News   Apr 18, 2024
 418     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 372     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Since the TTC was going to be maintaining them it made sense that they could interchange parts with the legacy streetcar fleet like motors and other parts.

The LRVs are Metrolinx property, so I don't think the TTC will want parts they own in Metrolinx vehicles. If TTC owned the ECLRT LRVs, then sure the components could be interchanged (my speculation)

The LRVs are Metrolinx property, so I don't think the TTC will want parts they own in Metrolinx vehicles. If TTC owned the ECLRT LRVs, then sure the components could be interchanged (my speculation)
They are now but when Metrolinx bought them off of the city they were originally part of the Transit City order and an extension of the streetcar contract. Metrolinx just didn't want to pay any changer feres which is what most of the lawsuit was actually about they thought they could use the late delivery of the legacy fleet as a bargaining chip despite the fact that they had nowhere to put all the cars they had on order., even if Bombardier had delivered them to them.

They are now but when Metrolinx bought them off of the city they were originally part of the Transit City order and an extension of the streetcar contract. Metrolinx just didn't want to pay any changer feres which is what most of the lawsuit was actually about they thought they could use the late delivery of the legacy fleet as a bargaining chip despite the fact that they had nowhere to put all the cars they had on order., even if Bombardier had delivered them to them.

The Metrolink LRV's were apart of the Transit City order, and because the Transit City order was not compatible with TTC Track Guage, so are the new Eglinton LRV's

The Metrolink LRV's were apart of the Transit City order, and because the Transit City order was not compatible with TTC Track Guage, so are the new Eglinton LRV's
A different track gauge doesn't mean they can't share common parts like doors, door motors, traction motor and many other things. In railroad terms, the gauge isn't really that much of a difference when it comes to parts for various things. Most of the parts in the Flexity range form Bombardier are interchangeable that's why they used the term flexible meaning that it's flexible for many different systems and not just for the joints between systems. Both vehicles are quite similar as far as parts are concerned and they were chosen to be so because as I said before Metrolinx was put in charge of the Eglinton line it was being built and planned by the city of Toronto. Metlox bought the order of cars off of the city and refused to change the amounts and delivery times in them when the other projects they were being ordered for were either delayed or cancelled.

Are they? Despite very similar appearances on the outside I didn't think they used the same parts bin.
The two differences are currently the different power supplies (600V vs 750V) and different gauges. However, those differences equate to different bogies and ideally different motors (You can theoretically use a motor rated for 750V (whatever the output power is, that information is not available to my knowledge) under 600V, but it will cause more wear on the motor due to the higher currents being supplied). Everything else about the vehicle, with the exception of the aesthetics and the number of doors, is about the same. You can't run them on the same line, but I'd assume you'd be able to use the same parts for pretty much all aspects of each vehicle. (Note, the streetcars also have accessibility ramps which are not present on the existing LRVs, so there are components there that you won't find for the Freedoms).

(Note, the streetcars also have accessibility ramps which are not present on the existing LRVs, so there are components there that you won't find for the Freedoms).
That was a necessity because of the legacy fleet operating in city streets where they couldn't easily add a platform for level boarding and also because the existing platform fights would be a challenge in some places to make a level with the height of the vehicle.

IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG

We already have elevated rail here in Toronto, and have had it for more than 30 years (ie: the Scarborough SRT). It certainly got people accustomed to it alright, because now everyone wants it buried.

Back