Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx | Page 947

Discussion in 'Transportation and Infrastructure' started by Undying42, Mar 25, 2008.

1. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

Plus the line will get delayed even further.

AoD

2. cplchanb

cplchanb Senior Member

I must say these contractors are just pure mafia crooks (ie SNC...). Sure metrolinx isnt a shining example but this timeline was known for years and to make an excuse for more money is just political games.
    They knew what they were getting into and they really shoulve priced accordingly, unless there is indeed such a significant departure from the plans that would require $1B (!) more.
    Either that or the engineers who designed the system made significant errors or revisions to the tender drawings.

3. raptor

raptor Senior Member

That's all true, however I can't see what they have to lose with this lawsuit. Given the timing, looks like a it's a sure win for them

steveintoronto likes this.
  4. crs1026

crs1026 Senior Member

Every large project has a Claims process where the contractor can seek relief for things that went wrong, change orders, unforeseens, etc. Usually that’s a cleanup process that happens towards the end of the project, but it can lead into the courts.
    The timing on this is interesting - any number of potential reasons, one being the project is at loggerheads over things, another being that with Wynne gone the vendor is finally able to bring things to light, or as noted there could be a cash flow problem. After the Bombardier debacle, ML’s credibility is not high, so my Spidey senses are tingling.

- Paul

5. cplchanb

cplchanb Senior Member

Thats true. Being in the construction industry myself if there needs to be a change or a fix they action first and then claim afterwards. As mentioned the timing seems like they were scheming on suing from the onset knowing that a change in govt would lead to turmoil during the transition. Dirty politics and profiteering I must say at the expense of the everyday citizen. Crosslinx has the typical me first and money mentality which isnt wrong, but just a real dick move at a critical point of the project.

6. ShonTron

ShonTron Moderator

Or simply that the contractor decided not to go ahead with a lawsuit too close to the election period, and was sitting on this for a few months. Now a government is formed.

7. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Senior Member

The rumblings have been around for the last six months on this. I really can't see any epiphany from Crosslinx with the election outcome,, I suspect it's just a case of serendipity.

If anything, Crosslinx need to protect contract(s) as written even more with a Dougie Dog who loves to rip up contracts like toys. There were massive delays on the project, and that always pushes up costs that are usually settled by discussion and/or arbitration. But lawsuits are tools of the trade too: (And this can go both ways)
    http://constructionexec.com/article/litigation-risks-in-public-private-partnerships

8. cplchanb

cplchanb Senior Member

well regardless, they need to keep the project going in order to mitigate it becoming a gongshow a la the line 1 extension. The last thing anyone wants is to have construction stop while the shitshow gets sorted whatever direction.

9. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Senior Member

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2018/03/22/doug-ford-government-will-transit/

I'm not quite as sure...

10. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

Ah interesting.

What about the existing TTC to GO tunnel. Hopefully it remains, or it will actually make for a longer walk than now, connecting from Line 2 (and especially Line 3) to GO.

11. hw621

hw621 Active Member

I think it is 7 in the rendering.

12. Miscreant

Miscreant Senior Member

Yep, it does. I lived in Boston for almost 7 years. The Green Line is notorious for bad service. But it depends on which branch you get one. The B line out to Boston College from Kenmore is the worst, since it goes through Boston University and Allston. The C line is better, which takes you through Brookline. The D line is not bad.

It stops at all lights, and is painfully slow and often jammed to the gills. That being said, I used Boston's T daily and overall it's better than the TTC, despite how loathed it is by Bostonians. The fare card system in particular is easy and virtually flawless/idiot proof.

hw621 likes this.
  13. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Superstar

I found I really disliked Boston's system when I visited a few years ago. Old, ratty, completely falling apart. The TTC feels much cleaner and more comfortable.

Andy_in_Toronto likes this.
  14. Miscreant

Miscreant Senior Member

It depends on what lines you were using. The blue line is new and quite nice; the orange line is old, but not overly. The red line as well. If you were using the green line, then yes, it's in rough shape. But overall the system runs more smoothly and efficiently than the TTC.

15. robmausser

robmausser Senior Member

Most of the preWW2 systems in North America are like that.

Chicago and NY system is filthy and rusted out.

[​IMG]