News   Apr 26, 2024
 243     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 725     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Line 5.
The Orange Line.
Eglinton Line.

Crosstown is a marketing name from Metrolinx that will disappear as soon as Metrolinx does. The brand is TTC and no one will ever think of Metrolinx again once the last press conference is held.

the crosstown will be in way more use than "line 5" or "The orange line" If you do, you would be the 1st to use colors as an alternative to line names

the crosstown will be in way more use than "line 5" or "The orange line" If you do, you would be the 1st to use colors as an alternative to line names
I don't think the Crosstown would be even heard after a few years. Technically Line 2 is the real crosstown line. It reaches more in the west. I'll expect the Eglinton Line, Line 5 or Line 5 Eglinton be used more regularly in the news and by the TTC. Some riders will call it the Orange Line. Besides us calling the subway to Vaughan as the TYSSE or Spadina subway extension, you won't hear that term used in a boarder environment.

It'll be interesting to see if people will use the term LRT to refer to Line 5. LRT is harder to say than subway in quick speech. Maybe people will adopt the term subway for it, especially the west end since it is a subway till Laird.

I don't think the Crosstown would be even heard after a few years. Technically Line 2 is the real crosstown line. It reaches more in the west. I'll expect the Eglinton Line, Line 5 or Line 5 Eglinton be used more regularly in the news and by the TTC. Some riders will call it the Orange Line. Besides us calling the subway to Vaughan as the TYSSE or Spadina subway extension, you won't hear that term used in a boarder environment.

It'll be interesting to see if people will use the term LRT to refer to Line 5. LRT is harder to say than subway in quick speech. Maybe people will adopt the term subway for it, especially the west end since it is a subway till Laird.
Subway.

Aside. I had no idea that surfers were such transit users....

I'm surprised that no one asked if there will be a washroom in it. It's like with the subway extension everyone wants every sation to have washrooms in them.
I think every station should. It would (if accompanied by sufficient cleaning) be a huge improvement in the ability of those challenged in that area - young, old, disabled - to access transit without undue stress, especially when considering transfers to the surface network as the entire journey length. If the low tax crusaders can’t stomach that, put a library on top with a washroom there - with Presto going in and out of the fare paid zone isn’t the problem it used to be. But instead we get the bare minimum, and not even full length/width shelter at surface Crosstown stops.

I have a friend living on Eglinton (who isn't in anyway a transit fanatic) and they just refer to the Crosstown as a subway. I doubt anyone in Toronto will call it an "LRT" given Torontonians don't really know what an LRT is (and don't really care) so I inevitably see the line being interchangeably called subway or streetcar. Same for Finch West, when talking to folks along the street I refer to it as a streetcar line as confused faces start to form when I mention LRT.

I think every station should. It would (if accompanied by sufficient cleaning) be a huge improvement in the ability of those challenged in that area - young, old, disabled - to access transit without undue stress, especially when considering transfers to the surface network as the entire journey length. If the low tax crusaders can’t stomach that, put a library on top with a washroom there - with Presto going in and out of the fare paid zone isn’t the problem it used to be. But instead we get the bare minimum, and not even full length/width shelter at surface Crosstown stops.

I rather like the minimalist design considering how overboard the TYSSE stations look in comparison. Realistically, a normal commuter is spending a max. 10 minutes in a station and is looking to get from point A to B, not gawk at oversized modern art for a couple of hours. I do agree on the washrooms, Vancouver is currently installing small portable toilets inside their stations so it's conceivable that Eglinton can do the same. Even portable outhouses outside the station entrances would be acceptable in my opinion (if cleaned regularly they aren't too bad).

Last edited:
Had a look today at a few areas of the line and noticed the pole to support the overhead is square compare to TTC and other systems that use round.

From looks of things, track in place from Mount Denise Station to the Portal entrance. Odd looking at the track as its not the every day layout compare to TTC and 6 systems that I have seen and rode this year on top many others in NA and Europe.

New centre support column been work on on the west side of the existing RR bridge.

Over 50% of track between O'Connor Dr and Pharmacy is pour and open track that is the same for the Black Creek area. Another section looks like it was pour today. The rails need to be cut and welded at Pharmacy to allow the remaining track to be form and pour.

On the east side of Pharmacy, part of the base is ready to see rail, but not going to happen until all the base is in place. Work in other areas still digging the base out while others ready for rail to the point rail on site. The road west of the portal entrance at Kennedy Rd is seeing asphalt remove to allow the digging of the base.

The first section of the tunnel roof at the portal entrance is pour. With the retaining walls and centre wall being strip, more of the tunnel roof will be pour in the coming weeks. Still a lot of framing and pouring of walls on the east side of Kennedy to be done. Huge hole in the tunnel floor east of Kennedy Rd and most likely where the crossover will go to get to/from the Kennedy Station.

Still a lot of work to be done on the Kennedy station, let along the excavation of the tunnel up to the bus entrance/exit. Reinforcement on the west side of the SRT north pier is done and been worked on the east side. Until all the reinforcement is done, can't excavate the area under the SRT for the tunnel.
48610420592_f1c810c913_b.jpg

48610267456_37e4013f2d_b.jpg

48610266591_aba7686787_b.jpg

Last edited:
In the tunneled section, I'd call it the Eglinton Subway, in the aboveground section, I'd probably call it Line 5 or the Eglinton Crosstown.
It's not tunneled vs. aboveground. Will the portion through Black Creek be called something different.
People don't give a different name to Yonge between Bloor and Eglinton, or Spadina from Eglinton to Sheppard, or Bloor (in various spots).
The different naming will be the result of ON-STREET being a much inferior product and people who use that stretch will obviously give it a different name.

Had a look today at a few areas of the line and noticed the pole to support the overhead is square compare to TTC and other systems that use round.

From looks of things, track in place from Mount Denise Station to the Portal entrance. Odd looking at the track as its not the every day layout compare to TTC and 6 systems that I have seen and rode this year on top many others in NA and Europe.

New centre support column been work on on the west side of the existing RR bridge.

Over 50% of track between O'Connor Dr and Pharmacy is pour and open track that is the same for the Black Creek area. Another section looks like it was pour today. The rails need to be cut and welded at Pharmacy to allow the remaining track to be form and pour.

On the east side of Pharmacy, part of the base is ready to see rail, but not going to happen until all the base is in place. Work in other areas still digging the base out while others ready for rail to the point rail on site. The road west of the portal entrance at Kennedy Rd is seeing asphalt remove to allow the digging of the base.

The first section of the tunnel roof at the portal entrance is pour. With the retaining walls and centre wall being strip, more of the tunnel roof will be pour in the coming weeks. Still a lot of framing and pouring of walls on the east side of Kennedy to be done. Huge hole in the tunnel floor east of Kennedy Rd and most likely where the crossover will go to get to/from the Kennedy Station.

Still a lot of work to be done on the Kennedy station, let along the excavation of the tunnel up to the bus entrance/exit. Reinforcement on the west side of the SRT north pier is done and been worked on the east side. Until all the reinforcement is done, can't excavate the area under the SRT for the tunnel.
48610420592_f1c810c913_b.jpg

48610267456_37e4013f2d_b.jpg

48610266591_aba7686787_b.jpg
But why are the overhead poles square? Is it a cost saving measure? More efficient? Easier to maintain?

Back