Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Could end up being a blessing in disguise. They'll be forced to replace it all and, hopefully, with something of visual interest. 1990-2020 has been an incredibly soul sucking experience from an architectural POV. The last few years we've witnessed that obsession with all glass everything weaken. We could see many of these buildings re-clad with actual walls.

Stone, metal, colour, texture, solidity? Yes, please!
It's definitely encouraging to see proposals with more varied facades these days, indeed the obsession with all-glass envelopes might be waning; likely helped by environmental concerns. I also recall years back Toronto talking about mandating a maximum % of the facade that can be clad with glass, but I'm not sure if that ever went into effect.

Why would they be "forced to replace it all"?
Forced due to failure of the glass, presumably. I suppose it's possible they can just replace failed units as it happens, but if failures happen on a larger scale, re-cladding might become necessary. It might be favourable when looked at from an environmental standpoint too, as all glass buildings consume more energy, and if/when it comes time to re-clad a building, owners might rethink an all-glass envelope.

It's definitely encouraging to see proposals with more varied facades these days, indeed the obsession with all-glass envelopes might be waning; likely helped by environmental concerns. I also recall years back Toronto talking about mandating a maximum % of the facade that can be clad with glass, but I'm not sure if that ever went into effect.
If using window wall, maximum 40% of the exterior can be "vision" glass, or windows, but there' no reason that glass fronted shadow box or spandrel panels, both of which are insulated, can't be used. Curtainwall, which is better insulated, isn't so much of an issue. So, buildings can still be all glass exteriors.

For all the aesthetic benefits of a deep shadow box in place of a shallower insulated spandrel (i.e. good visual depth, a true shadow effect that appears more like vision glass from a distance), the condensation/moisture in the shadow boxes as seen at Corus Quay is the risk that you run with using it.

Reviving this thread to note that this building has been purchased by George Brown College to expand their waterfront campus.

I will also note for @Art Tsai and @interchange42 that this older one never did get a database entry/pin on the map.

From the article:

1702478313118.png

1702478355631.png

1702478392622.png

Interesting news. When I first saw the headline I initially thought that a university had made the purchase and got very excited! My question now is where is Corus going? Is there going to be an announcement from Hines in the next few days?!

And on a purely speculative note I see many possibilities now that GBC long-term plans are to double its student population in East Bayfront. The biggest is that the cultural attraction on the east side of Parliament Slip is being discussed and the inclusion of a large performing arts centre for the college would make sense as well as utilizing the perfect location.

Corus may be losing a prime waterfront location from this deal. I'm not sure why they would be ok with this.

Corus may be losing a prime waterfront location from this deal. I'm not sure why they would be ok with this.
The property is owned by H&R REIT, it was sold by Corus in 2012.

I would assume what was unsaid was "until the end of their current lease". I wonder if they'll end up in the T3 complex just down the street?!

Back