News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 288     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 814     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Is it written in "stone" that platform screen doors will be installed on the Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown?

The Montréal REM line has it so...

Or will the penny-pinchers non-transit using politicians say "NO!"?

Because Line 5 has at grade segments, PSDs might be practically impossible. To have effective use of PSDs, some degree of automation is necessary, and median LRTs simply won't cut it.

PSDs also require precision stopping and integration with vehicles. Not a simple matter of putting in some doors.
Yup, and that's why there is no excuse to not have them on the Ontario line, given how heavily they are emphasising automation as the solution to capacity. As for the Crosstown, I guess they could add them later if the tunnel section is automated, like what's planned for Line 1. One bit of good news is that unlike the Line 1 platforms, the Line 5 platforms don't have a gap below them that requires additional structural work to add doors down the line, it's just a question of automation.

Perhaps if they anticipated them and made provisions. But integrating something after the fact tends not to be cheap or easy.

Because Line 5 has at grade segments, PSDs might be practically impossible. To have effective use of PSDs, some degree of automation is necessary, and median LRTs simply won't cut it.
Yup, and that's why there is no excuse to not have them on the Ontario line, given how heavily they are emphasising automation as the solution to capacity. As for the Crosstown, I guess they could add them later if the tunnel section is automated, like what's planned for Line 1. One bit of good news is that unlike the Line 1 platforms, the Line 5 platforms don't have a gap below them that requires additional structural work to add doors down the line, it's just a question of automation.

The underground sections will be automated in the same way Line 1 is. Platform screen doors are possible for trams but are very rare. The only example I know of is Dubai Tram. But there are actually many BRTs with platform screen doors. But usually they are in full-on stations. China has many BRTs with platform edge doors. Not sure how well they could stand in winter without any overhead shelter like is being done for the crosstown.

1601161122495.png

Last edited:
The underground sections will be automated in the same way Line 1 is. Platform screen doors are possible for trams but are very rare. The only example I know of is Dubai Tram. But there are actually many BRTs with platform screen doors. But usually they are in full-on stations. China has many BRTs with platform edge doors. Not sure how well they could stand in winter without any overhead shelter like is being done for the crosstown.
criticise the chinese all you want but they do have a very world class brt system that is actually more sophisticated than our LRT

Back