News   May 03, 2024
 962     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 593     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 284     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Considering that it never even was. It was a city, not akin to Manhattan which is a borough of NYC.
The former Borough of East York would be the most recent local example. Though neighbouring Scarborough and North York were once boroughs, along with York and Etobicoke.

Maybe you misunderstood my point: the City of Toronto is just a legal fiction. The city is the whole GTA.
I think you are mixing things up. Back when what we now know as the city of Toronto was called Metropolitan Toronto it was made up of smaller cities and one bourogh. The cities that made up Metropolitan Toronto were the cites of Scarborough, North York, York, Toronto and Etobicoke along with the borough of East York. In 1998 Mike Haris forced the amelgamatinn of the parts of Toronto that formed Metropolitan Toronto to become the city of Toronto.

The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is a region which encompasses the city of Toronto, along with the city of Vaughn, Richmond Hill, Mississauga and others. Metrolinx likes to add an H to it to make it into the GTHA or Greater Toronto Hamilton Area.

Last edited:
The former Borough of East York would be the most recent local example. Though neighbouring Scarborough and North York were once boroughs, along with York and Etobicoke.

But Old Toronto itself was never a borough, which is what my point was.

But Old Toronto itself was never a borough, which is what my point was.
Of course it wasn't ... when then do you object to me saying that "Surely claiming that Toronto is a borough, is a legal fiction!"? I simply provided contrast of places that WERE boroughs in support of your point.

Considering that it never even was. It was a city, not akin to Manhattan which is a borough of NYC.
Exactly. New York and Toronto have similarities to each other, regarding their boroughs coming together as one city. Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten island come together to FORM New York City. Downtown New york is located in the borough of Manhattan. Same with Toronto. Toronto has 6 boroughs (Scarborough, North York, East York, York, Etobicoke and Metro Toronto) that got amalgamated back in 1998 into the city of Toronto. Downtown Toronto is located in Metro Toronto. I hate when people don't know the difference between the inner city suburbs and the GTA suburbs.

Wherever the TTC starts and finishes, north, south, east, west is Toronto. Anything else is the GTA.

I remember as a kid when I lived in Niagara that, when we travelled in the US when we said we lived in Niagara we would get blank stared. Then you say, near Toronto. Some would get it, and some would amazingly still give you a blank stare. Usually saying across the border from Buffalo/NY state would get you there.
It's basically the same if someone says they're from Brampton to an American. They'll obviously have no clue until you say it's by Toronto.

I think you are mixing things up. Back when what we now know as the city of Toronto was called Metropolitan Toronto it was made up of smaller cities and one bourogh. The cities that made up Metropolitan Toronto were the cites of Scarborough, North York, York, Toronto and Etobicoke along with the borough of East York. In 1998 Mike Haris forced the amelgamatinn of the parts of Toronto that formed Metropolitan Toronto to become the city of Toronto.

The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is a region which encompasses the city of Toronto, along with the city of Vaughn, Richmond Hill, Mississauga and others. Metrolinx likes to add an H to it to make it into the GTHA or Greater Toronto Hamilton Area.
This is all pedantry. The lines on the map are legal fictions. As with Mike Harris dictat, municipal structures can be redefined at the stroke of a pen. The city is the GTA (not strictly speaking, as the regions comprising the GTA are themselves of arbitrary extent).

Exactly. New York and Toronto have similarities to each other, regarding their boroughs coming together as one city. Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten island come together to FORM New York City. Downtown New york is located in the borough of Manhattan. Same with Toronto. Toronto has 6 boroughs (Scarborough, North York, East York, York, Etobicoke and Metro Toronto) that got amalgamated back in 1998 into the city of Toronto. Downtown Toronto is located in Metro Toronto. I hate when people don't know the difference between the inner city suburbs and the GTA suburbs.

Wherever the TTC starts and finishes, north, south, east, west is Toronto. Anything else is the GTA.
The only difference between the inner suburbs and the outer suburbs is that the outer suburbs are under different municipal structures. This is a purely administrative distinction. It's all one big city. I swear, people can't see the forest for the trees. It's like saying New York the city is just NYC. New Jersey is an entirely different planet.

I mean, your socks will all be rocked if and when the GTA is placed under some sort of regional governance structure. Metrolinx is the inkling of this.

I'll absolutely lose my mind if they implement the slow down to 10 km/h at signalized intersection policy, amongst a few of the other idiotic ones current in the SOP.

Ive never seen that rule book but it really needs to be updated for the 21st century.
I've been wondering to myself for a while now if and when the Eglinton LRT becomes operational, will they treat the surface section as a streetcar line as in stopping only when someone is at the stop or wants to get off a stop.. otherwise skipping it, or will they treat the surface section like a subway and stop at every surface stop even though no one is standing there or wanting to get off?

Last edited:
The only difference between the inner suburbs and the outer suburbs is that the outer suburbs are under different municipal structures. This is a purely administrative distinction. It's all one big city. I swear, people can't see the forest for the trees. It's like saying New York the city is just NYC. New Jersey is an entirely different planet.

I mean, your socks will all be rocked if and when the GTA is placed under some sort of regional governance structure. Metrolinx is the inkling of this.
Yup and it's already beginning with York region and Toronto for a pilot project for 5 years.

The only reason why we should need multiples of transit jurisdictions is mental retardation on the part of the ruling class....and so no one feels left out, the internet "intellengstia".

For the record: that is about as "inclusive" as I could make it.

We're holding ourselves back. Massively.

I've been wondering to myself for a while now if and when the Eglinton LRT becomes operational, will they treat the surface section as a streetcar line as in stopping only when someone is at the stop or wants to get off a stop.. otherwise skipping it, or will they treat the surface section like a subway and stop at every surface stop even though no one is standing there or wanting to get off?
It'll stop at every station regardless of if someone's there or not.

Back