News   Jul 25, 2024
 207     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 402     0 

Corporate Presence in Toronto.

You also have a lot of insurance companies, Canadian HQ of international companies, and a lot of gold & mining and law and advertising firms.
Here are some examples that you hear about on a daily basis:
-Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
-Kinross Gold Corporation
-Onex Corporation
-Hudson's Bay Company
-Brookfield Asset Management
-Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
-McClelland & Stewart Limited
-Oxford Properties
-Cadillac Fairview
-AeCon Group
-Woodbridge Company

Many large canadian corporations don't stand a chance in the international market.

Don't forget the world's largest gold mining company: Barrick Gold

Interesting to note Fairmont Raffles (Owners of such prestigious brands as Fairmont, Raffles, Swissotel) are HQed in Toronto and the Four Seasons Group. Arguably, these two are in the top 5 of luxury hotel chains on the planet.

Are you referring to downtown only. Most of the US companies Canadian headquarters are located in Mississauga, not MCC, rather the airport west node. More also in Marhkam (Hi-way / 404 area). I'm not referring to banks or anything financial though, rather everything else.
Though McDonalds / Home Depot / a couple more are around the Eglinton / 404 area.

For a Canadian city the GTA in general is home to many companies.

Don't forget the world's largest gold mining company: Barrick Gold

Interesting to note Fairmont Raffles (Owners of such prestigious brands as Fairmont, Raffles, Swissotel) are HQed in Toronto and the Four Seasons Group. Arguably, these two are in the top 5 of luxury hotel chains on the planet.

Four Seasons Group recently built (last 5 years or so I believe) their HQ around the Leslie / Eglinton area. I mini sort of campus like you see in the 905, it looks nice though.

IBM Canada is huge here as well, probably over 15K throughout the GTA, the majority are in Markham though with a huge corporate office @ Steeles / 404.
I believe it's actually one of the largest office buildings outside the core in the entire GTA!

Software companies tend to be in Markham, AMD (ATI in the past) has a huge software development campus, along with IBM, Oracle, Motorola, Platform computing, American Express, Cicso, Hummingbird, CGI is headqaurtered here as well. The list goes on ... hence my earlier statement of many american companies are headquartered in the 905.
I should mention that a lot of this is actually development i.e. it's not just a regional sales office that I'm sure these companies have in all cities.

Last edited:
From my understanding, around 35-40% of the top companies of Canada (whether it be the top 500, 1000, 1500, etc.) are located in the GTA. Not sure how many of these are based in the city of Toronto but I'm going to guess about 1/2 of those (so about 17-20% of the national total).

The city is home to most (if not all) of Canada's top banking, insurance, financial and investment firms, in addition to the accounting, law, consulting, advertising and marketing firms. A fair number of manufacturing-based HQs and consumer goods companies are located here (and are spread throughout the GTA).

High tech is largely in Markham and Missisauga has a lot of different industries' HQs as well.

If you exclude the Oil and Gas related HQs of Canada (which form over 20% of top companies in Canada and are mostly based in Calgary), you're left with about 75-80% of all remaining companies (at the national level), and 1/2 of them have their offices in the GTA.

Here's my rough guess: 35-40% of Canada's companies are headquartered in the GTA, 17% in Calgary, 15% in Montreal, 12% in Vancouver, and the balance in the rest of the nation. :)

Sorry for the long-winded answer but whatever... :)

Regards,

A resident of the Lumiere Residences on Bay

Mississauga has a lot of pharmaceutical companies (GSK, AstraZeneca) as well as banks (not HQs though: RBC, BMO) and some high-tech (Microsoft) and others (Wal-Mart).

From my understanding, around 35-40% of the top companies of Canada (whether it be the top 500, 1000, 1500, etc.) are located in the GTA. Not sure how many of these are based in the city of Toronto but I'm going to guess about 1/2 of those (so about 17-20% of the national total).

The city is home to most (if not all) of Canada's top banking, insurance, financial and investment firms, in addition to the accounting, law, consulting, advertising and marketing firms. A fair number of manufacturing-based HQs and consumer goods companies are located here (and are spread throughout the GTA).

High tech is largely in Markham and Missisauga has a lot of different industries' HQs as well.

If you exclude the Oil and Gas related HQs of Canada (which form over 20% of top companies in Canada and are mostly based in Calgary), you're left with about 75-80% of all remaining companies (at the national level), and 1/2 of them have their offices in the GTA.

Here's my rough guess: 35-40% of Canada's companies are headquartered in the GTA, 17% in Calgary, 15% in Montreal, 12% in Vancouver, and the balance in the rest of the nation. :)

Sorry for the long-winded answer but whatever... :)

Regards,

A resident of the Lumiere Residences on Bay

Thank You. Great Answer.

Well if you're looking for statistics of head office employment in Canada the following is a good read:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-624-m/11-624-m2006014-eng.pdf

Also, Montreal is still second in terms of head offices. However, it's been slipping every year and Calgary has been increasing. The big issue with Montreal will be "What happens when the PQ comes into power in 2012?"
Toronto gets more HQs and office towers!:D

Taal: About the Four Seasons campus; too bad they didn't go the way of Fairmont-Raffles and lease space in a downtown tower. FR is headquartered in the RBC Centre.

Well if you're looking for statistics of head office employment in Canada the following is a good read:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-624-m/11-624-m2006014-eng.pdf

Also, Montreal is still second in terms of head offices. However, it's been slipping every year and Calgary has been increasing. The big issue with Montreal will be "What happens when the PQ comes into power in 2012?"

Thanks again Thanos. Lots of info in this thread.

Well, considering that the general metropolitan areas of both cities are of around the same population, I'm not too surprised by the statistic. Many people usually forget that there are prosperous suburbs surrounding Detroit.

Back