News   Apr 25, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Boston's Green Line was the first "subway" in North America. It used streetcars in 1897, now light rail. No barrier level crossings on the surface sections.

It also has sections in mixed traffic and constantly has issues staying on time. The Green line should not be used as a good example of anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Crosstown gets at least 1 car crash delay per month based on how it is going in Kitchener. TTC Streetcars have had 549 crashes in 2017, or 45 per month on average.

Kitchener uses crossing arms, alarms, and turning all lights to red in some sections. Toronto is not implementing any of that.

IMO, we can live with one extra delay per month. To put it into the context, subway Lines 1 and 2 do not interact with cars at any time, yet hardly a week passes without a significant delay on each of those lines. Either some equipment breaks, or some idiot decides to impersonate a train engine and take a nice walk at the track level.

I don't deny the fact that elevated is more reliable than street-level; I just don't believe that the collision risk factor plays any major role here.

Forget a car actually hitting a train, think of how much slower a train or a bus has to go to make sure a car doesn't hit them. Pretty much all disadvantages of non grade-separated transit stem from the dangers of sharing spaces with cars.

In-median is generally slower than elevated or underground, no denial of that. But, intersections are the main contributor here; collision risk is a lesser factor.

With testing of the surface section starting this summer, we can start taking bets when the first "incident" occurs. Would expect to see more "incidents" when they do the driver training.

• Clearance and Static Testing will take place in June 2021
  • Dynamic Testing will take place from July to September 2021.
  • Testing and commissioning will take place in three phases beginning June 2021:
  1. Clearance and static testing will take place in June and includes a walking inspection of LRVs operating between 0 – 5km/hr
  2. Dynamic testing will take place from July to September and includes testing coupled vehicles, increased speed testing, brake tests, concurrent vehicle testing, and communications and signal systems testing
  3. TTC Driver Training will follow and includes operational training for TTC personnel who will be responsible for operating the LRT once it is in service.

^Probably none since the LRVs will be operating at 0-5km/hr with people walking along side them during the tests.

Now once the walking testers are gone and the speeds are increased to service level, i'd wager something will probably happen within the first 3 months.

Northwest exit of Forest Hill station on May 18, 2021:

IMG_0427.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg

Lemme guess? I shared the photos on UrbanToronto, then gets on Toronto subreddit without my permission, I coincidentally scroll on Reddit and find it, then someone posts from Reddit back to Urban Toronto being unaware that it was already posted, so it came full circle.

Lemme guess? I shared the photos on UrbanToronto, then gets on Toronto subreddit without my permission, I coincidentally scroll on Reddit and find it, then someone posts from Reddit back to Urban Toronto being unaware that it was already posted, so it came full circle.
There is a comment on reddit from the OP who credited you from UrbanToronto. Unfortunately it got buried (no I'm not the one that posted it).

Once energized the OCS cables are electrified and dangerous if encountered. It is never safe to go near the OCS. Please obey signage and stay away from all overhead cables.

Are Torontoians killings themselves from streetcar OCS cables downtown too often that they need to write this? ML is always out of sync with reality.

Yep, that's our responsible government. They always err to the side of caution. It's annoying ...but it saves lives.

Back