News   May 17, 2021
 1.1K     12 
News   May 17, 2021
 436     0 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

allengeorge

Member Bio
Reaction score
Metrolinx has not given the city a date for when the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will open
I suspect right now it’s a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation. The opening date is a political football, and Metrolinx, the provincial government and the city have themselves to blame.I don’t care if it’s back room, but those three parties should figure out a realistic delivery date, avoid finger pointing and just help businesses along the line, as well as consider phasing. Then they can analyze what to do better for future projects.

One can dream.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I suspect right now it’s a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation. The opening date is a political football, and Metrolinx, the provincial government and the city have themselves to blame.I don’t care if it’s back room, but those three parties should figure out a realistic delivery date, avoid finger pointing and just help businesses along the line, as well as consider phasing. Then they can analyze what to do better for future projects.

One can dream.

The blame for these delays rests solely with Crosslinx and Metrolinx. The City is more or less a passive observer in all this.

Metrolinx would have us believe that this is Crosslinx’s fault, but given MX prior mismanagement of this and other projects, I’m not primed to absolve them of responsibility for this.

I suspect we’re not hearing an opening date from MX simply because they do not know when this thing will open. Last I heard, they were in a dispute with Croslinx on whether or not ECLRT can open in phases, to allow for earlier opening. Heck, even if Crosslinx has given them a date, MX just might not trust it, and might not want to deal with the political fallout when they fail to meet yet another deadline on this over-budget project.

Yonge Station is the limiting factor of when this will be 100% complete. Given the severity of the problems with the station, a realistic completion date is 2022 to 2023 at this point.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If Eglinton Station is the holdup, they could use the tracks over from Mt. Dennis Station to Cedarvale Stations, and from Kennedy Station to Laird Station. Shuttle buses would have to be used between Laird Station and Cedarvale Station, with a stopover at Eglinton Station as it is used these days.

alignment_map_w_storage_track.jpg

From link.

Continuing the westerly section over to the Avenue Station depends upon how they can handle shuttle buses around the Avenue Station.

8thl9jhtj6v41.jpg

From link.

Ritachi

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm concerned about the surface portion of the LRT, I travelled along Eglinton today and there are many spots where cars can cross the tracks. I'm willing to bet accidents will shut down the line on a regular basis.

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
Director of TO's transit expansion office Derrick Toigo tells Cllr Colle that Metrolinx has not given the city a date for when the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will open. Was supposed to be complete by Sept 2021.

Good thing the city isn't in charge. We all know this project would be way behind schedule.

Fortunately with Metrolinx delays are a thing of the past!

cd concept

Member Bio
Reaction score
This may be off topic. But I've just see a beautiful theme future park rendering of Queens Park and University Ave. Being all dolled up With walk ways and gardens etc on citynews tonight. I was wondering if there is a page or blog all ready made up for this venture that's going to happen. If not I hope if someone could create one to show the info that was on citynews thanks !

cd concept

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think this is the best solution for both above-ground sections of the LRT. They should be below-grade similar to the Mississauga Transitway. As I said before, if the entire Eglinton LRT is grade-separated, then it can be considered more like a subway line... Unfortunately, however, Steve Munro is pushing for on-street solution...
I think all LRT lines on wide road areas should be treated like subway lines by not interfering with traffic at all. This could be accomplished by just tunnelling or maneuvering about every major intersection with the rails. Simultaneously creating LRT stops and connections below or above those intersections. This was only created on the Science Center's Eglinton stop not the rest of them. Which I think will clog up traffic by giving the LRT the right away. They keep forgetting that this not a mid size city like Kitchener, London. But a city that's is or becoming a booming metropolis with all the future density being created on these avenues.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score