1.2K     0 
News   Feb 21, 2020
 1.3K     0 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The plan is pretty good, they just gotta get the $$$ for it.

While the now approved city building fund can't solve all our capital funding problems, I do hope some of it is put forward here to implement this.
I’m hoping a substantial portion of the funding could come from the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund, or a similar program. The federal government has already invested $1.5 Million, matched by be city, to fund design work.

Perhaps funding could be generated from local BIA’s as well. Although don’t even know if BIAs have the capability of generating substantial funding

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wish they would just tear down the school as well as York centre and upzone the area for 40 floor condos with community centres, schools, libraries on the bottom. The area needs a huge influx of people.
I've had similar thoughts in the past. Partner with that rental apartment complex along Greentree Crescent, demolish the whole area and rebuild, relocating the school further north, revamping Coronation Park next-door to provide duo-public and school athletic facilities for an efficient use of space, and build high density near Eglinton (and mid-density up to Yorktown Drive).

Fairly sure that this school, York Centre, and the surrounding buildings would constitute as heritage (not undeservedly) though.

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've had similar thoughts in the past. Partner with that rental apartment complex along Greentree Crescent, demolish the whole area and rebuild, relocating the school further north, revamping Coronation Park next-door to provide duo-public and school athletic facilities for an efficient use of space, and build high density near Eglinton (and mid-density up to Yorktown Drive).

Fairly sure that this school, York Centre, and the surrounding buildings would constitute as heritage (not undeservedly) though.
actually there are rumblings that the entire area up to the eglinton don mills zone will be classified as heritage....while I do welcome the significant landmarks, work down or just garbage buildings would be
barricaded behind a wall of red tape now if they want to redevelop....

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
actually there are rumblings that the entire area up to the eglinton don mills zone will be classified as heritage....while I do welcome the significant landmarks, work down or just garbage buildings would be
barricaded behind a wall of red tape now if they want to redevelop....
The City has far more “Heritage District” proposals lined up on paper than it will ever have time and resources to carry out.

Even if it were to happen, one of the first steps in a Heritage District study is to sort out which structures matter and which don’t.

- Paul

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why close the subway all the way up to Sheppard for work on the Crosstown, so trains will only go from Finch to Sheppard and back again.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why close the subway all the way up to Sheppard for work on the Crosstown, so trains will only go from Finch to Sheppard and back again.
Because Lawrence has substandard bus facilities and will likely have the power cut there if Eglinton also has it cut (the general rule is power cut as far as one station away on either side)

York Mills has a pocket track and not entirely suitable for turnbacks anymore. They can do it but it is not practical.

Sheppard has a crossover, it connects to the Sheppard subway and has adequate space for a turnback shuttle service.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Because Lawrence has substandard bus facilities and will likely have the power cut there if Eglinton also has it cut (the general rule is power cut as far as one station away on either side)

York Mills has a pocket track and not entirely suitable for turnbacks anymore. They can do it but it is not practical.

Sheppard has a crossover, it connects to the Sheppard subway and has adequate space for a turnback shuttle service.
Actually, they have and will continue to use the pocket track at York Mills for turnbacks.

But they can't for this round of Crosstown closures, as part of the work going on involves stringing up wires for the ATC system up to Lawrence and points north, and trackwork at the north end of the pocket track south of York Mills.

Dan

Aplus23

Member Bio
Reaction score
Where did I read that ATC was a joke, or the way we are doing it is. Something about wasting millions on the wires setup? Any truth to this?