News   Jun 01, 2020
 467     1 
News   Jun 01, 2020
 502     0 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Billy Bishop has a 260 m (853-foot) pedestrian tunnel between Bathurst Quay and the airport terminal. It includes a couple of moving sidewalks. If walking, it takes about 6-minutes.

From link.

But because patricians may end up using that moving sidewalk, having them at airports is fine. But because the plebeians end up using public transit, making transfers better is not justified.
Has anyone been on the high speed moving sidewalks at Pearson? They are awesome.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has anyone been on the high speed moving sidewalks at Pearson? They are awesome.
Agreed, and this is exactly the intended use too. The high-speed walkway was marketed to Metro operators for long-distance transfers; mainly arguing that the walkway is cheaper to build and maintain than trains.

However, after 12 years of operations at Pearson, ThyssenKrupp has never sold another ACCEL walkway. I've gotta assume there is a reason for that; probably extremely finicky with boot dirt and snow.

Last edited:

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed, and this is exactly the intended use too. The high-speed walkway was marketed to Metro operators for long-distance transfers; mainly arguing that the walkway is cheaper to build and maintain than trains.

However, after 12 years of operations at Pearson, ThyssenKrupp has never sold another ACCEL walkway. I've gotta assume there is a reason for that; probably extremely finicky with boot dirt and snow.
It may have to do with Thyssenkrupp themselves. They are known as Thyssenkrapp for a reason.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've used them once or twice when I've been in that section of Terminal 1 but never really noticed them being any different than the regular ones except for the middle part they kind of spread out more than they do at the beginning and end.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^They work in the airport because floors can be kept clean and not much dirt gets tracked in. Can’t imagine them working well in a public transit setting where there is more water, slush, salt, and grit tracked in.

- Paul

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
They had one at Spadina but maintainece was a headache
It all depends on which politicians uses it. The auto-addicted ones use the airport, therefore there is funds available to maintain the moving sidewalks at the airport. But because the auto-addicted politicians don't use public transit, the maintaining of a moving sidewalk on the rapid transit lines is low-priority and can be dropped to meet their budget cuts.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
They basically just voted to place a bunch of construction workers together during a pandemic. We've already seen a bunch of positive covid cases on the Crosstown. Lets make it worse!
Indeed. I think anyone deemed essential should be tested weekly and our total testing capacity in Ontario is about 10k tests per day.