News   Apr 25, 2024
 612     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 512     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 758     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Maybe they're trying to avoid the colours used by the political parties?

In Canada, the official color for the New Democratic Party is orange, while the Liberal Party of Canada uses red, the Conservative Party of Canada uses blue, and the Bloc Québécois uses light blue. The Green Party of course uses green. So none of those colours can be used.
well grey is the shade of independants so technically a subiminal message of neutrality?? But it would be nice to see it end up with orange as its the colour of line 5. Then again, we still have ovver a year until completion so theres plenty of time for artistic cues. Lets not overreact on an unfinished project,, but UT is known for radical opinions..

IMHO, it should be easy enough to pick a bright color for the cars, and that's not a radical suggestion :)

Won't change the line's utility, may not have much impact on the acceptance of elevated transit in general, but will make ECLRT trains more pleasant, and easier to spot at a distance too.

The new Riyadh Metro currently under construction is doing a great job making all the elevated portions look nice. They covered the sides and added the lines' colors on the viaducts. They are even adding light fixtures under them and around the street with colors matching the lines.
View attachment 220201
View attachment 220205
View attachment 220206
Amazing what adding a small accented colour does to the concrete structure.

Anyway, isn't all this concern for naught? In other lines, the test vehicles were in grey/silver livery as well if I remember well.

IMHO, it should be easy enough to pick a bright color for the cars, and that's not a radical suggestion :)

Won't change the line's utility, may not have much impact on the acceptance of elevated transit in general, but will make ECLRT trains more pleasant, and easier to spot at a distance too.
Amazing what adding a small accented colour does to the concrete structure.

Anyway, isn't all this concern for naught? In other lines, the test vehicles were in grey/silver livery as well if I remember well.

Toronto is a city who’s public realm is dominated by greyish blues and greens. I’m all for anything that adds more colour to the public realm.

Honestly a setup like the elevated Riyadh Metro might very well be a net benefit for Eglinton West’s public realm, because it adds visual interest to a street thats otherwise fairly bland and expressionless (largely talking about west of Mt Dennis here)

If ECLRT is extended west elevated (as I believe it should be), I hope Metrolinx treats the elevated structure as an opportunity to improve the public realm, rather than as something that is merely utilitarian in design

Last edited:
Excited to see Kennedy Station transforming more and more in anticipating of the Crosstown, subscribe to my channel for more construction updates:

One nitpick - I believe that Kennedy will remain a one-track station for the immediate future. The double track will end just nort of the station.
The dual platforms are getting roughed in, but until ML decides how to handle the junction at Scarboro Jct, the track will not be doubled south from Kennedy.

- Paul

One nitpick - I believe that Kennedy will remain a one-track station for the immediate future. The double track will end just nort of the station.
The dual platforms are getting roughed in, but until ML decides how to handle the junction at Scarboro Jct, the track will not be doubled south from Kennedy.

- Paul

Not roughed in - there will be full double-track and dual platforms at Kennedy upon the opening of the Crosstown, with multiple underpasses to boot.

But yes, I believe that the usable double-track will exist only north of Kennedy for immediate future.

Dan

Not roughed in - there will be full double-track and dual platforms at Kennedy upon the opening of the Crosstown, with multiple underpasses to boot.

But yes, I believe that the usable double-track will exist only north of Kennedy for immediate future.

Dan

Will the second platform track be connected to the live tracks? Or will the end of the double track just be a single switch for now?

- Paul

Will the second platform track be connected to the live tracks? Or will the end of the double track just be a single switch for now?

- Paul

Admittedly, I'm not sure. The signal schematics that I saw - this was from several years ago, mind - only called for a single turnout at the north of the station with only the appropriate signal hardware installed.

But all of the drawings and designs for the station as it is being built do call for two tracks and two platforms to be completed, so......?

Dan

From link.

alignment_map_w_storage_track.jpg

There is no crossovers after Mount Dennis Station until Cedarvale Station. Until the Cedarvale Station is able to get the catenary & tracks installed and the catenary wires energized, testing of the light rail vehicles will have to be done on single track only.

From link.

alignment_map_w_storage_track.jpg

There is no crossovers after Mount Dennis Station until Cedarvale Station. Until the Cedarvale Station is able to get tracks installed and energized, testing of the light rail vehicles will have to be done on single track only.
what's preventing them from running LRT's back and forth on 2 tracks?

Upcoming Traffic Change at Black Creek Drive and Eglinton Avenue West

From link.

As early as Friday December 20, 2019, the traffic configuration on Eglinton Avenue West will reopen to four lanes. All turns at Black Creek Drive and Eglinton Avenue West will be reinstated. One work zone will remain in place on the north side of Eglinton Ave W, east of Black Creek Dr until Municipal Dr.

Traffic on Black Creek Drive will remain open to four lanes. The north and east crosswalks at the intersection will remain closed. The south and west crosswalk will remain open. There will be no impacts to TTC bus service.

Lighting Installation at the Elevated Guideway Mid-January 2020

From link.

As early as mid-January 2020, crews at Black Creek Drive will be installing lighting under the elevated guideway for approximately four days. The installation will take place in three phases. Phase one will be overnight and require a northbound closure of Black Creek Drive, north of Eglinton Avenue West. Traffic travelling northbound on Black Creek Drive will be required to turn eastbound or westbound at Eglinton Avenue West. During the daytime, the northbound lanes will reopen.

Phases two and three will require two lane closures of vehicular traffic travelling southbound on Black Creek Drive, north of Eglinton Avenue West. During this time, eastbound and westbound turns will be restricted. This work will take place during the daytime, off-peak hours.

Construction Staging – Northbound Closure (Phase One)

black_creek_phase_1_jan_2020.jpg

Construction Staging – Southbound Lane Closures (Phase Two & Three)
black_creek_phase_2_jan_2020.jpg

black_creek_phase_3_jan_2020.jpg

Back