northern sectors ... The people who were buying houses in Scarborough, who were commuting downtown, weren’t taking the Queen streetcar. They were getting on to the Bloor-Danforth line.”

So the plan to run a Queen car separated from traffic on its own right-of-way, including an underground stretch downtown, was shelved and the Bloor-Danforth subway opened in 1966.

Queen Lower remains part of the TTC’s infrastructure. It is laced with conduits and houses elevator shafts for the functioning subway station that sits above it. Reclaiming it for anything else would present a massive engineering challenge, said TTC spokesman Brad Ross.

“The shell, as it stands, would not be useable as part of a station. There’s a lot more work that would need to be done,” he said.

Ross and TTC CEO Andy Byford toured the station for a YouTube video last month.

I'm reaaallly hoping for another entrance at Science Centre Stn. Maybe the northwest corner near the future Wynford green. It probably won't be necessary, although I did have a dream where I explored Science Centre Stn. built and I left through an exit in the Foresters building. ?

Here's what's planned for Vancouver's Canada Line Broadway-City Hall Station when the Broadway SkyTrain Extension is built.
Note that they aren't planning any new entrances to the station - sticking with the existing ONE entrance.

48991897573_89b8323038_b.jpg

Railway Ages take on the delay. It's explained in more detail:

I am hoping to see trees make a comeback on Eglinton once the construction is done.

Any idea what the status of Eglinton Connects is? According to its website, the last update was, "the streetscape and cycle track designs are advancing in parallel, with preliminary design to be completed by summer 2019." I haven't seen this preliminary design posted anywhere though

Any idea what the status of Eglinton Connects is? According to its website, the last update was, "the streetscape and cycle track designs are advancing in parallel, with preliminary design to be completed by summer 2019." I haven't seen this preliminary design posted anywhere though

Eglinton Connects Design is in the capital budget for Transportation Services at $15,000,000 spread over 2021 and 2022

The construction budget of 120,000,000, if the money is found is set to flow starting in 2022; but is listed under 'funding constraints' which I take to mean, currently unfunded.

Eglinton Connects Design is in the capital budget for Transportation Services at $15,000,000 spread over 2021 and 2022

The construction budget of 120,000,000, if the money is found is set to flow starting in 2022; but is listed under 'funding constraints' which I take to mean, currently unfunded.

Aka Bike Lanes will not be built until after the LRT is built because funding is unavailable.

Aka Bike Lanes will not be built until after the LRT is built because funding is unavailable.

I don't know for certain, but what I expect is that where total road reconstruction is already required, bike lanes will be done at the same time (I would hope); this would mainly be the above-ground sections.

I expect the underground section doesn't involve as much work and may see some delays.

I don't know for certain, but what I expect is that where total road reconstruction is already required, bike lanes will be done at the same time (I would hope); this would mainly be the above-ground sections.

I expect the underground section doesn't involve as much work and may see some delays.

lol have you seen the state of Eglinton between Don Mills and Mt Dennis? All 19 km of the road will need to be reconstructed.

Last edited:

Back