UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
OMB Settlement Leads to Design, Usage Changes at 470 Wilson
ALSO

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

raptor

I must say these contractors are just pure mafia crooks (ie SNC...). Sure metrolinx isnt a shining example but this timeline was known for years and to make an excuse for more money is just political games.
They knew what they were getting into and they really shoulve priced accordingly, unless there is indeed such a significant departure from the plans that would require $1B (!) more.
Either that or the engineers who designed the system made significant errors or revisions to the tender drawings.
That's all true, however I can't see what they have to lose with this lawsuit. Given the timing, looks like a it's a sure win for them

crs1026

Every large project has a Claims process where the contractor can seek relief for things that went wrong, change orders, unforeseens, etc. Usually that’s a cleanup process that happens towards the end of the project, but it can lead into the courts.
The timing on this is interesting - any number of potential reasons, one being the project is at loggerheads over things, another being that with Wynne gone the vendor is finally able to bring things to light, or as noted there could be a cash flow problem. After the Bombardier debacle, ML’s credibility is not high, so my Spidey senses are tingling.

- Paul

cplchanb

Every large project has a Claims process where the contractor can seek relief for things that went wrong, change orders, unforeseens, etc. Usually that’s a cleanup process that happens towards the end of the project, but it can lead into the courts.
The timing on this is interesting - any number of potential reasons, one being the project is at loggerheads over things, another being that with Wynne gone the vendor is finally able to bring things to light, or as noted there could be a cash flow problem. After the Bombardier debacle, ML’s credibility is not high, so my Spidey senses are tingling.

- Paul
Thats true. Being in the construction industry myself if there needs to be a change or a fix they action first and then claim afterwards. As mentioned the timing seems like they were scheming on suing from the onset knowing that a change in govt would lead to turmoil during the transition. Dirty politics and profiteering I must say at the expense of the everyday citizen. Crosslinx has the typical me first and money mentality which isnt wrong, but just a real dick move at a critical point of the project.

The timing on this is interesting - any number of potential reasons, one being the project is at loggerheads over things, another being that with Wynne gone the vendor is finally able to bring things to light, or as noted there could be a cash flow problem.
Or simply that the contractor decided not to go ahead with a lawsuit too close to the election period, and was sitting on this for a few months. Now a government is formed.

Or simply that the contractor decided not to go ahead with a lawsuit too close to the election period, and was sitting on this for a few months. Now a government is formed.
The rumblings have been around for the last six months on this. I really can't see any epiphany from Crosslinx with the election outcome,, I suspect it's just a case of serendipity.

If anything, Crosslinx need to protect contract(s) as written even more with a Dougie Dog who loves to rip up contracts like toys. There were massive delays on the project, and that always pushes up costs that are usually settled by discussion and/or arbitration. But lawsuits are tools of the trade too: (And this can go both ways)
Litigation Risks in Public-private Partnerships
Tuesday, July 25, 2017
P3
[...]
LITIGATION BETWEEN PARTIES TO THE AGREEMENT
A well-drafted P3 contract should have a dispute resolution clause providing for some type of mandatory notification of the alleged default(s), an opportunity to cure the same and, perhaps, even a mandatory alternative dispute resolution procedure to be used before a lawsuit may be filed. Governments typically loathe spending money on litigation of any sort. Accordingly, the agreement should be drafted to encourage the informal resolution of minor or easily curable issues without (the threat of) litigation.

Private partners most often find themselves as defendants in a suit filed by the government partner as a result of issues like grave construction flaws (such as the collapsing tunnel ceiling that killed a Boston woman as a result of shoddy work on the Big Dig); a major ambiguity in the underlying agreement; or a serious error on the private entity’s part in calculating or preparing its bid. Importantly, the risk associated with all such issues can be managed in advance; doing so may require more time and the investment of additional resources, economic and otherwise, on the front end, but the risk of failing to do so is considerable. Consulting with an attorney at the beginning of a P3 relationship can pay major dividends by entirely avoiding or significantly mitigating future litigation costs.
[...]
http://constructionexec.com/article/litigation-risks-in-public-private-partnerships

cplchanb

The rumblings have been around for the last six months on this. I really can't see any epiphany from Crosslinx with the election outcome,, I suspect it's just a case of serendipity.

If anything, Crosslinx need to protect contract(s) as written even more with a Dougie Dog who loves to rip up contracts like toys. There were massive delays on the project, and that always pushes up costs that are usually settled by discussion and/or arbitration. But lawsuits are tools of the trade too: (And this can go both ways)

http://constructionexec.com/article/litigation-risks-in-public-private-partnerships
well regardless, they need to keep the project going in order to mitigate it becoming a gongshow a la the line 1 extension. The last thing anyone wants is to have construction stop while the shitshow gets sorted whatever direction.

[...]
If Ford does pull the plug, as brother Rob famously attempted to on day one of his mayoralty, everyone should know that he’ll be setting fire to a whole lot of taxpayer dollars. According to Metrolinx, the province has budgeted $10 billion for the five big Greater Toronto LRT lines (Eglinton, Finch, Sheppard, Hurontario and Hamilton), of which $4.2 billion has been spent. Most, of course, has gone to the Eglinton Crosstown.

I’d say there’s virtually zero chance that a Ford government would stop that project because the sunk costs are so great, the cancelation penalties so steep.
[...]
http://spacing.ca/toronto/2018/03/22/doug-ford-government-will-transit/

I'm not quite as sure...

Miscreant

Does it have to wait at traffic lights?
Yep, it does. I lived in Boston for almost 7 years. The Green Line is notorious for bad service. But it depends on which branch you get one. The B line out to Boston College from Kenmore is the worst, since it goes through Boston University and Allston. The C line is better, which takes you through Brookline. The D line is not bad.

It stops at all lights, and is painfully slow and often jammed to the gills. That being said, I used Boston's T daily and overall it's better than the TTC, despite how loathed it is by Bostonians. The fare card system in particular is easy and virtually flawless/idiot proof.

Miscreant

I found I really disliked Boston's system when I visited a few years ago. Old, ratty, completely falling apart. The TTC feels much cleaner and more comfortable.
It depends on what lines you were using. The blue line is new and quite nice; the orange line is old, but not overly. The red line as well. If you were using the green line, then yes, it's in rough shape. But overall the system runs more smoothly and efficiently than the TTC.

It depends on what lines you were using. The blue line is new and quite nice; the orange line is old, but not overly. The red line as well. If you were using the green line, then yes, it's in rough shape. But overall the system runs more smoothly and efficiently than the TTC.
I took the red, orange, green, and silver lines while I was there. The Silver line was nice and new, but very odd given the massive amount of infrastructure for a friggen bus.

I found that the red line was quite ratty, and the station I used (Harvard) looked like it dated from about the 1970's. The train was absolutely ancient. Only one of the two doors on the subway car opened when entering the train.

From what I recall the frequency was way lower. I remember waiting 5-6 minutes almost every time I took a train.

I find New York's system to be cleaner than Boston.. but Toronto is a more pleasant system than either of them.

smallspy

But overall the system runs more smoothly and efficiently than the TTC.
I've never heard anyone - and that includes employees - ever describe the MBTA as "...runs more smoothly and efficiently than X".

Considering that the newly-minted TTC CEO got his start at MBTA and helped oversee the design and entry to service of the disastrous Type 8 LRV, I shudder to think if there was ever a day that the MBTA does run better than the TTC.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.