News   Apr 19, 2024
 345     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 673     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 738     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Major construction at Birchmount and Eglinton is now imminent for guideway construction and trackwork (surprising because Warden was supposed to be first but I digress). Simutaneously road surface is set to begin along Birchmount, between Eglinton and Lawrence, so avoid the area completely because it will be a zoo soon.

Track installation at Eglinton and Sincott Rd has been completed.

The whole area is a disaster. I live at Birchmount and St Clair and no matter what way you try and get around it, it is blocked with cars. It will be nice when it is finished but a pain in the ass now.

It will not be much better in the near future while they work on the Ionview stop and tangent track for the portal.

Had my first drive on Eglinton on Sunday in months, east of DVP and a mess. The zig zaging in places seem to be an issue for a lot of drivers. West of Victoria Park is having the westbound lanes rebuilt and the east side will see it after the tracks are in place.

A number of major intersections have tracks across them, while others are seeing work for them or not at all at this time. East of VP is about to see rail place in the new ROW as the rail is laying there and look shorter than what TTC does for their rail. Other areas are being dug out while others have the pour ROW and placing rebar for the base. Seeing rebar base is something TTC hasn't done while watching them working.

The ramp to the portal at Kennedy is mostly in place on the west side and no idea what has taken place under Kennedy since its been about 4-5 months since I saw the area. The east side trench is still being dug out up to TTC power plant. Work is taking place for building the Kennedy Station. Crews were working on it as well a number of location. Mostly rebar work.

Work is taking place on the east side of the GO Line and looks like work has taken place or is taking place under the track. Shoring in place for the SRT and hard to see or say work is taking place there at this time.

Once the intersections are done, traffic will flow a lot better than now. More so once the ROW is completed. A lot of work has taken place since I last saw it and a good sign for other lines to be built starting early next year.

Had my first drive on Eglinton on Sunday in months, east of DVP and a mess. The zig zaging in places seem to be an issue for a lot of drivers. West of Victoria Park is having the westbound lanes rebuilt and the east side will see it after the tracks are in place.

A number of major intersections have tracks across them, while others are seeing work for them or not at all at this time. East of VP is about to see rail place in the new ROW as the rail is laying there and look shorter than what TTC does for their rail. Other areas are being dug out while others have the pour ROW and placing rebar for the base. Seeing rebar base is something TTC hasn't done while watching them working.

The ramp to the portal at Kennedy is mostly in place on the west side and no idea what has taken place under Kennedy since its been about 4-5 months since I saw the area. The east side trench is still being dug out up to TTC power plant. Work is taking place for building the Kennedy Station. Crews were working on it as well a number of location. Mostly rebar work.

Work is taking place on the east side of the GO Line and looks like work has taken place or is taking place under the track. Shoring in place for the SRT and hard to see or say work is taking place there at this time.

Once the intersections are done, traffic will flow a lot better than now. More so once the ROW is completed. A lot of work has taken place since I last saw it and a good sign for other lines to be built starting early next year.

Being the first "light rail guideway" in Toronto, mistakes and miscalculations can happen. It should lead to improvements in construction techniques for the Eglinton light rail extensions, Finch West, and other light rail projects as they come on board.

For the most part Kennedy is coming along very quickly. They are really building up the station at a surprising speed. I go through the station every week and am shocked at the changes happening on a weekly basis.

It should be wrapped up relatively quickly.

For the most part Kennedy is coming along very quickly. They are really building up the station at a surprising speed. I go through the station every week and am shocked at the changes happening on a weekly basis.

It should be wrapped up relatively quickly.
It's much easier when they don't have to work around traffic. They had to close all 4 corners of an intersection in different phases just to deck over a station. Half a year ago, some were worried that it's just an open pit.

Being the first "light rail guideway" in Toronto, mistakes and miscalculations can happen. It should lead to improvements in construction techniques for the Eglinton light rail extensions, Finch West, and other light rail projects as they come on board.
I'll take what's happening on Eglinton over the 4 year mess on St Clair. Crosslinx is able to manage a lot more work all together than TTC ever did. Once it's done, I think it'll be good. You also realized the same companies who worked on the ION and Confederation Line are working on Eglinton and Finch. They aren't new to this LRT construction business. Those that the TTC contracted for St Clair were inexperience small/medium size businesses that ended up being a disaster. It's probably a good thing ML put an end to that and have the same guys do both lines.

I'll take what's happening on Eglinton over the 4 year mess on St Clair. Crosslinx is able to manage a lot more work all together than TTC ever did.
Those that the TTC contracted for St Clair were inexperience small/medium size businesses that ended up being a disaster
Don't forget a lot of the delays on St. Clair had to do with the stupid lawsuits and the hydro deciding to dig up the street after it was finished

It's much easier when they don't have to work around traffic. They had to close all 4 corners of an intersection in different phases just to deck over a station. Half a year ago, some were worried that it's just an open pit.

I'll take what's happening on Eglinton over the 4 year mess on St Clair. Crosslinx is able to manage a lot more work all together than TTC ever did. Once it's done, I think it'll be good. You also realized the same companies who worked on the ION and Confederation Line are working on Eglinton and Finch. They aren't new to this LRT construction business. Those that the TTC contracted for St Clair were inexperience small/medium size businesses that ended up being a disaster. It's probably a good thing ML put an end to that and have the same guys do both lines.

Yes, but let’s not forget it took Metrolinx four years of delays to find someone to build the FWLRT, in addition to another year of delay after the builder was selected. The Crosstown was also delayed for a year for similar reasons (we should be just a year from revenue service right now). Metrolinx has also had pretty poor oversight of Crosslinx’s spending, potentially resulting in a quarter-billion in unnecessary taxpayer spending (this coming from an audior general report). Then there’s the whole vehicle order fiasco.

Crosslinx has been doing their part fine, but Metrolinx’s management of both projects has been piss poor. They deserve no praise for some 6 years of delays and $250 Million+ in overspending across these two projects

... but Metrolinx’s management of both projects has been piss poor. They deserve no praise for some 6 years of delays and $250 Million+ in overspending across these two projects

Indeed. Georgetown South went through something similar; on-time and on-budget but they changed the scope to include less work; some might argue that project is not actually finished until the 401 tunnel opens since Georgetown capacity improvements could not be realized due to that deferred piece.

It's a little disturbing because project management is one of the few pieces Metrolinx wants to handle in addition to planning and contract management/enforcement; DBFOM type contracts outsource everything else. They've not shown themselves to be particularly skilled at any of those; not more skilled than the other transit agencies in the area at least.

Last edited:
Indeed. Georgetown South went through something similar; on-time and on-budget but they changed the scope to include less work; some might argue that project is not actually finished until the 401 tunnel opens since Georgetown capacity improvements could not be realized due to that deferred piece.

It's a little disturbing because project management is one of the few pieces Metrolinx wants to handle in addition to planning and contract management/enforcement; DBFOM type contracts outsource everything else. They've not shown themselves to be particularly skilled at any of those; not more skilled than the other transit agencies in the area at least.

Metrolinx carefully portrays itself as a competent project manager, but the proof simply isn’t there in their results. The only reason that perception exists is because there is a total lack of transparency within the organization; its easy to portray yourself as competent when you can leave all the bad news hidden behind FOIA requests.

We’ve already experienced the impacts of this lack of transparency. Years ago Metrolinx effectively canceled the Sheppard LRT without telling the public. Then the Crosstown LRT went a quarter-billion dollars over budget, and the public never found out until the auditor general raised alarm bells. Metrolinx has a consistent history of burying bad news.

Likewise, with the Relief Line and Scarborough Subway, we have zero information about how those projects are proceeding. It’s been radio silence from Metrolinx; they won’t even tell their municipal “partners” how planning for those projects is proceeding. The DRL and SSE could be as dead as the SELRT for all we know, and we’d never find out until years after the fact. Contrast this with Toronto’s management of those projects, where every few months we’d get public reports on how those projects were proceeding. It perhaps resulted in the public thinking the TTC was incompetent, but at least we knew what the hell was going on.

The primary value of Metrolinx to the provincial government seems to be that it allows them to better control the narrative around these transit projects, and avoid public accountability. That’s fantastic for Kathleen Wynne and Doug Ford, but terrible for taxpayers and the millions of people who will depend on this infrastructure.

Don't forget a lot of the delays on St. Clair had to do with the stupid lawsuits and the hydro deciding to dig up the street after it was finished
IF you included the lawsuit and all hold up, the entire St Clair rebuilt took place between 2005-2010 which was over 5 years. TTC made a number of changes during the project themselves. The track construction itself it closer to 4 years.

Yes, but let’s not forget it took Metrolinx four years of delays to find someone to build the FWLRT, in addition to another year of delay after the builder was selected. The Crosstown was also delayed for a year for similar reasons (we should be just a year from revenue service right now). Metrolinx has also had pretty poor oversight of Crosslinx’s spending, potentially resulting in a quarter-billion in unnecessary taxpayer spending (this coming from an audior general report). Then there’s the whole vehicle order fiasco.

Crosslinx has been doing their part fine, but Metrolinx’s management of both projects has been piss poor. They deserve no praise for some 6 years of delays and $250 Million+ in overspending across these two projects
I never pride ML, they are incompetent and non transparent organization that makes many stupid decisions. Crosslinx might be about to pull through and get the project delivered on time. ML would be the one that's changing things every month that causes more delays for Crosslinx.

IF you included the lawsuit and all hold up, the entire St Clair rebuilt took place between 2005-2010 which was over 5 years. TTC made a number of changes during the project themselves. The track construction itself it closer to 4 years.

Very, very few. If you look at the original EA drawings and compare them to the finished product, you will be very hard-pressed to see what changes were made.

Dan

Well what do you expect when the SOS group and Toronto Hydro held up work on this project?? Then the city itself screw things up by surveying the area wrong to the point a number of sections of tracks were off set by a foot or more including drainage. TTC had to bend rails around these areas to join the sections together. Have lots of photos for these areas

How the work was to be done and how it was done in phases ended up being backward. Then there was the waterlines that needed to be upgraded that wasn't part of the EA or work that force work to leap frog the areas or stop all together.

Dufferin intersection was partly rebuilt due lack of space for turns. Yonge St was another area that was change from the EA and the first area to see work until the court shut it down. There are a few other for various reasons that were better than plan or worse.

St Clair became the poster child to have all work done at the same time in place of 6 months here 1 year there and so on. There is more coordination taking place these days when one hand didn't know what the other was doing in the past and costing less money to do the work now. That shows up in the Crosstown Line work.

As for small companies working on St Clair, I don't know what you call EllisDon who screw up some of their work. The bulk of the work was done by one company who has and is doing most of TTC track work with very little issues. TTC had them jumping around out of phase a lots of time and delay finishing off areas later than sooner as plan. They did the Queensway. Then, TTC doesn't hire the contractors in the first place, the city does, with TTC being a sub to the contractor.

Clearly you have no understanding what size for construction companies are to be or who they should be. Makes no different in size where various trades come from Union Halls for doing various type of work. Union companies hire various crews out of Union halls and they have only so many to the point there isn't enough to go around to meet all the projects on the go at X time. Most contractors have a core of skill workers for various trades, as they end up over seeing workers out of the Union Halls or perform along with them.

How track is place across major intersections is similar to how TTC has been doing it for years, but very rarely they close the whole intersection down like ML is doing. Have no issue for either options, but full closure is the way to go. I will have to find time to watch how the work is taking place since its outside my travel zone.

Ahh so that must be why the rails on St Clair aren’t straight like they are on other routes. I assumed it was because of limited ROW width
One of my photos illegally appeared on the front page of the Globe and Mail either the day before or on the day of a TTC meeting showing the track work east of Dufferin St that I refer as built by the drunken sailor. Between Dufferin and Oakwood there are 3 locations that were miss match because of poor surveying because either the city didn't want X road to be close as plan or TTC jumping from one area to another. The contractor had to rip curbs out in this area as they were detail wrong by the city.

Back