News   Mar 28, 2024
 271     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 250     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 288     0 

Considering a small town to retire to in 2030-35. Recommendations?

Finding a dwelling or community is always going to be trade-off. We each have our own wishlist (even within families - where I'd be happy living vs. the missus is somewhat different) and rarely does it get fully satisfied, and our priorities can change over time. Hopefully we've given the Admiral somethings to think about.

Yes, yes. I spent a few days in Thornbury during this past winter. Nice little place. On Lake Huron so it gets mad style points for that alone.

And, yo, there are three wineries in that area now!!! So more style points. If I was a wanker estate agent, I might say the area is up-and-coming even.

I just said that....I'm going to go shower the filth off now and wash my mouth out with soap.

But yeah, +1 for Thornbury.

Finding a dwelling or community is always going to be trade-off. We each have our own wishlist (even within families - where I'd be happy living vs. the missus is somewhat different) and rarely does it get fully satisfied, and our priorities can change over time.

Well, you've moved a lot over the years from what I gather. Was it mostly due to your previous job or are you guys like me: never satisfied?

Yes, yes. I spent a few days in Thornbury during this past winter. Nice little place. On Lake Huron so it gets mad style points for that alone.

And, yo, there are three wineries in that area now!!! So more style points. If I was a wanker estate agent, I might say the area is up-and-coming even.

I just said that....I'm going to go shower the filth off now and wash my mouth out with soap.

But yeah, +1 for Thornbury.
You mention the wineries and omit the brewery? :eek:

Yeah, spent an afternoon at the cidery-brewery as well, but cider is meh and their beer was meh but the local wine was quite decent. So there. :p

I had a nice tour of https://greyandgoldcider.com/. I usually don’t like cider, and detest its taking over the beer section in my local LCBO, but here I sit tonight drinking a cider from Grey and Gold.

Here‘s Meaford this afternoon.

1E0AB7DE-ECC2-4345-8799-A458326FCE77.jpeg

Well, you've moved a lot over the years from what I gather. Was it mostly due to your previous job or are you guys like me: never satisfied?

A bit of both. Six of nine were at the pleasure of the Crown (the first four I was single), the rest were personal. We've been in this place for ten years which is the longest I've lived in any one abode since I left home. It seems every now and again we worry that lawyers and real estate agents are starving. Our daughter is 3 hours away and if a grandkid happens I sense the missus will want to be closer.

I’m here in Thornbury and Meadord today, both nice towns.

My brother lives out-of-town Meaford. Both town seem nice - I get the sense Thornbury is pricier due to being closer to Collingwood/Blue Mountains. They are into the arts/community theatre/dining, etc. as well as kayaking and seem quite satisfied with the area. My only problem is I have to drive through Wasaga Beach to visit them.

Growing up I lived in so many houses, that since becoming a parent I’ve tried to make solid roots.

1971-76 - Lewisham, UK
1976-82 - House #1 Meadowvale, Mississauga
1982-86 - House #2 Meadowvale
1986-88 - House #3 Meadowvale
1988-96 - Beach(es), Toronto (Sept-May 1991-95 in Ottawa for uni)
1996-98 - Woodbine, north of Danforth, basement apartment (my first place)
1998-04 - Cabbagetown (married, bought my first house)
2004-07 - Fredericton, NB (Cabbagetown rented out)
2007---> - Cabbagetown (same house)

But my kids will be launching 2025-30 so I’ve been pondering a change. I think I’ve just grown tired of the decline of downtown Toronto, with the beggars walking up to my car, the encampments, addicts and mentally ill in the parks, the litter and graffiti, the shoddy and neglected infrastructure, the lack of enforcement of laws against public drunkenness and open drug use, and an overall sense that the city’s best days are behind it. This can’t be as good as it gets for me, I think to myself.... and maybe I want to live still in a dense area, but without all that baggage I list above. I know it’s a semi dictatorship, but I just fell in love with Singapore when I visited in 2018. But back to small towns with active main streets, I’m liking Thornbury.

Last edited:
A bit of both. Six of nine were at the pleasure of the Crown (the first four I was single), the rest were personal. We've been in this place for ten years which is the longest I've lived in any one abode since I left home.

Ten!!! My childhood home was lived in that long and I haven't stayed in the same place for more than 26 months since I moved out at 18...that was 17 years ago. Friggin hell, it's been crazy. I'm sick of moving.

It seems every now and again we worry that lawyers and real estate agents are starving.

hahha, I wouldn't worry about them, they'll be fine.

Our daughter is 3 hours away and if a grandkid happens I sense the missus will want to be closer.

I'd wager on that.

... and open drug use....

Guess we'll have to ban bar patios and cafes then eh? ;) Bring it all inside. Sir, go drink your pint in the cellar so no one sees you getting high! You're a detriment to the moral fabric of society! Go get caffeinated in your own home, the fine folks of the city have no time for your caffeine jitters! Begone you failed human! You degenerate addict!

Yeah, I'm kinda over Toronto as well, but for different reasons. :D

Growing up I lived in so many houses, that since becoming a parent I’ve tried to make solid roots.

1971-76 - Lewisham, UK
1976-82 - House #1 Meadowvale, Mississauga
1982-86 - House #2 Meadowvale
1986-88 - House #3 Meadowvale
1988-96 - Beach(es), Toronto (Sept-May 1991-95 in Ottawa for uni)
1996-98 - Woodbine, north of Danforth, basement apartment (my first place)
1998-04 - Cabbagetown (married, bought my first house)
2004-07 - Fredericton, NB (Cabbagetown rented out)
2007---> - Cabbagetown (same house)

But my kids will be launching 2025-30 so I’ve been pondering a change. I think I’ve just grown tired of the decline of downtown Toronto, with the beggars walking up to my car, the encampments, addicts and mentally ill in the parks, the litter and graffiti, the shoddy and neglected infrastructure, the lack of enforcement of laws against public drunkenness and open drug use, and an overall sense that the city’s best days are behind it. This can’t be as good as it gets for me, I think to myself.... and maybe I want to live still in a dense area, but without all that baggage I list above. I know it’s a semi dictatorship, but I just fell in love with Singapore when I visited in 2018. But back to small towns with active main streets, I’m liking Thornbury.

Why not just move to another part of downtown that doesn't have such a high concentration of shelters/rehab centres/injection sites/etc?

Why not just move to another part of downtown that doesn't have such a high concentration of shelters/rehab centres/injection sites/etc?
Are there such places in downtown? You may have more luck in Midtown, I am eyeing the coming projects in the development pipeline over in Leaside though the costs are quite excessive for even Toronto standards.

I suppose you could look to places west, such as Port Credit, downtown Oakville, Bronte, downtown Burlington, or Aldershot. Perhaps the new Lakeview community under construction in Mississauga as well.

Back