News   Apr 19, 2024
 587     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 984     3 

Coxwell CNR bridge

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
According to Steve Munro's blog, the Coxwell rail bridge is going to have some sort of project done starting in April for about two months. Does anyone know what the plan is - scheduled maintenance on the existing (and boy could it use some TLC) or Metrolinx work to provision a 4th track?

Bridge Rehabilitation Coxwell Avenue
Starting in April 2019 and continuing until September 2019 the City of Toronto is planning to rehabilitate the Coxwell Avenue bridge under the railway, south of Hanson Street, and repave and repair the pedestrian pathway south of the railway between Coxwell Avenue and Woodfield Road.
To complete this work, there will be no NORTHBOUND traffic on Coxwell Avenue from Fairford Avenue/Gerrard Street to Hanson Street. Access to driveways, businesses, and streets will remain open at all times, but will only be accessible from Coxwell Avenue southbound.
The pedestrian pathway south of the railway will be CLOSED between Coxwell Avenue and Woodfield Road for a period of approximately three weeks during construction.
A more specific timeline will be provided in a future notice. Signage will be posted near the pathway to help guide pedestrians.
This work will ensure that the bridge meets today’s standards and remains safe for vehicles and pedestrians into the future. The project is part of the Council-approved 2019 Capital Works Program.

- Per Councillor Bradford Newsletter

I occasionally use the pathway mentioned - will be interesting to see what they do with this promised repair. It is not wheelchair/stroller accessible at the Coxwell end. A U Haul depot has opened immediately south of the path exit - not the best place for vehicle ingress/egress given the impeded sightlines the bridge causes.

Also, technically it's a Metrolinx-owned line so it's now a Metrolinx and not CNR bridge. It's historically a CNR bridge.

I occasionally use the pathway mentioned - will be interesting to see what they do with this promised repair. It is not wheelchair/stroller accessible at the Coxwell end. A U Haul depot has opened immediately south of the path exit - not the best place for vehicle ingress/egress given the impeded sightlines the bridge causes.
Really hope they work on the grading of the path because many parts of it I find to be all bumpy from the surrounding trees.

One problem with that area is the lack of alternatives to Coxwell in either direction because of the rail corridor.

Wonder if they will rough in a fourth track? Ow will that be a separate structure built whenever ML commissions that project? (Looks like there is enough width, but to be sure...)

- Paul

Wonder if they will rough in a fourth track? Ow will that be a separate structure built whenever ML commissions that project? (Looks like there is enough width, but to be sure...)
I don't think it needs a separate structure - it looks like it's wide enough for 4 tracks.

Digging through historical aerials on the City website, it had 4 tracks back in 1967 - as did the structure over Greenwood. It narrowed to 2 tracks west of Greenwood yard, and 3 tracks east of Coxwell.

Looks like the Woodbine structure is wide enough for 4 tracks too (though was 3 back in 1967). Gosh, and Victoria Park was 9 tracks in 1967. Looks like it could easily fit 8 now (it's currently 4).

I don't think it needs a separate structure - it looks like it's wide enough for 4 tracks.

Digging through historical aerials on the City website, it had 4 tracks back in 1967 - as did the structure over Greenwood. It narrowed to 2 tracks west of Greenwood yard, and 3 tracks east of Coxwell.

Looks like the Woodbine structure is wide enough for 4 tracks too (though was 3 back in 1967). Gosh, and Victoria Park was 9 tracks in 1967. Looks like it could easily fit 8 now (it's currently 4).

Grand Trunk/CN had helper engines for its freights between Toronto and Port Union to get up and over the hill as the tracks climb and descend the old Lake Iroquois Shoreline, with a yard at East Toronto/"York" near where Danforth Station is now. Dieselization and the move to the new freight route and McMillan Yard got rid of the need for the Mimico yard (which became GO and later VIA, allowing the downtown passenger train yards to be redeveloped) and the York yard and those "unnecessary" tracks now that it was mostly passenger only. Of course that was before GO expanded with new routes and express trains and GO has to put some of those tracks back.

Of course that was before GO expanded with new routes and express trains and GO has to put some of those tracks back.

Nitpick: There were only ever 2 mainline tracks along the Kingston Sub prior to about 1965. As part of the upgrades for both GO Transit and the TurboTrain, a third mainline track was built between Scarborough and Guildwood, and the 4-track sections of mainline were built at 5 or 6 different locations between Toronto and Montreal.

So to say that GO "has to put some of those tracks back" isn't totally correct, as those previous tracks were never built nor maintained to mainline standards. They were service tracks used for roadswitchers servicing the various industries along the line, or for the helpers to slowly plod their way back down the grade if there was too much traffic otherwise. The current mainline setup is more capacity than has ever existed on the corridor.

Dan

Reactions: rbt
Quick question for those of you who may know off the top of your head.....is there room in the corridor, bridges aside, to place a 5th track between downtown and Stouffville junction?

I was looking at proposals that are part of the Main Street planning study, for roughly the area surrounding Danforth GO.

GO is already proceeding w/plans to 4-track this section.

But I was thinking that inter-city services might necessitate a 5th track in the longer term; and looking at property lines, I wasn't sure if it could be squeezed in without property acquisition.

Should the latter be needed, development setbacks would have to be impacted.

Quick question for those of you who may know off the top of your head.....is there room in the corridor, bridges aside, to place a 5th track between downtown and Stouffville junction?

I was looking at proposals that are part of the Main Street planning study, for roughly the area surrounding Danforth GO.

GO is already proceeding w/plans to 4-track this section.

But I was thinking that inter-city services might necessitate a 5th track in the longer term; and looking at property lines, I wasn't sure if it could be squeezed in without property acquisition.

Should the latter be needed, development setbacks would have to be impacted.

With the exception of around the stations, yes, a 5th mainline track can be built within the current property limits. In fact, early plans for the proposed station at East Harbour showed 5 mainline tracks, although all of the current plans only show four.

Dan

With the exception of around the stations, yes, a 5th mainline track can be built within the current property limits. In fact, early plans for the proposed station at East Harbour showed 5 mainline tracks, although all of the current plans only show four.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

Most of the stations are surrounding by GO Parking and could therefore be rearranged for a 5th track if needs be.

Danforth appears more constrained, and there's also the Main Street bridge.

I don't know if Canada Lands still has title to the self-storage site which would create enough room for track 5.......hmmmm.

Looks like construction has been postponed as my 22 didn’t divert northbound today. There’s also a notice on the TTC website about it postponed till further notice.

Back