News   Mar 28, 2024
 389     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

In respect of what most Botannical Gardens are known for, I don't think there's a case for that.

Wilket Creek Park, the area in question, is entirely natural but for the Bike Path.

I wouldn't want to see that become 'curated' gardens.

I'm all for expanding TBG, but the logical spot is the Church/school property to the south along Leslie; after which one could examine expansion on the Bridle Path side, though that's some seriously expensive real estate.
Doesn't need to be "curated". Could be "wild" flowers, shrubs, grasses, and trees in a more natural setting along a path.

Doesn't need to be "curated". Could be "wild" flowers, shrubs, grasses, and trees in a more natural setting along a path.

That's what is there now? (unless you mean the portion along the Sunnybrook Road itself.)

According to the "expansion" plan, it is centred on its current location at Lawrence & Leslie. See link.

TORONTO BOTANICAL GARDEN + EDWARDS GARDENS MASTER PLAN

The master plan has been developed from extensive consultation between partners and stakeholders as well as the public. This consultation resulted in the following unifying vision: An internationally recognized botanical garden within the City of Toronto.
The “Big Moves” of the master plan include:
1. Connecting the western and eastern tablelands, through an enhanced accessible trail infrastructure.
2. Expanding the amenities and programs on both the eastern and western tablelands to take advantage of existing activities, features, vistas, and future opportunities.
3. Providing a grand gateway entrance, visible from the street and connecting the pedestrian and vehicular entrances to the site.
4. Respecting sensitive natural features and processes, and regulations relating to floodplains, slopes, ravines and Environmentally Significant Areas. Enhancing and restoring degraded areas within the Wilket Creek floodplain.
5. Creating safe circulation for the public by considering maintenance vehicles and the required access needed for operations, as well as separated cycling access through a garden bypass trail to which connects to the ravine valley multi-use trail system.
6. Creating a separate area for maintenance on the southwestern edge of the site, so these functions can be relocated from where they are currently, surrounding the event space and are intermingled with display gardens.
7. Increasing parking.
Note that #7 is "Increasing parking". Zero about connecting with Line 5 at Sunnybrook Park. The car is still "king".

I'll bet more people visit the Montreal Botanical Gardens than the Toronto Botanical Gardens.

Could it because the Montreal version is close to the Pie-IX Metro Station?

1629328889124.png

From link.

Toronto (and Ontario) should be looking at how to make its attractions more accessible to the public transit users. The Toronto Botanical Gardens is one bad example. Other examples are the Toronto Zoo and Ontario Place. At least, the Ontario Science Centre will be improved, except for its own safari from the station to the entrance, for about ten years when the Ontario Line is completed.

I'll bet more people visit the Montreal Botanical Gardens than the Toronto Botanical Gardens.

Could it because the Montreal version is close to the Pie-IX Metro Station?

In fairness the TBG is a much more modest garden than the one in Montreal, they can hardly be spoken of in the same breath.

There's also another factor; The Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington is competition for TBG...........or really not so much, again its a much larger, much more substantial facility.

There's one that could really use enhanced transit access.

Aldershot Station is quite close, but just have a look on Streetview at how you would get from the station to the Gardens on foot.......or by bike, not a nice journey at all.

Toronto (and Ontario) should be looking at how to make its attractions more accessible to the public transit users. The Toronto Botanical Gardens is one bad example.

The Toronto Botanical Gardens isn't ideally situated for transit access. That's true. But, of course, the park is here for other reasons (regulatory flood plain, Mr. Edwards, for whom Edwards Gardens was named, also chose to sell, specifically to Metro Toronto, with the intent of preserving the space as parkland).

The 'Botanical Garden' as tourist draw was not really thought of then.........

Other examples are the Toronto Zoo and Ontario Place. At least, the Ontario Science Centre will be improved, except for its own safari from the station to the entrance, for about ten years when the Ontario Line is completed.

The Zoo is getting a number of transit-related improvements; though it still won't be ideal.

At any rate, we're getting well away from the subject of this thread.........

Last edited:
In fairness the TBG is a much more modest garden than the one in Montreal, they can hardly be spoken of in the same breath.

There's also another factor; The Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington is competition for TBG...........or really not so much, again its a much larger, much more substantial facility.

There's one that could really use enhanced transit access.

Aldershot Station is quote close, but just have a look on Streetview at how you would from the station to the Gardens on foot.......or by bike, not a nice journey at all.

Route 1 in Burlington is the best bus service in the city just unfortunately doesn't stop at the GO station. Its 10-15 min frequency depending on the time of day an I expect that to improve as plains is developed more and more.

It does stop on the street at Burlington GO(2 min walk) and its east terminus is Appleby GO

Bus stop is only a 5 min walk though and takes you to RBG door step.

Route 1 in Burlington is the best bus service in the city just unfortunately doesn't stop at the GO station. Its 10-15 min frequency depending on the time of day an I expect that to improve as plains is developed more and more.

It does stop on the street at Burlington GO(2 min walk) and its east terminus is Appleby GO

Bus stop is only a 5 min walk though and takes you to RBG door step.
Oh and it goes to Hamiltons downtown bus terminal.

Pretty sure HSR buses stop at RBG too

Still too much parking
Fully agree. Should be at 50% or less.

I like shopping at this NO Frills store and hope it remains and not become an upscale one. I would add a 2nd one, but this is Choice lands.
Oh and it goes to Hamiltons downtown bus terminal.

Pretty sure HSR buses stop at RBG too
HRS doesn't service the RBG the last time I was there. Getting there from Aldershot is a plain joke since next to no one gets pickup at the GO station in the first place and a long walk to Plains road In most cases I was the only one getting pickup going in either direction. With the new development there now, maybe a few more riders and haven't been there in a few years since I did my last bus rider from the station other than getting a GO bus.

Last edited:
Fully agree. Should be at 50% or less.

I like shopping at this NO Frills store and hope it remains and not become an upscale one. I would add a 2nd one, but this is Choice lands.

HRS doesn't service the RBG the last time I was there. Getting there from Aldershot is a plain joke since next to no one gets pickup at the GO station in the first place and a long walk to Plains road In most cases I was the only one getting pickup going in either direction. With the new development there now, maybe a few more riders and haven't been there in a few years since I did my last bus rider from the station other than getting a GO bus.

Only the HSR 9 Rock Gardens bus serves RBG, but that’s long been a Sunday-only route designed to serve the many cemeteries. Burlington Transit Route 1 does provide decent service, and there was a free shuttle bus between the three garden areas until COVID. I’ve done that once.

A car, however, is good to have for RBG.

But at least it’s not McMichael Gallery level inaccessible.

I doubt we are going to need them as it is designed to go with the flow of traffic on the street and doesn't cross streets at any point other than at a normal cross street.
They should test out the "transit priority", as it is supposed to be, on The Queensway. Maybe after the K-Q-Q-R intersection is finished, April 2022? Likely they won't, because the single-occupant motorist has priority for the city hall's powers-that-be.

They should test out the "transit priority", as it is supposed to be, on The Queensway. Maybe after the K-Q-Q-R intersection is finished, April 2022? Likely they won't, because the single-occupant motorist has priority for the city hall's powers-that-be.
How does that relate to the idea of crossing gates being used on the Eglinton crosstown line? Also do people who suggest them actually understand what they are used for specifically?

Back