News   Apr 25, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I just noticed it's from the Transit City documents even though I found it in the crosstown website. Very interesting to see what could have been. View attachment 223122

Ah yes, that litany of minor stops west of Jane only a handful of riders would have used daily. No thanks. The planned fully grade separated Eglinton West LRT is better bang for our taxpayers bucks and should be prioritized soon enough to go with the two-thirds of this line already under construction and only a few years from opening.

Oh no. So we're going to be getting a lot of "THIS CAR IS SHORTTURNING. THIS IS THE LAST STOP. PLEASE EXIT THE TRAIN HERE" ??‍♂️

[I hope] It will be more like trains will visibly display their terminal on the train and the 'next train' display on the platform before you ride. A lot of express style/branching train lines do this around the world.
For example, the Vancouver Expo line terminates at a random station (Production Way-University Station) in a loop. Not the best example, but it's the first that comes to mind.
1577741499417.png

Last edited:
The Yonge and bloor streetcars being converted to the Yonge and Bloor subways.

Haha, that's the most famous example.

What about lines the remained active during construction? for example, if Toronto one day to convert the crosstown to a high capacity LRT similar to Ottawa's grade separate system. In Toronto's case they would either elevate or bury the line east of Laird.

It still will albeit western portion is now underground.

Metrolinx hasn't really shown the new plan. They are calling the extension a subway, but they are also calling the Ontario line a subway even though half the route is above ground.

I'm still crossing my fingers that they are creating a hybrid elevated and underground alignment. Something like Option 4 from Attachment 5 - Eglinton West LRT [PDF].
1577742696626.png

Last edited:
I just noticed it's from the Transit City documents even though I found it in the crosstown website. Very interesting to see what could have been. View attachment 223122
Glass half full. Glass half empty.

It's all coming. The Don Mills LRT has morphed into the Ontario Line. The West extension is one of four priority projects of the province. And the Jane LRT is on the city's short list. Two thirds of this blue line is scheduled to open in 2 years and the Don Mills part in 10. We pretty much got this.

Oh no. So we're going to be getting a lot of "THIS CAR IS SHORTTURNING. THIS IS THE LAST STOP. PLEASE EXIT THE TRAIN HERE" ??‍♂️
Or you could read the platform next train signs - digital - woo hoo! - or the digital scroll signs....

In my mind's eye...

Platform Sign

Line Terminus Time to next train
Line 5 Kennedy 1:00 minute
Line 5 Laird 3:00 minutes
Line 5 Kennedy 6:00 minutes

Who knows? It works elsewhere. I have a short fuse and I managed to survive this.

NEW: The Eglinton Crosstown LRT is at risk of opening at least seven months late and over budget by more than $330 million, according to internal Metrolinx documents.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...a&utm_campaign=&utm_campaign_id=&utm_content=
I take no joy in this. I'm dyin' to use it.

Before the critics come out, forecast anything a decade ahead and see how close you come. This is largely on time and as big a number as $300 million is, it's a 2% variance with $12.2 billion.

Back