News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 530     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It's like saying New York the city is just NYC. New Jersey is an entirely different planet.
I’m really not sure what’s being argued here. Yes, NJ is part of the NY metro area but...it is served by a different operator (two, actually: PATH and NJ Transit), has different tax rates, different home prices, different travel patterns etc. People who live in Jersey don’t claim they’re from NYC or NY - that’d make no sense.

This entire subthread is weird, and I can’t tell what people want, or are concerned about. Yes, we should have fare integration, but that doesn’t require that city boundaries be redrawn, that we redefine what “Toronto” is, or that you suddenly have a single operator. It requires will and money - and I wager that money has always been the sticking point here.

Exactly. New York and Toronto have similarities to each other, regarding their boroughs coming together as one city. Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten island come together to FORM New York City. Downtown New york is located in the borough of Manhattan. Same with Toronto. Toronto has 6 boroughs (Scarborough, North York, East York, York, Etobicoke and Metro Toronto) that got amalgamated back in 1998 into the city of Toronto. Downtown Toronto is located in Metro Toronto. I hate when people don't know the difference between the inner city suburbs and the GTA suburbs.

Wherever the TTC starts and finishes, north, south, east, west is Toronto. Anything else is the GTA.

Actually, New York City wasn't quite politically akin to Metro Toronto. All of NYC's boroughs make up the City of New York, with central NYC (Manhattan) being just another borough. Metro Toronto was different. It was a city with surrounding boroughs (that were later given city status except East York) that were not technically part of the city proper. Metro was a county of sorts that was seen as one city because of the way it grew organically from old Toronto (which is why Metro was created from York County in the first place). The 905 is akin to Long Island.

Last edited:
Actually, New York City wasn't quite politically akin to Metro Toronto. All of NYC's boroughs make up the City of New York, with central NYC (Manhattan) being just another borough. Metro Toronto was different. It was a city with surrounding boroughs (that were later given city status except East York) that were not technically part of the city proper. Metro was a county of sorts that was seen as one city because of the way it grew physically from old Toronto (which is why Metro was created from York County in the first place). The 905 is akin to Long Island.
Thanks for clarifying that.

View attachment 299828
This is really pretty, imo - it's a shame that Metrolinx has got rid of their art program for future projects..

Art and colour would be nice for future Metrolinx projects but I’m also perfectly satisfied with unique engineering architecture. I guess a good example would be Pioneer Village Station since I use it every day; the unique columns and design are good enough to offset the unused $1.9 million Lightspell artwork. I only wish that they did something with the station walls such as imprinted design/patterns on the concrete. Instead of just plain walls that make it look like a concrete bunker with water stains.

This is all pedantry. The lines on the map are legal fictions. As with Mike Harris dictat, municipal structures can be redefined at the stroke of a pen. The city is the GTA (not strictly speaking, as the regions comprising the GTA are themselves of arbitrary extent).
The city of Toronto and the GTA are completely different from each other. The city of Toronto is now what used to be metropolitan Toronto and has been since January of 1998.

The GTA is the overall region that has no official designation from the province it's primarily a collective term for the City of Toronto and the surrounding cities that closely boarder it.

Please stop saying that the city of Toronto is the same as the GTA you are coming across as someone who has no understanding about Toronto and the area at all.

The city of Toronto and the GTA are completely different from each other. The city of Toronto is now what used to be metropolitan Toronto and has been since January of 1998.

The GTA is the overall region that has no official designation from the province it's primarily a collective term for the City of Toronto and the surrounding cities that closely boarder it.

Please stop saying that the city of Toronto is the same as the GTA you are coming across as someone who has no understanding about Toronto and the area at all.
The point ultimately is that so much of the GTA is economically tied to Toronto, with many people in the GTA working and culturally tying themselves to Toronto. In terms of regional transit planning, we should really stop tying ourselves to municipal boundaries, and start looking at the GTA as a single transit network factoring in BRT, LRT, what not. This is why projects such as Yonge North and Eglinton West are vital for this goal.

The point ultimately is that so much of the GTA is economically tied to Toronto, with many people in the GTA working and culturally tying themselves to Toronto. In terms of regional transit planning, we should really stop tying ourselves to municipal boundaries, and start looking at the GTA as a single transit network factoring in BRT, LRT, what not. This is why projects such as Yonge North and Eglinton West are vital for this goal.
I agree with that completely and I also think that Metrolinx needs to be completely rethought and have representatives from each of the transit agencies in the GTHA as part of the board. Metrolinx wants to be transport for London but only owning a few of the lines but somehow being able to dictate what everyone else does.

I agree with that completely and I also think that Metrolinx needs to be completely rethought and have representatives from each of the transit agencies in the GTHA as part of the board. Metrolinx wants to be transport for London but only owning a few of the lines but somehow being able to dictate what everyone else does.
I think that'll make things way too beaurocratic and inefficient. I think Translink is a perfect example of this type setup not working too well where a majority of municipalities must approve of transit projects, which leads to projects like the Canada Line getting severely cut down because the Mayor of Burnaby is interested in an eastward extension further into parks.

I think that'll make things way too beaurocratic and inefficient. I think Translink is a perfect example of this type setup not working too well where a majority of municipalities must approve of transit projects, which leads to projects like the Canada Line getting severely cut down because the Mayor of Burnaby is interested in an eastward extension further into parks.
An alternative is the province could buy out all of the transit agencies from their respective cites much like how all of the older tube lines in London were to merge them together.

Although I don't really think that is likely to happen either.

An alternative is the province could buy out all of the transit agencies from their respective cites much like how all of the older tube lines in London were to merge them together.

Although I don't really think that is likely to happen either.
A more cooperative/decentralized model could involve a transit federation model, as Jonathan English and TRBT has discussed

Back