News   Apr 18, 2024
 38     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 356     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I mean its simply unavoidable. I dont think it means the Crosstown is a failure, its just what people do; they use words they know to describe unfamiliar things.

Branding isn't a bad thing, within limits. What's silly is when organizations or government think their choice of brand will stick. More likely, depending on how the new line performs, and perhaps because of some attribute or future event that none of us have noticed yet, a popular name will emerge that will become part of our culture.

TTC didn't create the term "Rocket" - it emerged in popular use and TTC decided to appropriate it.

Eglinton may be like that. (I like Eggbeater, myself.... remember where you saw it first ;-) )

- Paul

Branding isn't a bad thing, within limits. What's silly is when organizations or government think their choice of brand will stick. More likely, depending on how the new line performs, and perhaps because of some attribute or future event that none of us have noticed yet, a popular name will emerge that will become part of our culture.

TTC didn't create the term "Rocket" - it emerged in popular use and TTC decided to appropriate it.

Eglinton may be like that. (I like Eggbeater, myself.... remember where you saw it first ;-) )

- Paul
Very True when the Jays first came into the league Labat apparently tried very hard for the short form of the team name to be the Blues inevitably though the short form Jays stuck.

More specifically, will anyone actually use the word Crosstown?

No, particularly in the current implementation under construction.

I'll call it Eglinton Line. Yonge/Spadina conditioned me to using street names because "Take Line 1 North" is less helpful than "Take Spadina Line North"

How do you think people will refer to this line when it opens? It's obvious that the TTC will refer to it as Line 5 in their announcements, but what about the general public? I assume people will have names like Eglinton, Eglinton LRT, Eglinton Line, Line 5, Orange Line, Midtown Line, etc. More specifically, will anyone actually use the word Crosstown?
Line 5.
The Orange Line.
Eglinton Line.

Crosstown is a marketing name from Metrolinx that will disappear as soon as Metrolinx does. The brand is TTC and no one will ever think of Metrolinx again once the last press conference is held.

Back