News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 719     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

We already have elevated rail here in Toronto, and have had it for more than 30 years (ie: the Scarborough SRT). It certainly got people accustomed to it alright, because now everyone wants it buried.
I wonder if a plebiscite was taken for the people of Scarborough if that statement is true. Then again is their opinion based on the brainwashing from politicians on either side or is that an educated opinion...

^ I don't think people in this neck of the woods even care, they just get on the RT and go. The only people who would respond with any sort of meaning would be the poor souls who live next to the RT at Brimley and STC. Even then I wouldn't take much consideration into what they may say since the primary issue on that stretch of the RT is one of maintenance and not overall design.

The main complain there is the transfer at Kennedy. Not many people complain about the elevated line.
Which I tell the same people to cry me a river, because now as it currently stands they will get to enjoy long and unnecessary transfers at Scarborough Town Centre via longer bus commutes. And they can thank their crying about 2 min transfers for it.

We already have elevated rail here in Toronto, and have had it for more than 30 years (ie: the Scarborough SRT). It certainly got people accustomed to it alright, because now everyone wants it buried.
Don't forget also north of Yorkdale the subway is elevated over the 401 as well as the Bloor viaduct and the section by old mill on the Bloor Danforth line. well, none of those examples are like say Chicago or new york in some cases Elevated transit can cost just as much or more to build then it does to build underground.

^to be fair these sections are in suburbs, over valleys, into the woods, industrial areas or hydro corridors. If they go into high density residences, steps from someone's balcony, that is a different story.

Last edited:
^to be fair these sections are in suburbs, over valleys, into the woods, industrial areas or hydro corridors. If they go into high density residences, steps from someone's balcony, that is a different story.
you mean, like the Gardiner? I thought everyone likes the Gardiner in this city (except for us, UT folks).

Nov 08
Weather against me as well time, but some shots of the Mount Dennis Area. You can see the portal opening now since they removed the dirt in front of it. Only saw it from a distance. Concrete been pour for the elevated deck over Black Creek Dr.

They are working on grading the area where the tracks go into/out of the yard before the station. They have built the embankment support for the north west corner where the tracks go to the yard.

Looks like they were pouring concrete deck for the new CP bridge.
30849857147_da876f4880_b.jpg

45789753841_6b9bc66964_b.jpg

45789754961_f8eaa4215a_b.jpg

45789756011_03fe1c07d1_b.jpg

45789758201_83e56d81f5_b.jpg

45789760221_673c10a993_b.jpg

45065106584_ece071cefc_b.jpg

45739802702_0abbc8f92a_b.jpg

Is Mount Dennis Station the only above ground station that has substantial construction done that’s visible? Other than the portals and cut and cover holes of course.
Its the only one I know of, but then its a blue moon I am east of Yonge-Kennedy to see what going on for the surface stations.

I know the last time I was east of Mount Dennis to Eglinton West, saw nothing above ground for the stations for this section.

You can see the east portal clearly, but I have yet to get real close to it.

Work has started on the portal at Kennedy Rd on the east side and excavating the area for the new Kennedy Station.

Oct 30
44944794984_d7c9fefdb3_b.jpg

31797173908_135a7a5906_b.jpg

Can’t believe this thing will be complete in 2 years, 10 months. :eek:

The three westernmost stations will be complete in just 18 months, so trains can begin testing.

Most of the tracks and wiring in the Mount Dennis yard is complete, and waiting for the first cars to arrive by December. Hopefully, power will be on by then, in the yard.

I still think it would be cool if they could modify a CLRV for the inaugural run on the line. Then the mural would come to fruition.

Back