News   Apr 24, 2024
 59     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 579     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

^Much in agreement on almost all points.

Just to add a note of more objective clarity than headline news stories, this is worth posting:
September 10, 2018 by David Kennedy On-Site Construction Magazine

TORONTO—Metrolinx, Infrastructure Ontario and the Crosslinx Transit Solutions consortium building Toronto’s Eglinton Crosstown light rail project have resolved a dispute over the project’s timeline and budget.

The three parties involved in construction of the new $5.3 billion LRT agreed last week to a “revised production schedule and accountabilities” that will keep the project on schedule and within its original budget.

In a statement released Sept. 6, Metrolinx President and CEO Phil Verster said the agreement would not lead to any additional costs for Ontario taxpayers, though he did not release any details, citing commercial confidentiality.

According to the Globe and Mail, the agreement involves more money for Crosslinx to solve some unforeseen problems and possibly implement a 24-hour work schedule in certain underground sections of the project. It says the consortium, made up of ACS-Dragados, Aecon, EllisDon and SNC-Lavalin, will be paid through a project contingency fund.

The resolution shelves a Crosslinx suit filed in July seeking more money to complete the major 25-station project. Earlier, transit agency Metrolinx had responded by filing an application to have the claim stayed. The application was set to be heard in court Sept. 11, but with the revised agreement in place, will no longer be necessary.

Metrolinx said it will continue working with the Crosslinx team and Infrastructure Ontario to finish the P3 project, adding that the build team “has the ability to complete the construction and meet the in-service date.”

The multibillion-dollar light rail line—much of which is underground—is the largest transit project underway in the country. It is scheduled to open in September 2021, linking numerous subway stations, bus routes and GO Train lines.
https://www.on-sitemag.com/financin...keeping-project-on-time-on-budget/1003960223/

I'll continue to dig to find more on the 'integrity' of that 'contingency fund'.

Snapped this photo today: an east-west excavation on the south side of the Eglinton overpass at the Stouffville Line. I think it may be the Kennedy LRT station box.
FullSizeRender-8.jpg

Doug Ford:

Having streetcars downtown isn't a war on cars; adding a tax on advertising vehicles that directly use fossil fuels is.

Even a 1% tax on all internal combustion engine car commercials in Ontario would generate enough revenue to fund some large-scale public transit projects.

Oh, and Doug Ford needs to visit Bangkok one day.

Doug Ford:

Having streetcars downtown isn't a war on cars; adding a tax on advertising vehicles that directly use fossil fuels is.

Even a 1% tax on all internal combustion engine car commercials in Ontario would generate enough revenue to fund some large-scale public transit projects.

Oh, and Doug Ford needs to visit Bangkok one day.

Even though it is off topic, I agree with your comments.

Note the delivery spur at the bottom right corner at 0:26 into the video. I like how even if a freight train were to accidentally get switched into it, it would derail at the end buffer rather than enter the EMSF and wreak havoc. Great design!

My best guess, freight trains will back a flatcar with a new LRV into the spur in the direction of the blue arrow, then the vehicles will be towed down a ramp into the EMSF along the red arrow:

EMSF_Spur.png

Why doesn't it show the on surface construction east of Science Centre?
Not much has really be done on the above grade sections in terms of station construction, so there's really nothing to show at this point. Utility reconstruction/relocation is really what has been taking place so far.

I honestly thought they would have been further ahead by now. It doesn't even look like they've really started utility relocation between science centre and Kennedy, and there's still huge amounts of work to be done at all stations. With 2 1/2 years left, I have my doubts, hopefully things go according to plan.

Surface work is ultimately just a road project; I'm not seeing anything concerning in the timeline yet...

I honestly thought they would have been further ahead by now. It doesn't even look like they've really started utility relocation between science centre and Kennedy, and there's still huge amounts of work to be done at all stations. With 2 1/2 years left, I have my doubts, hopefully things go according to plan.

The footage used in the video is quite old, dating back to September or so. They had done a reasonable amount of work on the surface sections of the line, and since then they have started putting the final curbs along much of it. They've even dug the trench where the ROW will be built between Pharmacy and Victoria Park.

Dan

Back