News   May 29, 2020
 550     0 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
As Ben Spurr points out:

Ben Spurr
So it looks like the province will use the Crosstown delay as justification for the legislation to streamline environmental assessments and other approvals.

Wag the dog.

AoD

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Let’s see if they can actually connect the dots. Was the alleged 15 month late start due to lack of approvals? Sounds like that delay happened after the contract was let, ie not as a result of an “excessive” EA process. Similarly, did the contractor only achieve 84% of schedule because approvals were holding things up? Or was that attributable to other things - labour supply, materiels, engineering, logistics, discovery work?
I sure hope they aren’t saying they will speed up the design/engineering piece. Nobody wants a substandard design. So far, the politicians are the ones using napkins and crayons, the engineers are using proper tools.

- Paul

Last edited:

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Let’s see if they can actually connect the dots. Was the alleged 15 month late start due to lack of approvals? Sounds like that delay happened after the contract was let, ie not as a result of an excessive EA process. Similarly, did the contractor only achieve 84% of schedule because approvals were holding things up? Or was that attributable to other things - labour supply, materiels, engineering, logistics, discovery work?
I sure hope they aren’t saying they will speed up the design/engineering piece. Nobody wants a substandard design. So far, the politicians are the ones using napkins and crayons, the engineers are using proper tools.

- Paul
Don't let it be forgotten that they had years to burn for this project - by far the greatest delays are political and not construction in nature. They chose to proceed with tunnelling and not station construction concurrently; they chose to switch mid-stream to a P3, etc. The P3 getting delayed is of course just icing on the cake.

AoD

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think we knew kinda from day 1 that this delay was inevitable.

Now they can keep pushing the date further into 2022 and still claim they opened the line in "2022", even if that ends up being November or December. They have a full calendar year of breathing room.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
On projects I work on for a transit company, about half of the timespan of any given project is put in for decision making (well, basically lack of decision making). Overreaching governance is a major issue in delays for public projects.
I'll make a response to that next month, after I undergo a study on the ramifications of any response, both positive and negative.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some actual good news despite the delay. At least we can get some sections open like the surface and western underground portion.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This will never happen, no matter how loud Josh Matlow cries over this. Cedarvale won't be ready before 2022
Cedarvale Station is less complicated to work with than Eglinton Station. Eglinton Station is a decades older and surrounded by tall buildings.