News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 661     0 

Corktown District Condos (Streetcar) - Real Estate -

:p Gawd, I don't have a unit there, but if they stick a Coffee Time in there then I'm walking up to the 3rd story and requesting that you push me before you toss yourself! :)

Not sure about phase 1, but rumour (think I read it on this board) had it that Starbucks may move into phase 2. But who knows...

LOL, i think these are all rumors...looking at the boker website (and assuming it's up to date) all the units are still available.

Broker Website:

http://metcomrealty.uponline.com/cgi-bin/search?like1=Cat&like2=like&like3=COMMERCIAL_RETAIL

549 King Package:

http://metcomrealty.uponline.com/pdfs/549_King_St_E_-_Brokers__Retail__-_Nov._24-09.pdf

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Corktown so far. We take possession at 549 on the 18th, but our PDI has been pushed back to the 17th! I went by the building today and it looks as though they haven't even started drywalling on the 6th floor yet (which is where our unit is). I'm concerned about the potential quality of the unit if they're so rushed. Guess I'll find out next week.

We also received a newsletter from Streetcar the other day outlining all the elements which are not complete on the building: brickwork, garbage disposal, parking, locker, elevator. Is Streetcar giving people a discount on their occupancy fee until these things are fixed?

If any of you are interested, I recently started a Facebook group for the Corktown District, so all of us can compare notes about the development.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Corktown so far. We take possession at 549 on the 18th, but our PDI has been pushed back to the 17th! I went by the building today and it looks as though they haven't even started drywalling on the 6th floor yet (which is where our unit is). I'm concerned about the potential quality of the unit if they're so rushed. Guess I'll find out next week.

We also received a newsletter from Streetcar the other day outlining all the elements which are not complete on the building: brickwork, garbage disposal, parking, locker, elevator. Is Streetcar giving people a discount on their occupancy fee until these things are fixed?

If any of you are interested, I recently started a Facebook group for the Corktown District, so all of us can compare notes about the development.

Hey Jayzie, I was wandering around the 6th floor a couple days ago and you're right, there isn't much done up there. Mainly studs (including me) and insulation. Electrical and plumbing is in place. I've spoken with a few people in the building since there are only a few units in there and for the most part a lot of them are kind of unhappy with the "rushed" feel the units have which are evident during the PDI. The customer service team for Streetcar are second-to-none, however, so I'm confident that everything will get done during the 30 day.

Personally, I can't wait for the storage lockers to be completed. I have lots of stuff jammed into my unit.

I've heard that nearly the entire second floor has been purchased by investors.

Hey Jayzie, I was wandering around the 6th floor a couple days ago and you're right, there isn't much done up there. Mainly studs (including me) and insulation. Electrical and plumbing is in place. I've spoken with a few people in the building since there are only a few units in there and for the most part a lot of them are kind of unhappy with the "rushed" feel the units have which are evident during the PDI. The customer service team for Streetcar are second-to-none, however, so I'm confident that everything will get done during the 30 day.

Personally, I can't wait for the storage lockers to be completed. I have lots of stuff jammed into my unit.

I've heard that nearly the entire second floor has been purchased by investors.

Apholmes, any pictures of what the views look like? I have a friend on the 6th floor that just got delayed for a few weeks...

Any mods in this thread? Can someone PM me to change my username? Or is there some avenue I need to take to request this?

To answer your question, no, I have no pics of the 6th floor but I do have one from the roof.

IMG00291-20100806-2004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00291-20100806-2004.jpg
    IMG00291-20100806-2004.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 338
Let's talk polished concrete.

Is anyone checking this thread living in any of the corktown buildings yet? I'm a bit let down with my polished concrete flooring and I've heard a few other people are as well.

Would like to get their opinion.

I sent an Email to Streetcar customer service (which again, has been super helpful throughout this process)..

"..I understand that the imperfections in the concrete are what gives these floors their character and by no means was I expecting an epoxy-like floor, however, even with the floor cleaned of all dust and washed by hand with a mild dish detergent (and dried with cloth), it looks like the sealant or clear coat is missing in spots. blotchy. The floors shine to an extent but look like they are "smudgy", It's really evident during the day when the sun is hitting them."

Just wondered if anyone else was wondering this.

Agreed! I'm in 52 Sumach and have found the same thing re uneven sealant/polish/buffing - There are also very apparent marks/patterns left in a few spots where they buffed out a stain. I've commented on this to customer service and my 30-day but have yet to hear back.

I was wandering around the 6th floor a couple days ago and you're right, there isn't much done up there. Mainly studs (including me) and insulation. Electrical and plumbing is in place. I've spoken with a few people in the building since there are only a few units in there and for the most part a lot of them are kind of unhappy with the "rushed" feel the units have which are evident during the PDI. The customer service team for Streetcar are second-to-none, however, so I'm confident that everything will get done during the 30 day.

We just received notice today that our occupancy on a 6th floor unit has now been delayed to from August 18th to September 3rd (the third delay since we received our final occupancy notice). Streetcar's reasoning is that the structural roof detailing is taking longer than originally expected. I'm pretty sure they haven't even drywalled our unit yet much less installed the kitchen or bath. We've been offered some compensation for the delay, but I'm not particularly impressed.

I noted the same thing with my concrete floors at 569 King. I thought at first it was paint that had accidentally gotten on the floors along the edges and then buffed in - resulting in an uneven finish/appearance. I noted this on my 30-day form as well but have yet to hear anything back either. Also, chips and pebbles are a daily routine, as small bits of the floor keep coming up?! While the uneven finish is not the greatest, the biggest issue that was unexpected was the sound...I'm on the 5th floor and because there isn't any insulation between the floors, I can hear everything above me from walking, to chairs being moved, etc. Is anyone else experiencing noise issues?

I noted the same thing with my concrete floors at 569 King. I thought at first it was paint that had accidentally gotten on the floors along the edges and then buffed in - resulting in an uneven finish/appearance. I noted this on my 30-day form as well but have yet to hear anything back either. Also, chips and pebbles are a daily routine, as small bits of the floor keep coming up?! While the uneven finish is not the greatest, the biggest issue that was unexpected was the sound...I'm on the 5th floor and because there isn't any insulation between the floors, I can hear everything above me from walking, to chairs being moved, etc. Is anyone else experiencing noise issues?

Thing is, it's difficult to soundproof lofts without giving up that loft look (you'd have to cover the cement ceilings/walls with drywall). But you're going to have to get used to hearing your neighbours above you. Seems to be the norm with new condos even with drywalled ceilings and wood floors).

I personally do not like concrete floors, if I were you I would be happy to have a concrete floor ready to install a beautiful wood, porcelain or marble floor of my choice. I would not waste my time fighting with those developers

well...at least you still hear back from them.... i stopped getting responses to all my emails about a month ago (lack of consistent hot water and noise / thin walls are at the top of my list).....
and my i'd say 20% of my 30day list is complete...

does anyone know the process of deficiencies NOT on the 30 day list? As I've lived in the unit, I've noticed some other things I'm not happy about and emailed customer care - what are my options? I guess they're not OBLIGATED (by tarion) to address it in the 120 days, but I guess they'll have to assess if they really care that they have unsatisfied purchasers.... my conern is that they'll point the finger and say i caused these deficiencies when in fact there were there all along - i just missed them in the 30 days (as i was not moved in yet).....ie) scratches on stove top cover - dry wall irregularies - scratches on window frame)

I personally do not like concrete floors, if I were you I would be happy to have a concrete floor ready to install a beautiful wood, porcelain or marble floor of my choice. I would not waste my time fighting with those developers

i think the disappointment is when a builder promises to delivery something and fails to meet anyones expectations....
i mean...my expectations was to have cdn tire/home depot type floors....not some super shiny epoxy looking floors....and they still missed the boat....
for those feeling extremely frustrated....you could consult a lawyer...i've heard of some class action suits being successful..but no idea how 'bad' bad was....
as a point of reference.....the halls are 'bad' as you can tell they've never been polished or covered with a sealant.....from the units i've seen...you can tell the polisher and sealant were used.... but if you have stone pieces coming up......i'd be pretty upset too....

Back