2.7K     6 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 649     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Birchmount Stop
Permanent Left Turn Removal
September 15, 2020
384d482b-a0a1-4516-8ac0-4772d9b3163b.png
To accommodate the continued construction of Birchmount Stop and as part of the final intersection configuration, the eastbound left turn movement at Eglinton Avenue East and Birchmount Road will be permanently removed as early as September 15, 2020. The westbound left turn movement was removed permanently late 2019.

What to Expect

Permanent removal of the eastbound left turn movement at the Eglinton Avenue East and Birchmount Road intersection. Advanced signage will be installed to alert drivers of the new turn prohibition. As part of the final configuration, left turns will be available at Warden Avenue and Kennedy Road.

Birchmount Stop
September 15, 2020
To accommodate the continued construction of Birchmount Stop and as part of the final intersection configuration, the eastbound left turn movement at Eglinton Avenue East and Birchmount Road will be permanently removed as early as September 15, 2020. The westbound left turn movement was removed permanently late 2019.

What to Expect

Permanent removal of the eastbound left turn movement at the Eglinton Avenue East and Birchmount Road intersection. Advanced signage will be installed to alert drivers of the new turn prohibition. As part of the final configuration, left turns will be available at Warden Avenue and Kennedy Road.
Very interesting.. I guess this makes the above ground portion much more efficient that I imagined. I wonder whether they will permanent remove left turns at other lrt stops along the line. If anyone has any insight whether this would be the case let us know!!

Birchmount Stop
September 15, 2020

What to Expect

I wonder who's dumb idea that was to remove left hand turning at this major intersection. There's more than enough clearance for an expanded turn lane; this just strikes me as a ridiculous miscalculation.

I mean really, they think having Warden and Kennedy alone will be suitable enough for going vehicles going northbound? These planners really need to go for a walk along these corridors before they plan things like this out.

Nevertheless, it *should* improve LRV crossing times along the intersection. I use asterisks because heaven only knows if the TTC will institute their idiotic 10km/h maximum speed policy along intersections.

I wonder who's dumb idea that was to remove left hand turning at this major intersection. There's more than enough clearance for an expanded turn lane; this just strikes me as a ridiculous miscalculation.

I mean really, they think having Warden and Kennedy alone will be suitable enough for going vehicles going northbound? These planners really need to go for a walk along these corridors before they plan things like this out.

Nevertheless, it *should* improve LRV crossing times along the intersection. I use asterisks because heaven only knows if the TTC will institute their idiotic 10km/h maximum speed policy along intersections.
TBH, its decisions like these that make these transit city projects feel less like they were designed to get Toronto moving, and more like a way to make driving more insufferable. Liberals spent years yelling about how LRTs are the future, and yet when the city announces that Eglinton won't have traffic signal priority, all of these same people are suspiciously silent. This isn't about making good transit, this is about making driving worse, which is the absolute worst way of making transit.

TBH, its decisions like these that make these transit city projects feel less like they were designed to get Toronto moving, and more like a way to make driving more insufferable. Liberals spent years yelling about how LRTs are the future, and yet when the city announces that Eglinton won't have traffic signal priority, all of these same people are suspiciously silent. This isn't about making good transit, this is about making driving worse, which is the absolute worst way of making transit.

If only the light rail vehicles carry more people than the three or four automobiles turning left. Oh wait....

If only the light rail vehicles carry more people than the three or four automobiles turning left. Oh wait....
And? What are you trying to argue here? That LRTs are more space efficient than automobiles? Thank you mister obvious.

Birchmount Stop
September 15, 2020

What to Expect

Weren't there plans to add U-turns on the cross streets (smaller version of Michigan-left) to accommodate left turn removals?

^Michigan U’s don’t really improve things for a centre median LRT, as there still has to be a disruption to LRT flow when the autos get the green light for their U turn. Might as well let that happen at the intersection.
(Hint: transit priority signalling mumble mumble)

- Paul

"Complete communities" are a fundamentally flawed concept. While it is possible to have a community where people live and work without having to commute long distances, having EVERYTHING be accessible in a complete community is physically impossible and unachievable. People will still be commuting downtown to get the the Raptors game, or to go to a TSO Concert, a Jazz Club, whatever. Building rapid transit to purely focus on small communities won't achieve the ultimate goal of rapid trans-city transit, and will create incentives for car use because nobody wants to sit for 40 minutes on a slow surface LRT. Grade separated LRTs in turn create a good middle ground where stops are frequent enough to make travelling within a community quick and appealing, while not being overly long to make travelling to other communities or downtown to be too long.

. Building rapid transit to purely focus on small communities won't achieve the ultimate goal of rapid trans-city transit

I'd go one further and say that building a transit line for a fully accessible community is the antithesis of rapid transit. A single mode of transportation can be either local or rapid, not both.

Ariel images of Toronto’s Line 1 illustrate this, with groups of towers at stations and single-detached houses between.

I want to be where the people are.
I wanna see, wanna see them dancin'
Riding around on those - what do you call 'em?
Oh - streetcars

Back