397     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 596     0 

CP North Toronto Station Restaurant (Woodcliffe, 2s, Taylor Smyth) DEAD

• Thread starter fiendishlibrarian
  • Start date
F

fiendishlibrarian

The story in the Post about the restaurant proposed for the CPR bridge mentions that the tracks are abandoned. Is that the case? I saw trains along there last week.

The bridge is more like half-abandoned--that is, it's much wider than the existing track ROW. (Remember, it was built to serve a passenger station.) Also remember that the "abandoned" part (i.e. the south half) supported a neon Xmas tree just recently. That's where the restaurant'd go, I reckon.

From The Star, Sat. March 4, Page H8:

In the category of "This I Gotta See", a developer is proposing to build a restaurant on an unused portion of railway track outside the Summerhill LCBO.

Woodcliffe Corp. plans to construct a gourmet restaurant on the southern edge of the CP Rail bridge above Yonge St., right beside a working track.

How will the rumbling influence the dinner experience? When I lived in the area, I heard the noise clearly though the tracks were three blocks away. The new restaurant might as well be in the centre of a Highway 401 cloverleaf ramp. Who the heck would pay big money to eat foie gras with the walls rattling?

- Amy Pataki (restaurant critic)

Anyone remember Victoria Station at Leaside? (Real 70s kids' birthday dining experience.)

"Who the heck would pay big money to eat foie gras with the walls rattling?"

If the rattling was that bad, would they have put the LCBO there?

The concept of a reaturant right beside the CP main line reminds me of a light rail line in Los Angeles with a station in the median of a busy highway. It was so noisy you had to shout to be heard by the person beside you.

A few of the L stations in Chicago (such as Cumberland), in the median of the Kennedy, Eisenhower and Dan Ryan, are exactly the same - I was surprised by how they were wide open, with only a partial roof to protect against the elements.

Even in the Duke of York, which is on Prince Arthur, you can feel the subway trains rattling quite well from the top floor of the bar. And this is a pub, with the quieter subway muffled by a tunnel and several floors.

It's said to be the busiest stretch of track in the country.

This is an application to permit a two-storey development on and adjacent to the CP rail bridge where it crosses Yonge Street, south of Shaftesbury Avenue. The proposal consists of a 1043 m , 100-seat restaurant to be located on the existing platform to the south of the active rail tracks, in a building spanning from the west to east sides of Yonge Street, connected to the historic North Toronto Station. The proposal also includes six retail stores, totalling 940 m , to be built into the railway underpass along the west side of Yonge.

I think the bit on the restaurant was reported in the Post awhile ago as well.

AoD

Very interesting.

Commenting only on the addition of stores to the west side of the underpass: if they end up being complimentary to the windows into the LCBO on the east side, I am all for it. Those windows greatly enliven the sidewalk, and adding retail life to the west side can only improve the pedestrian experience along Yonge.

The line drawings of the rest of the complex are not sufficiently detailed for me to want to make any judgement call on that part of the proposal.

There was some commentary on this board several months ago when this idea first came forward. I have a hard time visualizing a quality" restaurant sitting only feet away from this active rail line, even with good soundproofing. I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope not. We need to preserve our railway ROWs. Heck, all available ROWs. We're going to need them one day! We've been way too shortsighted here when it comes to this.

Back