News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 855     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I know this topic has come up in the past, but based on station progression do you think it would be possible/a good idea to open up the eastern section of the line before the central/western section?

I know it doesnt really make a lot of sense to have a line that doesnt connect to the central lines, but it may still be beneficial to have a express transit line to Kennedy as well as to work out any additional bugs or issues. In addition it would get people used to using the line when it finally does open in its entirety.

I know this topic has come up in the past, but based on station progression do you think it would be possible/a good idea to open up the eastern section of the line before the central/western section?

I know it doesnt really make a lot of sense to have a line that doesnt connect to the central lines, but it may still be beneficial to have a express transit line to Kennedy as well as to work out any additional bugs or issues. In addition it would get people used to using the line when it finally does open in its entirety.

It would be virtually impossible. The maintenance facilities are out near Mount Dennis and vehicles would need to pass through the closed sections to get there.

I doubt they will because if I were them I would want to retain as much leverage for getting everything done properly as I possibly can. I would assume opening up to some degree would involve signing off on the completion of aspects of the project and the releasing of funds to Crosslinx. The less financial leverage there is to complete the work, the less incentive there is to hurry up and do it right.

to be followed by new digs because they discovered a problem that needs digging up the road again.

Man Toronto is the worst for that. They will pave a road clean and then like within 2 years Bell, Rogers, Toronto Hydro, city water will come in and do their work and completely make it a patchy mess. Like, theres no coordination. They should make the work known for utility work before resurfacing and then fine utility companies every time they dig up a road (for non emergency servicings) thats less than 5 years old resurfaced.

Our own @ProjectEnd did a great Twitter thread on all the development happening along the eastern section of this route last Friday.

This particular tweet stood out, in relation to this thread:

1629822334860.png

I happen to share his concerns.

^What are those things in the very bottom rightcorner of those images? Forms for concrete? Or prefab track panels?

- Paul

Taken from the website - http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/eglinton-station:

"Eglinton Station will be an underground station located at the busy Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue intersection. As an interchange station, Eglinton Station will be one of the busiest on the Crosstown, and will provide a direct connection to the existing Eglinton Station on Line 1."

Good thing they planned this LRT underground if it was above grade the traffic would become worse!

Good thing they planned this LRT underground if it was above grade the traffic would become worse!
Reminds me of Ottawa's pre-Confederation Line LRT plan, which was entirely grade separated in the suburbs, but became a streetcar downtown where naturally, it would have become bogged down in traffic, and been no better than the buses it was meant to replace. Truly one of the dumbest transit plans in a long time. Thank god we didn't do that here.

Reminds me of Ottawa's pre-Confederation Line LRT plan, which was entirely grade separated in the suburbs, but became a streetcar downtown where naturally, it would have become bogged down in traffic, and been no better than the buses it was meant to replace. Truly one of the dumbest transit plans in a long time. Thank god we didn't do that here.
Calgary did that. Edmonton build a central subway. Which system is more successful after 40 years?

We can all generally agree Calgary has reach more of the city as it didn't threw all the eggs in one basket. Yes it's dumb to have a streetcar segment (mix traffic with buses) in Downtown Calgary. At least more residents can get to the LRT so they can get downtown unlike the superior subway in Edmonton which is roamed by beggars harassing riders.

Back