News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 439     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 769     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

The MOU (released March 31, 2011) said ...
I don't believe that draft MOU was ever agreed to by both parties and was not signed. Normally the references are to the 2012 MOU which I don't believe references a 2011 version.

A bigger question is there a new 2018 MOU signed before the election is called. It's unclear to me what that agreement is.

Once Ford was stabbed in the back, it no longer became about transit and he was trying to play catch-up in the political games that were started by the others.
LOL, I don't think that when one is by one's own admission too stoned and inebriated to function, that the appropriate term is "stabbed in the back"!

Particularly with the chief architects being either long-term Progressive Conservatives or Ford appointees!

Besides it saved us from the mistake of trying to grade-seperate between Don Mills and Kennedy, preserving the genius and cost-effectiveness of the Transit City vision for this rapid transit line!

Besides it saved us from the mistake of trying to grade-seperate between Don Mills and Kennedy, preserving the genius and cost-effectiveness of the Transit City vision for this rapid transit line!

Ignoring everything east of Kennedy, yes the Transit City proposal is good. But then we have Line 3, which logically could have connected to this Crosstown. And correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the *original* vision to link up the in-median Eglinton portion with Line 3, something later rejected by TTC as operationally mediocre and thus dropped? Which I guess may also explain why Scarborough-Malvern LRT was its own line and not a continuation of Crosstown as it is now. In other words the Transit City vision for Eglinton East of Don Mills was already brought down a few notches from the vision that preceded it, and thus not all that genius.

The McGuinty MOU wasn't perfect, and is the epitome of Metrolinx being spineless yes-men (tunneling below the E and W Don River no Qs asked...gimme a break). But by many metrics it would've been better than the SSE debacle.

This is the expected answer right?
F7C47615-D102-4BB4-9EC5-A7E23B28EE7E.jpeg

This then made me realize that it’s possible that the TTC may not know much about the Crosstown other than what’s available to the public. Where the information will be obtained when the stations get handed over. Is this a possibility?

Attachments

• F7C47615-D102-4BB4-9EC5-A7E23B28EE7E.jpeg
    F7C47615-D102-4BB4-9EC5-A7E23B28EE7E.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
View attachment 151270

This then made me realize that it’s possible that the TTC may not know much about the Crosstown other than what’s available to the public. Where the information will be obtained when the stations get handed over. Is this a possibility?

How can the TTC not know about this when the design of the Crosstown itself / crossover tracks in this area are clearly dependent on the expected ridership and subsequent service schedule? Astonishing.

How can the TTC not know about this when the design of the Crosstown itself / crossover tracks in this area are clearly dependent on the expected ridership and subsequent service schedule? Astonishing.
Perhaps that *is* the answer? They just don't know...about a lot of things.
Are you criticizing my observation (assumption) or the TTC?
He's making your point even more emphatically...

Like with TYSSE, I don’t expect the precise and detailed service plan (similar to the TTC Service Summary) to be drafted until months before opening.

View attachment 151270

I also wonder to what degree ML will be calling the shots with regards to service planning. I wonder this because, as of a few months ago, ML wanted to operate FWLRT with 5 to 8 min frequencies, which would be an astonishingly poor level of service for a surface route, and for what is ostensibly a rapid transit route.

I suspect that the truth is more that Brad Ross has no idea what the plans are. My friends in the service planning department have been working on-and-off on service delivery for when the line opens for quite some time - to the point at which they are already planning on the changes necessary to the bus routes across Eglinton.

That said, there is still 3 years or so left before the line is scheduled to open, and ridership patterns may yet change.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

We won't know for sure at this time, but thinking logically ..

- Demand east of Yonge will be higher than west of Yonge. East of Yonge, the frequent and busy 54 Lawrence East bus will entirely feed into ECLRT at Don Mills. Moreover, the ridership from the dense Flemmington Park neighborhood is split between Eglinton and the routes going to Pape today, but once the faster ECLRT opens, more of those riders will shift to ECLRT. In the west on the other hand, all 3 major bus routes (Bathurst, Dufferin, Keele) intersecting ECLRT have direct connection to Bloor subway, plus the Eglinton West station will take some of the transfers.

- Demand east of Yonge still fits comfortably into the line's capacity (unless the forecasts are way off mark). Two-car trains on 3-min headways (20 trains per hour) can handle 7,000 riders per hour per direction. So, it is just a matter of running enough trains.

- Once you run enough trains to handle the demand east of Yonge, same trains will run west of Yonge and handle the demand there. If so, then what's the point of running short-turn trains just to Laird?

The Laird crossover may be handy in emergencies, but I don't see it being used for regular short-turns, at least for the first few years after the line opens.

I suspect that the truth is more that Brad Ross has no idea what the plans are.

Nor would anyone concerned with their personal and their employer's credibility release a firm finely detailed plan at this early date, knowing that much can change in the interim.

"But.... But.... But..... Last year, Brad Ross said that plan would be......." would be the typical UT response when the thing got tweaked. Never mind the media and "official" pundits......

- Paul

my understanding was always that they were planning 3 minute service fro Mount Pleasant to Laird, with every other train then turning back, resulting in 6 minute service on the surface.

This could then be ramped up over time as ridership increases.

Not that there's anything wrong with this tread, but should it be renamed to have more information? TTC: Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Metrolinx)

Ok, I am sure its been mentioned before but this is really on my mind, how is 15,000 ppdph ever going to be enough for the Crosstown (and that's only realistically the capacity of the tunneled section)?

To give some context in Vancouver the Canada Line has a similar max buildout capacity (though it's not fully utilized yet) and already carries almost 7k ppdph in the peak, that's with the trains at absolute crush load too, with the additional trains that were recently ordered capacity will be nearly 10k and the latent demand will likely fill that very quickly (people certainly avoid the line due to all the crowding). I cannot imagine how Eglinton will not suffer the exact same issues (and worse) given the density on Eglinton is already higher and I'm sure given the size of the GTA the redevelopment along the street will be even more significant than on Cambie (the street the Canada line runs under). Sure we might have enough capacity for day 1 but I really doubt it's going to be enough in even 20 years after the line opens.

Given that Vancouver is already trying to figure out how to fix the mess that is the Canada Line I really wonder if we should be questioning why we'd be going for such a low max capacity on such a significant project, it seems really risky . . .

I wonder if we will see the Line Split at Laird with the grade separated portion, fully automated (or operated automatically with attendants to satisfy the unions) and get new LRV's that operate as single vehicles, what kind of capacities could we push the line to if we did that and added platform screen doors etc?

That number is vastly overstated -- 7,500-9K is more accurate because they vastly overstate the capacity of a Flexity.

All those "improvements" will do little to increase capacity limitations that the line may have, and will be super costly. They should have built the line as a subway and shelved Sheppard (which they ended up doing anyway). If there is one existing project that should've/should be built as a subway, it's the Eglinton Crosstown. We did not need a subway to Vaughan, nor need an LRT on Sheppard.

We know how slow the door situation on the Outlooks can be, so the crosstown needs to doaway with that to decrease dwell times, and they also need longer LRVs (like the Citadis) to even scratch the surface on available capacity.

Back