News   Oct 19, 2020
 1.3K     1 
News   Oct 19, 2020
 819     1 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

11th

Member Bio
Reaction score
It wasn't a good projection at all. That assumes that riders do stay on the LRT oppose to transferring at Kennedy. It sounds fine till riders realize they would have to stand in crush load for 15 minutes instead of 5 if they got on at Bloor. That doesn't sound comfortable and thus the ridership wouldn't have reach 12k. Just as TTC has once predicted a lot more people would take Line 4 instead of heading to Finch.

Also to point out that it competes with Line 2 and that isn't near capacity. Money is better spent elsewhere. Since Line 5 has a lower capacity, it would be better to keep the unnecessary riders on Line 2 and save the space for those who actually need it (west of Science Centre Station). The Scarborough subway would keep the riders on Line 2 and they could transfer to the Ontario Line at Pape.
Kind of similar to Finch, at Science Centre station, at least riders will get the chance to get on a train (before it's filled to crush load). At Pape, they might face a similar situation as Bloor-Yonge.
Of course everything changes if/when the OL is extended north from Eglinton.

TorPronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
It wasn't a good projection at all. That assumes that riders do stay on the LRT oppose to transferring at Kennedy. It sounds fine till riders realize they would have to stand in crush load for 15 minutes instead of 5 if they got on at Bloor. That doesn't sound comfortable and thus the ridership wouldn't have reach 12k. Just as TTC has once predicted a lot more people would take Line 4 instead of heading to Finch.

Also to point out that it competes with Line 2 and that isn't near capacity. Money is better spent elsewhere. Since Line 5 has a lower capacity, it would be better to keep the unnecessary riders on Line 2 and save the space for those who actually need it (west of Science Centre Station). The Scarborough subway would keep the riders on Line 2 and they could transfer to the Ontario Line at Pape.
My understanding is that at rush hour line 2 is at capacity and its normal to be standing. This was pretty much the case when I took it 10 years ago

Last edited:

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
My understanding is that at rush hour line 2 is at capacity and its normal not to be standing. This was pretty much the case when I took it 10 years ago
If something is at capacity, it is full. If it is full, then the seats are full. If the seats are full, then I am standing. Something does not read properly in the statement above.

Voltz

Member Bio
Reaction score
My understanding is that at rush hour line 2 is at capacity and its normal not to be standing. This was pretty much the case when I took it 10 years ago
Passengers standing does not mean the line is full, even if there is not room for more standing passengers now, new trains and signaling will increase capacity in the future.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
If everyone can get on during times without any delays, it's not at capacity. Line 2 is not at capacity if they can operate proper service.

TorPronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
If something is at capacity, it is full. If it is full, then the seats are full. If the seats are full, then I am standing. Something does not read properly in the statement above.
Yeah, I fixed that. It's been normal that you can't get on trains because they are full during rush hour from what I've read here and Steve Munro's site.

Aplus23

Member Bio
Reaction score

asher__jo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Insight to Crosstown delays
"RTG partners even competed against themselves for skills. The same consortium won a $5-billion deal in mid-2015 to build a light rail system across Eglinton Avenue in Toronto — a project that is running behind schedule. A shortage of skills drove up costs at both sites as the trades demanded more money."

Voltz

Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope the shelters are more extensive than was shown in the renders, barely cover the platform, and there was no physical barriers that could help stop a errant vehicle from going up on the platform. The platforms on St Clair and the VIVA BRT stops especially had both of these.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope the shelters are more extensive than was shown in the renders, barely cover the platform, and there was no physical barriers that could help stop a errant vehicle from going up on the platform. The platforms on St Clair and the VIVA BRT stops especially had both of these.
Don't have your hopes up. It'll look something like the renders.