IMG_0917.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0920.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg
IMG_0922.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0924.jpg

. About the rubber. Is this the rubber placed underneath the tracks themselves to cushion them for less noise and a smooth ride? I saw it being placed all the way from Ionview to Vic Park and wherever tracks were being laid.
The rails are already installed on their isolating rubber pads.

The remaining rubber surrounds are simply to protect and isolate the rails from whatever surface treatment is given to the ROW, be it low density poured concrete or whatever type of "greenway" they decide to use.

Dan

^Not too proud to ask... is that puddle on the previously poured roof of the tunnel? Or, is it the floor of the tunnel, and the roof has yet to be poured?

- Paul

^Not too proud to ask... is that puddle on the previously poured roof of the tunnel? Or, is it the floor of the tunnel, and the roof has yet to be poured?

- Paul
looks like roof of tunnel... dont see any tunnel in the background and it looks too high in elevation to be the floor.
SMEs please confirm or deny

Spoke to 2 construction workers on the Eglinton LRT during their break (I hope it really was their break lol).... They indicated the project is substantially delayed and do not expect it opening until the end of 2023 at the earliest. Another interesting tidbit was the further delay announcement won't likely come until following the election next June.

I guess we are in a wait and see mode. I am just glad we are discussing the end date of the project. They also mentioned the area around Don Mills will remain in construction mode until early 2030s. The landscaping work for the LRT will take them some time and then the start of the Ontario Line Construction around 2024-5 ish. Going to be one hell of an area once the construction is finally completed in the early 2030s.

Spoke to 2 construction workers on the Eglinton LRT during their break (I hope it really was their break lol).... They indicated the project is substantially delayed and do not expect it opening until the end of 2023 at the earliest. Another interesting tidbit was the further delay announcement won't likely come until following the election next June.

I guess we are in a wait and see mode. I am just glad we are discussing the end date of the project. They also mentioned the area around Don Mills will remain in construction mode until early 2030s. The landscaping work for the LRT will take them some time and then the start of the Ontario Line Construction around 2024-5 ish. Going to be one hell of an area once the construction is finally completed in the early 2030s.
Perhaps 2023 for the entire project to be completed including landscaping and the minor stuff. I still expect them to have substantial completion end of 2022.

Rule number one: Always take whatever the construction workers say with a grain of salt.

They have no idea when announcements will be made nor do they have any inkling of construction delays above and beyond what their particular job site is experiencing.

While I expect it to be delayed, I will wait for word from Metrolinx before subscribing to worksite gossip from people who are not in the know.

Rule number one: Always take whatever the construction workers say with a grain of salt.

They have no idea when announcements will be made nor do they have any inkling of construction delays above and beyond what their particular job site is experiencing.

While I expect it to be delayed, I will wait for word from Metrolinx before subscribing to worksite gossip from people who are not in the know.
Yes, that was very likely just gossip, I've worked in construction, the trade workers on the site won't know anything.

Thanks JU For getting “The rest of the Story” about no train testing.
. About the rubber. Is this the rubber placed underneath the tracks themselves to cushion them for less noise and a smooth ride? I saw it being placed all the way from Ionview to Vic Park and wherever tracks were being laid.

For ION in Kitchener the electrification document (Schedule 15-2 Article 6, section 6.1.d) stated "The mainline tracks will be electrically isolated from ground and connected to the negative bus at the TPSS", presumably as part of the stray current mitigation plan. The rubber booting is likely a part of that (you want the return current to stay in the rails, not take additional paths through damp concrete, soil, bystanders, pets, etc.), and I'd imagine it would be the same for the Eglinton Crosstown.

Edit to add: Contrary to popular wisdom, electricity takes neither the shortest nor the lowest resistance path. It takes all paths in proportion to their individual resistance, as together in parallel they provide the lowest resistance path of all.

Last edited:

Back