News   Apr 16, 2024
 476     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 413     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 772     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I wonder how hard it would be to turn the service areas into a platform if they decide they want to go to 4 or 5 cars per train (120-150m).

That's the point of building them like that. All of those services and utilities can be moved if absolutely necessary and relocated elsewhere.

It won't be cheap, but it will be cheaper than trying to extend the station box to lengthen the platforms.

Dan

I wonder how hard it would be to turn the service areas into a platform if they decide they want to go to 4 or 5 cars per train (120-150m).

Its possible, and would be considered in the future if ridership absolutely warranted it, because it would be expensive. You'd also have to lengthen the above ground stops.

They would probably look at things like getting some special built, one-train Alstom LRT (like the large ones for Ottawa LRT) that is built out of 9 modules, and thus some capacity gained by not having the "dead" areas between 3 car Flexities, and maximizing the frequency of trains as much as possible before resorting to converting the service areas.

So possible but a huge construction interruption and expensive.

1. Eglinton is in no way going to be overbuilt. Have you seen the station renderings?
2. It's a subway that's 4* as long as Ottawa's, of course it's going to take 2-3* as long.

But that's precisely my point though, it doesn't have to be this way. It doesn't have to take 2-3 times as long to build the Crosstown to completion. The salient comparison to be made here is with Vancouver's Canada Line which went from a napkin drawing to operational from late 2004 to just in time for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics (it actually opened to the public over a month ahead of schedule). Look at the progress of REM thus far as well, started less than 3 years ago and is already like 60% complete.

And these examples costed or are costing less money per capita to boot.

That's the point of building them like that. All of those services and utilities can be moved if absolutely necessary and relocated elsewhere.

It won't be cheap, but it will be cheaper than trying to extend the station box to lengthen the platforms.

Dan

The station boxes along Line 4 Sheppard are built the same way. Those stations currently handle 4-car heavy rail trains. They could (maybe in the next century) get extended to handle 6-car heavy rail trains, if the need will be there.

^ So it's likely they would open the LRT station but not the GO station? Would it be possible for them to open a more basic version of the station?

^ So it's likely they would open the LRT station but not the GO station? Would it be possible for them to open a more basic version of the station?
Perhaps, but again, it's not part of the Crosstown package (unlike Mt Dennis station - which has the GO station included).
Whether Caledonia is basic or elaborate station - a separate contract is needed, which hasn't been awarded yet.

Perhaps, but again, it's not part of the Crosstown package (unlike Mt Dennis station - which has the GO station included).
Whether Caledonia is basic or elaborate station - a separate contract is needed, which hasn't been awarded yet.

Is the bridge in the contract? They have renders of the bridge to the go station.

So, question... Consdering that you cannot walk from car to car on these trains, what is the emergency protocol? I guess the fact that this line uses centenary removes the danger of the third rail. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

So, question... Consdering that you cannot walk from car to car on these trains, what is the emergency protocol? I guess the fact that this line uses centenary removes the danger of the third rail. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
prob the same protocol as the st clair row... just get off the train...

Back