304     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 555     0 

Councillor wants tolls considered

W

wyliepoon

miketoronto's nemesis makes the news again...

Link to article

Councillor wants tolls considered
But expects rejection

James Cowan
National Post

Friday, January 05, 2007

The chairman of Toronto's works and infrastructure committee wants road tolls to be "on the table" as the city plans its longterm transportation strategy.

Glenn De Baeremaeker said city council will have to consider imposing tolls when it debates a new transportation plan this spring. The works chairman said the idea must be discussed, but his hunch is that tolls will ultimately be rejected by both politicians and residents.

"My sense is that the Mayor is not supportive of them and I don't think the public is supportive of them, so I don't know if this is the point in history where we'll act on them, but I do think tolls have to be on the table as an option," Mr. De Baeremaeker said in an interview.

The councillor said he personally is neither "in love with" nor "hostile" to imposing road tolls on expressways.

"I'm not advocating it but I do think we have to consider it," he said. "And when we reject it, we reject it knowing we have to consider other things."

Gary Welsh, general manager of the transportation department, said city staff intend to present councillors with a range of options for easing gridlock as part of the transportation strategy. Tolls will appear on the list, but Mr. Welsh said he does not view them as a "top priority."

"We would be criticized if we didn't include them, because there are members of the public who think they're something we should pursue," he said.

Mr. Welsh said he does not believe tolls are a practical solution to Toronto's traffic woes. "You can't just slap tolls on a roadway," he said. "You can't just do it one day and expect the public to start paying or find alternative routes. At this time, we don't think it's practical."

Cities such as London, England and Stockholm, Sweden, have had success imposing road tolls and congestion charges. However, Mr. Welsh noted the tolls created a need for heavy spending in other areas. "London invested heavily in their transit capability," he said. "I think they bought 300 buses before they put in tolls."

Mr. Welsh said he suspects the transportation strategy will focus on improving traffic flow by updating the city's antiquated traffic management system and expanding public transit and cycling lanes rather than introducing tolls. He said he is concerned a debate about tolls will overwhelm the discussion of other options.

"They're a hot topic but we don't think they will fl y," he said.

Mr. De Baeremaeker did note tolls could be used to generate revenue for other projects, such as an expanded streetcar network.

"If we want a spider web of streetcar lines all across Toronto, out to the hinterlands of Toronto, how do we pay for that?" he said. "I think we have to look at having a road toll and using that money to fix potholes and increase public transit. We have to stack that up against the other things we're going to do."

Mayor David Miller mused about imposing road tolls during the 2003 election but quickly reversed his position. The new City of Toronto Act makes it easier for city council to create tolls, but Mr. Miller has said he is not interested.

"If we want a spider web of streetcar lines all across Toronto, out to the hinterlands of Toronto, how do we pay for that?"

We don't want that!

Back