News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 865     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

^More roof area may matter in bad weather. If everyone huddles under the wee bits of shelter, when a trainset arrives, there will be crowding at a few doors and no one boarding at others, The result will be longer dwell time.
The roof should be long enough that people aren’t bunched on the platform.

- Paul

Honestly the largest contributor to dwell times I have seen on the new streetcars is by far how ungodly slow the doors are to open and close. Its unreal. What an engineering fail.

This seems to be a systemwide issue. The subway doors take forever to open/close on the new TR rockets, the new fare gates take forever to open and close. Something about modern systems/actuators that are making doors a nightmare in modern systems.

Honestly the largest contributor to dwell times I have seen on the new streetcars is by far how ungodly slow the doors are to open and close. Its unreal. What an engineering fail.

This seems to be a systemwide issue. The subway doors take forever to open/close on the new TR rockets, the new fare gates take forever to open and close. Something about modern systems/actuators that are making doors a nightmare in modern systems.
I'm not sure we should want Montreal metro-like speeds for opening the doors, but at the same time, I cannot disagree with you. What is interesting though is that the TRs used to be a lot worse. I'm not sure why bombardier's door times seem to be slightly longer than other city's (with the exception of New York, where the guard has to close the doors in parts on most lines).

I'm curious as to the actual time between opening doors and closing them, and wonder how it's affecting service. Theoretically, it isn't as bad as it was because lines 1 & 4 are all TRs while Line 2 is all T1s, so it's likely that the difference in dwell times aren't affecting services on the subway, but I can guarantee it's a bigger issue for the streetcars (especially since they take even longer to open and close).

I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, but my best assumption would be differences in the train's software, and the increased level of safety implemented. If it really is a huge issue and it is software related, I'm sure the engineers at bombardier can fix the issue if enough people complain.

The subway doors take forever to open/close on the new TR rockets,

This is the one thing I miss about the H series cars. The H2 and the H4 cars would leave a bruise if not break a rib should you be caught in the closing doors. They were a virtual guillotine.

Those doors were deadly and I doubt the TTC wants that to happen again.

This is the one thing I miss about the H series cars. The H2 and the H4 cars would leave a bruise if not break a rib should you be caught in the closing doors. They were a virtual guillotine.

Those doors were deadly and I doubt the TTC wants that to happen again.

I dunno, the door rushers that delay the line by forcing the doors open might reconsider next time

I'm not sure we should want Montreal metro-like speeds for opening the doors, but at the same time, I cannot disagree with you. What is interesting though is that the TRs used to be a lot worse. I'm not sure why bombardier's door times seem to be slightly longer than other city's (with the exception of New York, where the guard has to close the doors in parts on most lines).

I'm curious as to the actual time between opening doors and closing them, and wonder how it's affecting service. Theoretically, it isn't as bad as it was because lines 1 & 4 are all TRs while Line 2 is all T1s, so it's likely that the difference in dwell times aren't affecting services on the subway, but I can guarantee it's a bigger issue for the streetcars (especially since they take even longer to open and close).

I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, but my best assumption would be differences in the train's software, and the increased level of safety implemented. If it really is a huge issue and it is software related, I'm sure the engineers at bombardier can fix the issue if enough people complain.

I agree, but the streetcar doors are absurdly long to open and close. Couple that with people running up right before the streetcar is to leave and pressing the door button to get on, and you have a huge issue.

Looking at the way the new streetcar doors open and close im worried not much can be done, they have this awkward hinge way of opening that looks like speeding it up would cause issues.

The only thing that could be solved is the warning delay before they open and close. Just remove that. But I guess its there for a reason..

They need to disable that door open button however after the door has already opened once. Or just open the doors at every stop through the driver and disable the door button entirely.

^Doors may be slow, but if you get a dozen people trying to get on at one door, you get a) people trying to get off who have to push through the waiting boarders, and then b) seven or eight who board but don’t move inwards, and then c) a bunch who want to board but can’t until the first bunch move further in and make space. Only then can the doors close (slowly).
Spread the people down the platform, and this is minimised.

- Paul

Blame the TTC, that's how they sped'c the doors to open/close. If you think the Flexitys are bad, just look and how long it takes the TTCs NovaBus fleet to open and close rear doors. Half the doors on the fleet are becoming flimsy partly based on the amount of force people use to open a door they think isn't opening for them due to the time delay on the doors.

As for the Crosstown fleet, the door specs would be up to Metrolinx (the TTC has no say) which may, or may not be a good think depending on how fast/slow the doors will close.

Blame the TTC, that's how they sped'c the doors to open/close. If you think the Flexitys are bad, just look and how long it takes the TTCs NovaBus fleet to open and close rear doors. Half the doors on the fleet are becoming flimsy partly based on the amount of force people use to open a door they think isn't opening for them due to the time delay on the doors.

As for the Crosstown fleet, the door specs would be up to Metrolinx (the TTC has no say) which may, or may not be a good think depending on how fast/slow the doors will close.
Should operate the same as the flexity outlooks

ct.jpg

Metrolinx blog entry on the vehicles, delivery process (plenty of transport/unloading shots), and a tiny bit on the project state.

Surprised to see the "stop request" function included. I remembered early documents said that the LRV's would stop at every stop. I assumed it was because the LRV's would be too fast and heavy to stop safely if they were included. Nonetheless, quite happy it is included and will hopefully make-up for the close spacing between the the stops on the on-street segment.

Back