602     0 
News   Sep 18, 2020
 7.1K     2 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

Hopkins123

Member Bio
Reaction score
They might increase service to compensate
Ummm no. A trip through the Bridle Path won't appeal to anyone especially when riders will be stuck in traffic along Bayview.
All this could've been avoided had they just had the foresight to build a proper side-of-roadway or elevated station at Leslie-Eglinton complete with a bus loop for the 51, 54 and 56. All this inconvenience for transit users for generations to come just to save like $100 million. Dumb!

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
All this could've been avoided had they just had the foresight to build a proper side-of-roadway or elevated station at Leslie-Eglinton complete with a bus loop for the 51, 54 and 56. All this inconvenience for transit users for generations to come just to save like $100 million. Dumb!
With the Ontario Line being built to Science Centre, it's more logical to terminate the 54 and future 954 there oppose to routing it to Leslie.
The problem wasn't to save money instead to avoid another shit show at City Hall with the late mayor at that time.

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
It wasn't the $100M, it's just that nobody wanted to admit that it was planned wrong under David Miller.
If planned properly from the start, it was likely cost neutral.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Except that the 54 was always to go to Don Mills, not Leslie. And the plan for the Leslie was to interline it with Leaside as they generally run very similar frequencies. There was never going to be a need for bus terminal at Leslie.

Dan

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Its more complicated than that.

While BUrlOak mentioned that the original plan, the one that went through was a bad inital decision, the reason alternatives werent looked at (well they were but then cancelled) was because the city JUST got the above ground portion returned to form after Rob Ford wanted to bury it.

There was a real sense of "let sleeping dogs lie" and just push the plan ahead as quick as possible.

So 100$ million saved over an elevated/completely grade separated version, but $4 billion saved from potentially opening the debate back up and allowing Rob Ford to bury the line.

Ozman

Member Bio
Reaction score
TTC planned number of trains for Lines 1 to 6.
From the 5 years plan: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2019/December_12/Reports/Attachment 1 TTC_5_year_SP_web.pdf#page=47

View attachment 218527

TTC only plans to run 34 Flexity's as 2-car trains on opening day.

I'm a little late getting to this discussion of Line 5 trains, but isn't the Flexity Freedom order from Bombardier (as reduced in 2018) for 76 cars? That would be 38 two-car trains; so why on earth is TTC talking about running 17 trains on opening day and ramping up to (only) 20 (2-car) trains by 2024? I understand they'll need to have spares but they'll be using less than half the cars they ordered!!!

Has the ridership projection changed massively (downward) from the planning a few years ago or has the Flexity Freedom order been reduced again and I was not aware?

What am I missing here? Something, somewhere doesn't add up.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm a little late getting to this discussion of Line 5 trains, but isn't the Flexity Freedom order from Bombardier (as reduced in 2018) for 76 cars? That would be 38 two-car trains; so why on earth is TTC talking about running 17 trains on opening day and ramping up to (only) 20 (2-car) trains by 2024? I understand they'll need to have spares but they'll be using less than half the cars they ordered!!!

Has the ridership projection changed massively (downward) from the planning a few years ago or has the Flexity Freedom order been reduced again and I was not aware?

They'll likely be running trains at existing demand loads assuming that the freedoms actually have space for 250 passengers.
I have a feeling that some bonehead at Metrolinx or the TTC forgot that rapid transit usually increases ridership almost instantly and that the Eglinton corridor will likely see significantly more traffic than it does now when the crosstown opens.

At about BD speeds, a train would complete a journey from Science Centre to Mt. Dennis in about 20 minutes, so for 4-minute frequencies (between Line 1 and line 4 frequencies), they'd need at least 10 trains, probably 11 maybe 12 for that one section. An additional 5-6 trains on the surface section equates to frequencies of about every 5-7 minutes. 17 Trains make sense for existing loads, but not at all for future demand, and if the past projections are true, and 300K people per day are supposed to use this line, then 76 trains likely won't even be enough.

Last edited:

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score

I suspect they ordered more for a higher spare ratio and TTC fleet plans are only for paper reference only. They can change within months. We know TTC can't plan but plans can also change things quickly. We should all calm down for the 17 trains on opening day. As long as there are more LRVs available, I don't see why they can't increase it if ridership is sufficient.