News   Apr 26, 2024
 215     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 406     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 543     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

In reading the Entuitive article, I was kinda shocked that the Crosstown stations are deeper than the Eglinton subway stations.

Why?!

In reading the Entuitive article, I was kinda shocked that the Crosstown stations are deeper than the Eglinton subway stations.

Why?!

Deep tunnel boring.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually is there any info about whether the Eglinton West Subway was planned for boring or cut and cover?

Why?!
Cut and Cover tunnel construction has become a political nightmare and quite unpopular. Also since the original Yonge Subway was constructed as Cut and Cover, and that Line is really close to the surface, so any future interchange line will have be deeper, and thus use tunnel bores just for the interchange station.

Deep tunnel boring.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually is there any info about whether the Eglinton West Subway was planned for boring or cut and cover?
While I'm not 100% certain, when the Eglinton West project was cancelled despite construction starting and them having to fill up the hole with concrete, what was actually filled up wasn't the station box but the launch site of the TBM (station construction wasn't even close to started). Granted, the construction started at Eglinton West which would've been below the existing Eglinton West station, but judging by the fact that the entirety of the Sheppard Subway is bored, I think its safe to say Eglinton West would've been as well.

Last edited:
Eglinton was to bored: https://nationalpost.com/news/toron...he-ground-after-eglinton-lrt-line-is-finished

Also, I understand that "cut and cover" is a no-go nowadays (unfortunately), but I was surprised that the Crosstown boring was deeper than the Eglinton subway boring - and couldn't understand why.
Most likely deeper foundations along the corridor, but it could also be the fact geotechnical information has changed since then, and the material they're proposing boring through would be easier/quicker to bore through.

1607296723985.png

Exciting news. Ionview and Sloane are the final stations to have shelters being installed on the surface section. Meaning by the end of 2020, every stop is in major completion, and by Spring/Summer of 2021, all tracks, catenary, and signals will be complete, thus the entire surface section will be completed.

Hopfefully we can start testing then!!!

View attachment 287220

Exciting news. Ionview and Sloane are the final stations to have shelters being installed on the surface section. Meaning by the end of 2020, every stop is in major completion, and by Spring/Summer of 2021, all tracks, catenary, and signals will be complete, thus the entire surface section will be completed.

Hopfefully we can start testing then!!!

Is there any information as to when the station at Bermondsey/Sloane will be installed (i.e. end of 2020). I was unable to find that confirmation.

The SpringSummer timeline may get extended to Fall. Once winter starts productivity will slow down especially considering snow will be piled up the tracks.

Is there any information as to when the station at Bermondsey/Sloane will be installed (i.e. end of 2020). I was unable to find that confirmation.

The SpringSummer timeline may get extended to Fall. Once winter starts productivity will slow down especially considering snow will be piled up the tracks.

Speaking of snow.. I can foresee damages to the tracks this year from plows.

Eglinton was to bored: https://nationalpost.com/news/toron...he-ground-after-eglinton-lrt-line-is-finished

Also, I understand that "cut and cover" is a no-go nowadays (unfortunately), but I was surprised that the Crosstown boring was deeper than the Eglinton subway boring - and couldn't understand why.

It wasn't really going to be substantially deeper along the line - the point at which the TBMs operated while digging was more-or-less where they had to be considering the geology. But the interchange at Allen Road was going to have the Eglinton Line above the YUS, rather than below. I can't recall all of the reasons, but I think "ease of constructablity" was one of the primary factors.

Speaking of snow.. I can foresee damages to the tracks this year from plows.

There wasn't any last winter. Why would there be this winter?

Dan

As apposed to when it is running?
It wasn't really going to be substantially deeper along the line - the point at which the TBMs operated while digging was more-or-less where they had to be considering the geology. But the interchange at Allen Road was going to have the Eglinton Line above the YUS, rather than below. I can't recall all of the reasons, but I think "ease of constructablity" was one of the primary factors.

There wasn't any last winter. Why would there be this winter?

Dan

The sign at Birchmount saying plow blades up and the raised asphalt that damn near took the cowling off my Mazda yesterday.

does anyone know if there's any improved streetscaping planned for the bridge east of Kennedy Rd? It's a pretty treacherous sidewalk on the bridge and will see a lot more foot traffic with the line coming online.
View attachment 287228
When I lived in this area a lot of people just walked under the bridge. With the entrance by the community centre complete, it should be easier to access Kennedy station.

The sign at Birchmount saying plow blades up and the raised asphalt that damn near took the cowling off my Mazda yesterday.

And that sign was there last winter as well, wasn't it? I'm pretty sure that I saw it elsewhere.

In any case, it's never been an issue anywhere else on the TTC's streetcar network. With the tracks on Eglinton being built to the same basic standards and with the same materials, it should be no different.

The unevenness of the roadway surface in that intersection and others, however, is a concern. At least in my neck of the woods, they are content to simply put patches-on-patches-over-more-patches until it comes time to do the final paving in a year or two. And until then.......*shrugs*.

Dan

does anyone know if there's any improved streetscaping planned for the bridge east of Kennedy Rd? It's a pretty treacherous sidewalk on the bridge and will see a lot more foot traffic with the line coming online.
View attachment 287228
I believe not. The streetscaping on Eglinton is just to Kennedy Road. However, the South Service, North Service roads, and Transway Crescent will be getting streetscaping improvements.

Back