News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 245     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 728     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Good. Well manicured grass is not good for the environment. It takes in little cO2 and requires much cO2 in the form of cutting equipment, fertilizers and pesticides to keep it maintained. It has a negative net benefit on the environment. We should not be installing grass medians.

Astroturf if you must have that look. Can be made of recycled plastic
I am also in favour of Astroturf medians.

Im no gardener, or landscape architect, but if any dirt or porous material is going to go between the rails, wont it flood if it rains? There doesnt seem to be any drainage at all in the concrete...

Im no gardener, or landscape architect, but if any dirt or porous material is going to go between the rails, wont it flood if it rains? There doesnt seem to be any drainage at all in the concrete...

There's been years of experience in Europe and around the world, so they know about it. Unless Metrolinx will do as they currently do, and try to reinvent everything.

There's been years of experience in Europe and around the world, so they know about it. Unless Metrolinx will do as they currently do, and try to reinvent everything.

They bring up a good point though that if the concrete base wasn't created with the proper drainage, we probably wont be seeing grass medians anytime soon. You cant just slap some grass ontop of concrete, it has to be done properly from the ground up

If you look at my photo, you will see there is about a foot clearance under the rail itself. You then have the space for the rail/ROW itself that will be fill with dirt to support the grass. I have yet to see any drainage from the concrete top base to any system in the base concrete to allow water to escape. I haven't had a full view of the area where grass is supposed to go in to see if there is any drainage there.

With the amount of rain we get, will take a big rain fall to create a pool of water at the base of all of this dirt/?.

In what century was that by-law created in? The city would just require that the artificial turf be porous.

It requires that the turf be porous and the dirt underneath not be hard-packed.

If you put down a gravel/sand layer it would probably be fine.

Fall Open Houses

You're invited to our fall open houses! Come out to learn about the future Crosstown stations and stops in your neighbourhood and the progress on the new Eglinton line now under construction.Click the image below to view the flyer.

Back