News   Apr 24, 2024
 259     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 435     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 472     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

So, what did Bombardier do today?

STATEMENT: Metrolinx’s response to Bombardier Transportation’s motion for an injunction

TORONTO: February 10, 2017 - Metrolinx has been concerned for some time about the performance of Bombardier and their ability to deliver a quality product on time as per the scheduled 2021 opening of the Eglinton Crosstown.

We have repeatedly conveyed our disappointment to Bombardier on its progress to date and in particular that the pilot vehicle is almost two years late and has not yet been delivered.

We have been frank in sharing our reservations about their ability to deliver vehicles on time and to a level of quality we expect.

We are further disappointed that they would take this legal step considering the longstanding relationship Metrolinx has with Bombardier on a number of fronts.

Metrolinx is committed to providing residents of Toronto and the region with improved transit options. Bombardier’s focus should be on getting the all the vehicles delivered on schedule and with the quality expected, not on legal proceedings of this nature.

Metrolinx’s immediate first step is to review the application. We will not comment further at this time.​

Bombardier taking Metrolinx to court

Legal gambit comes three months after Metrolinx signalled it could cancel a $770-million contract for light rail vehicles.

By Ben SpurrTransportation Reporter
Fri., Feb. 10, 2017

Bombardier is taking Metrolinx to court over the transit agency’s “threat” to cancel a $770-million contract for light rail vehicles.

According to a statement from Bombardier, the Quebec-based company filed an injunction against Metrolinx with the Ontario Superior Court on Friday.

The statement cited Metrolinx’s “unjustified threats to terminate our contract.”

“Bombardier has taken this action to protect our employees, protect our legal rights and to allow for the on-time delivery of light rail vehicles to the people of Toronto,” it said.

Metrolinx responded in a statement of its own, in which the provincially-owned transit agency said it was “disappointed” Bombardier had taken legal action.

“We have been frank in sharing our reservations about their ability to deliver vehicles on time and to a level of quality we expect,” the statement said.

“Bombardier’s focus should be on getting the all the vehicles delivered on schedule and with the quality expected, not on legal proceedings of this nature.”

Bombardier’s legal gambit comes three months after Metrolinx issued the company a notice of intention to cancel its contract for up to 182 light rail vehicles.

The two parties reached a deal in 2010 for Metrolinx to purchase the cars, which were to run on the Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West and other Toronto-area light rail lines.

But the order has been plagued by delays.

Bombardier has not yet delivered a pilot vehicle Metrolinx says was scheduled to arrive almost two years ago, and the transit agency has publicly expressed concerns about allowing any problems with the order to affect the opening of the Crosstown, which is scheduled for 2021.

In its statement, Bombardier blamed Metrolinx for the setbacks, asserting that the agency has changed the scope and technical specifications of the project “countless times.”

The company claimed the pilot vehicle was finished, but Metrolinx has refused to take delivery.

“The simple truth is (Bombardier is) fully capable of delivering its trains on time,” the statement said.

Bombardier has been unable to deliver vehicles for another Toronto project on schedule. The TTC has placed a $1-billion order with the company for 204 new streetcars, and the agency was supposed to have more than 100 of the vehicles on its property by now. Bombardier delivered the 31st of these this month.

Earlier this week, the federal government agreed to give Bombardier a $372.5-million interest free loan.

The money is intended to support the company’s aerospace division, which has struggled with delays and cost overruns on its CSeries passenger jet program.

I don't understand how anything that changes with the LRV will make any difference to the delivery of streetcars. If the LRVs for CT and FW are delayed due to specifications changing, then where is the connection with the slow delivery of streetcars for Toronto. Does Bombardier have some dislike for Ontario?

I don't understand how anything that changes with the LRV will make any difference to the delivery of streetcars. If the LRVs for CT and FW are delayed due to specifications changing, then where is the connection with the slow delivery of streetcars for Toronto. Does Bombardier have some dislike for Ontario?
I think it's just metrolink looking for any excuse they can so they can drag their feet even more or they have to admit that they fucked up on their timelines and should have changed them when projects got canceled/ delayed.

I think it's just metrolink looking for any excuse they can so they can drag their feet even more or they have to admit that they fucked up on their timelines and should have changed them when projects got canceled/ delayed.

Interesting theory. I wouldn't rule out some political manoeuvering. Maybe for the reason you mention. Remember last year's upside-down bridge fiasco? Metrolinx vetted the AG report, agreeing 100% that the contractor screwed up big time and that they saved the day. All the while the company got dragged through the mud and reamed by the public and media. Well turns out the story wasn't true, and a month later (when things blew over) Aikins admitted to this and apologized. There was definitely something going on there. Maybe a lie at the expense of others is deemed better than the truth about themselves?

BBD is trying to protect the 10 of millions it has invested in Thunder Bay, Kingston and elsewhere to fix its screw up with its Mexico Plant. Its also trying to save face so it can sell its cars in NA.

Its has been odd from day one as where would Metrolinx test the test car when its has no track in the first place.

If Sheppard East was to be the test bed, it should had open in 2014 as plan and the shit would hit the fan before then regarding the problems on both sides.

Metrolinx continues to demonstrate how incompetency it is not only in running a Regional System, but buying things as well building it. Then BBD has demonstrate that its not a world leader in Transportation its supposed to be by using crap in NA compare world wide and talk from both sides of its mouth.

At the same time, the Province has made a mess of things going back as far as 2006 by doing things on a shoe string and putting people in charge of a transportation organization that lack the background to run it as well plan for the future.

Buying votes with jobs and products at higher cost shows how wasteful it is.

At the end of the day, lines will be built, but open years late and shafting everyone.

Heads need to roll.

Once the legal matter is dealt with, time Metrolinx as well TTC to find other suppliers and they are out there waiting to be call.

The folks in Thunder Bay better start worrying about jobs, as BBD plant could be seeing its last good times.

Once the legal matter is dealt with, time Metrolinx as well TTC to find other suppliers and they are out there waiting to be call.

The folks in Thunder Bay better start worrying about jobs, as BBD plant could be seeing its last good times.
I'm not relly sure if that will happen The TTC is quite happy with both the T1's and the Toronto Rocket trains. Yes the new streetcars are taking their time but they should in no way be dragged into the gong show metrolinx is trying to create by being stupid,

I'm pretty sure the TTC is much happier with their new streetcars than Calgary Transit with their Siemens LRVs.

metrolinx has just been mediocre in all aspects of transit since it was formed. I get ford was elected but at some point something has to give. And as for BBD, no more dealing with companies just because they are canadian.
So a canadian company isn't allowed to bid on contracts being funded by the government of Canada and Ontario. Yes I'm sure they will relly like that lets take high skilled jobs we could have poel doing in Canada and have them done elsewhere. Oh and don't forget lets have the company gettin said vehicles pay import tax and ty on it as well I'm sure the TTC would love to have to pay more for an imported subway train vs having one built in Canada.

Much of any subway train or streetcar is imported already. Remember all the trouble blamed on the Mexican streetcar frames? The issue is how much Canadian content - mostly assembly - is reasonable to expect.

This is pertinent in the streetcar context because the Feds were not full partners (Miller mishandling things and John Baird freaking out - and considering how slowly the cars have arrived I think it's fair to say applying for them under stimulus funding was just dumb) but they get the benefit of the federal income tax these workers pay (and Toronto's residents can hardly seek employment over 1000km from their homes!)

Who is to say Toronto taxpayers shouldn't prize a BBD competitor providing local jobs to assemble vehicles in the 416, as Alstom is doing in Ottawa, over a somewhat higher net Cdn content one built elsewhere (and years behind schedule)

So a canadian company isn't allowed to bid on contracts being funded by the government of Canada and Ontario. Yes I'm sure they will relly like that lets take high skilled jobs we could have poel doing in Canada and have them done elsewhere. Oh and don't forget lets have the company gettin said vehicles pay import tax and ty on it as well I'm sure the TTC would love to have to pay more for an imported subway train vs having one built in Canada.
No one said ban them, just open it up.
Much of any subway train or streetcar is imported already. Remember all the trouble blamed on the Mexican streetcar frames? The issue is how much Canadian content - mostly assembly - is reasonable to expect.

This is pertinent in the streetcar context because the Feds were not full partners (Miller mishandling things and John Baird freaking out - and considering how slowly the cars have arrived I think it's fair to say applying for them under stimulus funding was just dumb) but they get the benefit of the federal income tax these workers pay (and Toronto's residents can hardly seek employment over 1000km from their homes!)

Who is to say Toronto taxpayers shouldn't prize a BBD competitor providing local jobs to assemble vehicles in the 416, as Alstom is doing in Ottawa, over a somewhat higher net Cdn content one built elsewhere (and years behind schedule)
Exactly.

As a loyal blackberry costumer I always argue with my apple friends that they should support Canadian business. I can say that because I believe blackberry products to be close to or on par to apples. I used to see bombardier logos on trains and have a sense of pride. Now I'm embarrassed for them. There comes a point I can't support something just because it's Canadian. And what motivation are we giving them to improve if they know we will never leave them.

Back