News   Jul 08, 2020
 3K     3 
News   Jul 08, 2020
 1.5K     3 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today is 2020. By the time 2021 comes around, most of the construction above ground would be finished. They are already removing the decking around the Science Centre Station. See link.
More to the point, the delay is likely in the underground stations at Yonge-Eglinton and Cedarvale along with possibly Kennedy. The above ground portions are complete for the most part (minus the outfitting) but the dig downs at key points are causing unexpected problems.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Clearly St Clair ROW was far worse than this construction. What exactly is the status of Eglinton Connects? Is it oh we would like to build but we don't have money status... that's like 90% of Toronto's transit plans.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Clearly St Clair ROW was far worse than this construction. What exactly is the status of Eglinton Connects? Is it oh we would like to build but we don't have money status... that's like 90% of Toronto's transit plans.
See here. Ironically, staff were asked to accelerate design work to meet the Sept 2021 opening date. Report is due mid year.

- Paul

kotsy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thats awesome thanks for the vid!

I love that this has been delayed another year yet the guy at 3:28 in the video is sitting on his phone doing nothing.....
*2:28

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there a law preventing us from bringing cheap labour from Asia?
I doubt labour is the issue here. We're talking about a difference between:

1 building a mostly surface laid non-electrified track over plain land without archeological investigations, environmental assessment or consultation with locals,
and
2 a tunnel and electrified track which passes under two other tunnels with electrified track through an area with mapped and unmapped underground utilities in addition to stations and accessible infrastructure, with neighbours who don't want 24x7 construction.

hw621

Member Bio
Reaction score
I doubt labour is the issue here. We're talking about a difference between:

1 building a mostly surface laid non-electrified track over plain land without archeological investigations, environmental assessment or consultation with locals,
and
2 a tunnel and electrified track which passes under two other tunnels with electrified track through an area with mapped and unmapped underground utilities in addition to stations and accessible infrastructure, with neighbours who don't want 24x7 construction.
others around the world also build 2 at a much faster pace...

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there a law preventing us from bringing cheap labour from Asia?
At this stage I don't care about the labour cost, just get it done. Can't we get anything done on time? This damn thing was announced in 2007 by Miller and Adam "casting couch" Giambrone. I expect it will be 2024 before the final elements are fully complete and operational, or seventeen years from announcement to completion for a system that is for much of its length a street level LRT.

At this rate, at 48 years old, I'll be lucky to still be alive by the time the DRL or Ontario Line is completed.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
others around the world also build 2 at a much faster pace...
I went looking for some facts to debate this statement, and I figured I'd start with Crossrail in London. The article that Google put at top of list was this one from CNN.

The UK's National Audit Office has blamed an "unrealistic" schedule for the delays. "The compressed schedule, the contractual model, the loss of downward pressure on costs and the absence of a realistic plan were set against an atmosphere where 'can do' became unrealistic," it wrote in May 2019.
Does that sound familiar? Ontario Line, anyone?

- Paul

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
thats what you get with unionised labour on govt jobs.
You do know that it is private companies doing the construction. They were given the specs or contract, and that is what they do. Except if they find something that was different or not in the specs, like undocumented pipes or utilities.