News   Apr 24, 2024
 955     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Ahh, Moscow, my heart. Though I would say they're the exception to station design, not the norm.

I will be curious to see if final signage refers to it as Subway and uses a Subway Icon . . .
Line 3 signage at times uses different icons for subway and SRT. I expect there'll ultimately be subtle and inexplicable differences on Line 5 and Line 6 signage as well.
What's ultimately needed is a single brand and logo to unite all the rapid transit lines and differentiate them from the rest of the transit network. Like in Boston, the T is used for the subway and LRT lines, and even a BRT. Same with the Los Angeles Metro.

But of course, the TTC is doing the opposite, putting mixed traffic streetcar lines on the subway maps as if they're even remotely comparable.

Things must be slow in the Crosstown - we just discussed station depth, and now we are talking about heating?
Next we’ll be talking about the type of paint that will be used.

I'm just here to instigate another conversation on washrooms.

So, guys, how about them washrooms?

Expand the shelters to fit washrooms with tiled floors.

Maybe Viva, but not ION.

This is arguably the most substantial ION station:

In all honesty, though, stations with service that's quite frequent (more than 6 trains per hour per direction) doesn't really need to be super substantial given you'll be waiting no more than 5 minutes on average. This is especially true of subway stations, people are usually waiting less than 5 minutes.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you Chinese? (I was born in Hong Kong) Because that voice...

What's ultimately needed is a single brand and logo to unite all the rapid transit lines and differentiate them from the rest of the transit network. Like in Boston, the T is used for the subway and LRT lines, and even a BRT. Same with the Los Angeles Metro.

But of course, the TTC is doing the opposite, putting mixed traffic streetcar lines on the subway maps as if they're even remotely comparable.

Is is really that different than Boston or Philadelphia, which also include their streetcars (certain branches of the green line are definitely an old fashioned streetcar) on their rail map?

Is is really that different than Boston or Philadelphia, which also include their streetcars (certain branches of the green line are definitely an old fashioned streetcar) on their rail map?
I'm not familiar with Philadelphia, but in Boston the Green Line is underground in the central area and functions as a subway just like Line 5 will. The D branch is mostly grade separated as well and runs largely free of surface interruptions. While the rest of the outer sections are more streetcar-like, they all run underground in central Boston. None of Toronto's legacy streetcars do that (apart from that tiny tunnel approaching Union Station). So yes, it really is that different.

I just had a look at the the SEPTA rail transit map. Correct me if I'm wrong but the streetcars it shows appear to be mostly limited to the downtown tunnel section, generally hiding the surface sections. It does show the 101 and 102 lines, which seem to have a lot more characteristics of rapid transit than any of Toronto's streetcars.

And there's an important thing that both Philly and Boston have on their maps that Toronto doesn't: regional rail lines! This is a glaring omission from Toronto's map.

And there's an important thing that both Philly and Boston have on their maps that Toronto doesn't: regional rail lines! This is a glaring omission from Toronto's map
That's because all those modes of transportation are run by the same organization. In Boston Bus, Subway, Streetcar, and Regional Rail are all owned and operated by the MBTA. Philedalphia is the same with all forms of public transit being owned and operated by SEPTA. If you look at say the map of Chicago's subway, regional rail lines don't appear either since the Subway is operated by the CTA, while regional rail is operated by METRA. Here as we all know the Subway and Regional Rail are operared by two separate entities (although that may change in a couple of months).

Chicago shows Pace buses on their map, despite that being a non CTA entity, and Philly shows the Patco speedline, which is also another entity.

Here's the official chicago regional map, Metra and all

CTA, Metra and Pace are all under RTA. It makes sense to have them on the same map.
That'd be like Metrolinx taking control of GO, TTC, and all other 905 transit system. GO = Metra, TTC = CTA, 905s = Pace.

That's because all those modes of transportation are run by the same organization. In Boston Bus, Subway, Streetcar, and Regional Rail are all owned and operated by the MBTA. Philedalphia is the same with all forms of public transit being owned and operated by SEPTA. If you look at say the map of Chicago's subway, regional rail lines don't appear either since the Subway is operated by the CTA, while regional rail is operated by METRA. Here as we all know the Subway and Regional Rail are operared by two separate entities (although that may change in a couple of months).
No excuse. The TTC and GO are both big parts of Toronto's transit system, and GO will only become more important as RER gets built out. It makes no sense for the TTC to continue to pretend that they don't exist. Not even the Pearson Express is on the subway map and it's practically an express metro through the west end. People riding rapid transit shouldn't have to worry about which agency owns which lines.

In any case, you've just identified a big part of the problem with transit in Toronto. GO and the TTC should be a single entity, or at least under the same umbrella. The current structure just doesn't work.

As for Chicago, while they do have a map that shows only the CTA rapid transit lines, it also has an official map that shows both CTA and Metra lines. Toronto has no answer to that.

Last edited:
That map you referenced isn't issued by the CTA, but by the Regional Transportation Authority which is a state owned agency meant to oversee the CTA, Metra and Pace. Its Illinois equivelent to Metrolinx.

That map you referenced isn't issued by the CTA, but by the Regional Transportation Authority which is a state owned agency meant to oversee the CTA, Metra and Pace. Its Illinois equivelent to Metrolinx.
I never claimed that the CTA issued the map. Which agency made it isn't the point; the point is it's an official map and that Toronto has no rapid transit map that actually shows all the rapid transit in Toronto.

Back