News   Apr 15, 2024
 942     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 647     0 

Considering a small town to retire to in 2030-35. Recommendations?

Are there such places in downtown? You may have more luck in Midtown, I am eyeing the coming projects in the development pipeline over in Leaside though the costs are quite excessive for even Toronto standards.

I suppose you could look to places west, such as Port Credit, downtown Oakville, Bronte, downtown Burlington, or Aldershot. Perhaps the new Lakeview community under construction in Mississauga as well.

Depends upon one's definition of "downtown". Is "downtown" just the "old" city, very "old" city, or the "city" from when you were a kid?

Depends upon one's definition of "downtown". Is "downtown" just the "old" city, very "old" city, or the "city" from when you were a kid?
Most of my memories are in post-amalgamation Toronto. Downtown to me means south of Bloor, and from Bathurst to the Don River.

I code-switch if I am speaking with someone from the suburbs (inner or outer), and move the Bathurst boundary all the way west to High Park.

Most of my memories are in post-amalgamation Toronto. Downtown to me means south of Bloor, and from Bathurst to the Don River.

I code-switch if I am speaking with someone from the suburbs (inner or outer), and move the Bathurst boundary all the way west to High Park.

Garage visible in front? Suburb.

Garage not visible, because it might be in back or in a laneway? Downtown.

Downtown to me lines up with this....

20180427-toronto-neighbourhood-maps.jpg

Where in this area above can you buy a semi or row house for about $1 million that doesn’t have the issues I’ve described?

Where in this area above can you buy a semi or row house for about $1 million that doesn’t have the issues I’ve described?

I noticed "Yorkville" was included. "Yorkville" was founded in 1830 by a brewer, Joseph Bloore. It was incorporated as a village in 1853. and was annexed by the city of Toronto in 1883. For a "village", it certainly is a high-density neighbourhood these days. Maybe you'll enjoy the hippies that lived there in the 1960's. From link.

2016812-riverboat.jpg

20141215-Yorkville-Car-ed.jpg

The point is neighbourhoods tend to change over time. What a neighbourhood was during your childhood, could be completely different today. So beware, it could also change in the future.

You need to expand your downtown map. Brockton is a great choice.

Last edited:
North York City Center ? Downtown Markham ? MCC ? ... the requirements are a bit odd, most people with the small town desire what a quieter place, you didn't quite state that. If it's just to get away from downtown east (though I'm fairly optimistic for its longer term future to be honest), aren't there many other options in the 416 and 905 ?

Bracebridge is affordable until you get your hydro bill in the winter ;)

Natural gas is available in the townsite areas of Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and Huntsville. Outlying areas are likely a mix of electric, propane and oil for heating unless you are lucky enough to be on a feeder line.

Two weeks ago my friend and I did a 930 km two day ride to Gananoque, Kingston, Perth and Prince Edward County. We saw many cute medium and small towns with working main streets, including Warkworth and Wooler, plus the larger Napanee, Brighton, Port Hope, Wellington. Last weekend we rode to Erin and Alton. So cute homes in Alton.

Nice hiking in Uxbridge yesterday. Great late Sept weather, warm yet foggy, fantastic trails, see map. http://discoveruxbridge.ca/trail-overview-map-2/. We did the Glen Major Forest trail. Then a nice fish and chips and stout pint at http://www.hobbyhorsearms.com

C771AC9C-954B-4346-8871-2DC17866B22B.jpeg

4F4AE45F-A716-4D43-88F4-3032862DA8CA.jpeg

32D765FD-56AB-429A-B77F-5A8C1AA20CDA.jpeg

My teenage daughter has fallen for the town. Her immediate exclamation upon walking the main street shops was, “there’s no creepy old dudes or crazy people, let’s move here“.

Downtown_Uxbridge_DSC8966.jpg

As a tall, 40-something, able-bodied, sane, employed and somewhat well dressed and clean shaven white guy I sometimes forget her negative personal experiences in downtown east. I can definitely see my daughter abandoning the city for one of these smaller towns. Look at what $600k gets you in Scugog, https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22333701/1160-cragg-rd-scugog-rural-scugog

I told her that‘s good, now you need a plan to find employment you can do either from home or in the smaller towns, as you don’t want to be one of those poor bastards I see commuting down the 404 from above Newmarket and beyond.

Last edited:
^ Nice town and area. We lived near there for several years in the '80s - out in the country right on top of the moraine where we could see for miles. The only downside was we were on a main route and its gravel country. The townsite wasn't as built up as it is now; the retail area on the south didn't exist and the new subdivisions on the west side seem fairly generic. I still have friends in town and get down once or twice a year.

I have a former boomer coworker who sold his house in the east end and just retired in Peterborough. Originally, he wanted to retire in Guelph or Elora, but he said he got a much better bang for his buck east of the city.

Back