News   Apr 26, 2024
 671     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 237     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 717     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I googled "guideway" and pretty well every image was an elevated line.
Wait - East. Did they decide to elevate the East end after all - if so, hooray.?
Are you talking about the elevated portion of the line (near Black Creek - and you just mixed up east and west), or the on-street street-car style of track bed in the East?
He is speaking of the on-ground centre median streetcar-style track beds.

They have a healthy communications budget which would be (less) necessary if we lived in a day when people trusted the government and its various arms to do good quality work in the general best interests of the public.

There is also a general level of stupidity in the universe whereby people can live next to the construction without any awareness of what is being built or when it will be done. Amazingly, there are people in the city who have no idea that a major 'subway' (ok, on UT I'll make sure I say rapid rail transit) line is under construction.
There is obvious confusion as many are treating this like a rapid transit line - akin to a subway.
But when they get information that it will run on-street like a street car, they get confused.
They should have been honest and said that to save a few hundred million dollars on a $6B job (i.e. about 4%), it was decided to run on street.
Maybe the public would be happy to hear the truth. :)
Or possibly, they would have been happy to hear this at the start so they could kick in that extra few dollars and have a proper transit line. Another problem was that some argued that it was preferred to be on street compared to grade-separated. Public realized this was an obvious lie, and the entire LRT planning became a joke.

Or possibly, they would have been happy to hear this at the start so they could kick in that extra few dollars and have a proper transit line.
The term 'Penny wise and Pound foolish' has never applied so well. It wasn't and isn't as easy as doing it that way, obviously, but your point applies to a lot of Toronto's transit planning. They bored two tunnels all the way up to Vaughan, and yet they can't across town. And most of the public remain oblivious to the whole issue.

Vaughan should have been (as originally proposed) surface run, with massive savings from doing so. Eglinton now has no chance of being turned into a full subway later. The demand will be there!
A premetro is a tramway or light railway which includes segments built to rapid transit standards, generally as part of a process of conversion to a metro-standards railway usually by the construction of tunnels in the central city area.
Wikipedia

The term: "You get the government you deserve" also applies here.

In fact many haven't. If they don't get to the ground level of every station by the end of summer, I say they will be really tight on time.
By get to ground level, do you mean cut and cover/mine from surface to platform level, or do you mean completing the concrete pours from the platform level to the surface for concourse and ground levels?

Not in doubt. The people in charge of the Traffic Lights here are VERY pro car and anti-streetcar. They do everything within their power to sabotage the signal priority here.

That's gonna be funny to see when the ION opens, and we see automobile gods everyone poop their pants

Automobile Drivers -0
ION LRT drivers- 1

Back