News   Jan 18, 2022
 2.6K     1 
News   Jan 18, 2022
 1.5K     3 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

H4F33Z

Member Bio
Reaction score
Repaving and lane marking installation east of Don Mills to Wynford has just started. This also includes the shitty painted bike lanes too!

IMG_20210816_172917461.jpg

IMG_20210816_173005687.jpg

IMG_20210816_173045262.jpg

Not even buffered or protected under the DVP. Where it could desperately use protection in the dark.
IMG_20210816_173135820.jpg

Oh boy, can't wait for a right hook. Why didn't they just make the raised bike lanes parallel with the sidewalk? Eglinton has the largest freaking right of ways in the city.
IMG_20210816_173213957.jpg

Remember, these are actually the better, "buffered" bike lanes. Buffered shitty bike lane. Can't imagine how narrow the bike lane will be east of Victoria Park.

I'm still angry that Metrolinx had 11 years to refine the design on the bike lanes, yet lazily painted these lanes. This was an amazing opportunity to make Eglinton a perfect and safe bikable crosstown route like bloor, but is now unsafe and disjointed.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Seems like no one wants to pay to rebuild the overpass to accommodate a better bike lane. Alternative they can just screw traffic, narrow the roadway to one lane each direction and let everyone jam on the ramps. Probably not a good idea either.

Personally I believe the only high quality bike lanes are the ones that's grade separated from highway traffic ramps. Something no one is interested in investing in.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Repaving and lane marking installation east of Don Mills to Wynford has just started. This also includes the shitty painted bike lanes too!

View attachment 341966

View attachment 341967
View attachment 341969
Not even buffered or protected under the DVP. Where it could desperately use protection in the dark.
View attachment 341970
Oh boy, can't wait for a right hook. Why didn't they just make the raised bike lanes parallel with the sidewalk? Eglinton has the largest freaking right of ways in the city.
View attachment 341971
Remember, these are actually the better, "buffered" bike lanes. Buffered shitty bike lane. Can't imagine how narrow the bike lane will be east of Victoria Park.

I'm still angry that Metrolinx had 11 years to refine the design on the bike lanes, yet lazily painted these lanes. This was an amazing opportunity to make Eglinton a perfect and safe bikable crosstown route like bloor, but is now unsafe and disjointed.
Dude, it's 2021. I cannot believe we are still building bike infrastructure like this.

Even as a regular car driver I much prefer driving on streets with physically separated bike lanes. It keeps the cars where the cars should be, the cyclists where they should be, and I can drive without ever worrying about a cyclist accidentally coming in my lane or vice versa. We gotta do better than this.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Being generous, It did look like the roof is still wide open to the elements, so a certain amount of rainwater probably got in during some of the recent storms.

However, sure looked like there was seepage down the walls at track level. A bit troubling.

Dust abatement?

- Paul

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe these lanes were specced back in 2012 or 2013 - bike lane design standards were way worse back then.

The Finch LRT has far better specced bike lanes, including a tunnel around the 400 interchange, as it was tendered later and could have more modern design standards applied.

You see the same thing with the Viva BRT projects - the initial lanes on Highway 7 in Markham haver fairly poor painted lanes but the more recent portions like in Thornhill have curb separated cycle tracks.

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's the speed limit for motorists along Eglinton Avenue? 50 km/h? 60 km/h? The traffic lanes look like they are DESIGNED for speeders doing 100+ km/h.
unless you put roundabouts and speed bumps every 200m every straight road has people speeding very fast in the dead of night...

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Instead of "speed bumps", use "raised crosswalks".

Big concern for that is long term viability with heavy traffic and buses. This is good for quiet neighbourhoods but not feasible long term for a major artery road like Eglinton. Guarantee there will be refurbs of those every 5 years due to heavy usage and buses forming depressions over time when they drive over them