News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I took the Sheppard East bus for about 2 years and the Finch East for 4 years going to university. I have no idea what number they were.
Yonge subway was always Yonge, or Yonge-University, or Yonge-University-Spadina.
Just because TTC came up with an illogical numbering system a few years ago - doesn't mean it's intuitive to people.

The Vaughan extension of Line 1 is no longer near Spadina anymore. While it may have a couple of stations at York University, north of Steeles it is closer to Highway 400.

Once the western extension of the Line 5 is built north of the Renforth Station to the Pearson Transit Hub, it won't be near Eglinton Avenue.

I took the Sheppard East bus for about 2 years and the Finch East for 4 years going to university. I have no idea what number they were.
Yonge subway was always Yonge, or Yonge-University, or Yonge-University-Spadina.
Just because TTC came up with an illogical numbering system a few years ago - doesn't mean it's intuitive to people.

You must be kidding about the number of the bus.

Can you, in all seriousness, claim you have not noticed the number:
  • above the door leading to the bus,
  • on the bus front display,
  • on the bus side display,
  • on the signpost at the bus stop,
  • or the TTC schedule/maps
that all have the number 85 written on the left of the route name?

I assume most English speakers read from left to right. So I really hope you are being sarcastic.

Last edited:
You must be kidding about the number of the bus.

Can you, in all seriousness, claim you have not noticed the number:
  • above the door leading to the bus,
  • on the bus front display,
  • on the bus side display,
  • on the signpost at the bus stop,
  • or the TTC schedule/maps
that all have the number 85 written on the left of the route name?

I assume most English speakers read from left to right. So I really hope you are being sarcastic.

Different people have different brains. They can notice acute details about many irrelevant things, but miss out on other glaring things. I rode the system for three decades without acknowledging route numbers. Only the last few years I memorized the downtown streetcar system's numbering. Even today bus routes I use regularly I can't tell you the number.

Since people are talking about relief lines and secondary Yonge subways in non-fantasy threads, one wonders if Crosstown east of DVP can have its own future service. Kennedy-Union...as a tram-train. The land availability and grades involved seem acceptable to make a transition from Credit Union Dr to RH corridor happen. Nothing crazy. It'd be a local service from Kennedy to Bermondsey, then direct right to Union thereafter. Once every 10mins at rush overlapped onto the normal Crosstown scheduling, would figure it'd be somewhat popular.

Different people have different brains. They can notice acute details about many irrelevant things, but miss out on other glaring things. I rode the system for three decades without acknowledging route numbers. Only the last few years I memorized the downtown streetcar system's numbering. Even today bus routes I use regularly I can't tell you the number.

Since people are talking about relief lines and secondary Yonge subways in non-fantasy threads, one wonders if Crosstown east of DVP can have its own future service. Kennedy-Union...as a tram-train. The land availability and grades involved seem acceptable to make a transition from Credit Union Dr to RH corridor happen. Nothing crazy. It'd be a local service from Kennedy to Bermondsey, then direct right to Union thereafter. Once every 10mins at rush overlapped onto the normal Crosstown scheduling, would figure it'd be somewhat popular.
The Kennedy to Bermondsey portion of the Eglinton LRT is already handicapped because it is on-street. It will already have reduced service compared to the underground portion, and now you want to take 1/3 of the service away.
Not that it's a bad idea, but the decision to build this on-street really makes it hard to make this a useful, rapid transit route. To some degree, it is similar to what I have proposed, but I suggest a separate line going from STC to the Don Valley, and then heading for downtown.

I wish it was gade separated. I liked the elevated designs proposed for the west extension and thought it could have worked on this section too.

If some of the underground trains get short turned at Laird then there could be capacity that can be filled by the tram-train idea.

Melbourne, Australia is currently undergoing a $6B( about $5.5B CAD) project to grade separate 75 of its tram street crossings. I have a feeling that one day the Crosstown will get a similar upgrade in the distant future.

Last edited:
The Kennedy to Bermondsey portion of the Eglinton LRT is already handicapped because it is on-street. It will already have reduced service compared to the underground portion, and now you want to take 1/3 of the service away.
Not that it's a bad idea, but the decision to build this on-street really makes it hard to make this a useful, rapid transit route. To some degree, it is similar to what I have proposed, but I suggest a separate line going from STC to the Don Valley, and then heading for downtown.

How do we know it will have reduced service? Is that published somewhere? Where will the eastbound LRVs turn back? Laird?

I wish it was gade separated. I liked the elevated designs proposed for the west extension and thought it could have worked on this section too.

If some of the underground trains get short turned at Laird then there could be capacity that can be filled by the tram-train idea.

Melbourne, Australia is currently undergoing a $6B( about $5.5B CAD) project to grade separate 75 of its rail street crossings. I have a feeling that one day the Crosstown will get a similar upgrade in the distant future.

Melbourne is grade separating 75 of it's heavy rail* street crossings. That's no different than what we are doing here in the GTA with Metrolinx's grade separation initiative in preparation for GO RER. None of their tram routes are getting this treatment, so its not comparable to the Eglinton Crosstown.

The closest thing to Eglinton in Melbourne would be route 96, and while that has some grade separation, much of the line still has at grade crossings with no plans to remove these. The grade separations that exist today are thanks to a previously used rail line that trams now use since it was converted to LRT.

Last edited:
3.2 Operations
Plan 3.2.1

LRT Service The service objective is to provide a peak-hour maximum capacity of 8000 pphpd (person per hour per direction) with at least 40% of passengers being able to be seated at the peak-hour demand. The service is proposed to operate at least every 6 minutes at peak times regardless of demand. It is expected that these requirements will result in all facilities being designed to accommodate ultimate train lengths of approximately 90 metres (consisting of three 30 metres long LRT vehicles).

Initially, the LRT Is not planned to operate 24 hours a day. During LRT operations, existing bus services along Eglinton Avenue will no longer exist. Some north-south buses that have a portion of their route travelling along Eglinton Avenue will continue to operate in short sections of the LRT corridor where necessary. In general, customers travelling east-west along Eglinton Avenue will be served by the LRT during normal operation hours as opposed to buses.

LRT operating headways will likely vary throughout the corridor. The tunnel portion of the LRT corridor will have turn back capability at both ends of the tunnel section to allow the LRT to operate with short turn service and provide shorter headways than on the surface sections. Headways on the surface section of the LRT also may vary depending on ridership demand.

Fare collection will be operated as proof of payment. This system will be implemented to avoid delays associated with traditional fare collection. Station and stop platforms will include ticket vending machines, which will also be used to facilitate transit transfers to subways and buses.

From the Environmental Project Report.

It is not set in stone, but it seems the city is planning to run the trains inside the tunnelled/grade-separated sections at a higher frequency than the street running sections.

I just noticed it's from the Transit City documents even though I found it in the crosstown website. Very interesting to see what could have been.
1577720572779.png

Melbourne is grade separating 75 of it's heavy rail* street crossings. That's no different than what we are doing here in the GTA with Metrolinx's grade separation initiative in preparation for GO RER. None of their tram routes are getting this treatment, so its not comparable to the Eglinton Crosstown.

The closest thing to Eglinton in Melbourne would be route 96, and while that has some grade separation, much of the line still has at grade crossings with no plans to remove these. The grade separations that exist today are thanks to a previously used rail line that trams now use since it was converted to LRT.

You're right. My bad. They are commuter lines with much longer statin distances.

Does anyone know of instances of street trams being converted to grade separate lines?

From the Environmental Project Report.

It is not set in stone, but it seems the city is planning to run the trains inside the tunnelled/grade-separated sections at a higher frequency than the street running sections.

Oh no. So we're going to be getting a lot of "THIS CAR IS SHORTTURNING. THIS IS THE LAST STOP. PLEASE EXIT THE TRAIN HERE" ??‍♂️

Back