News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 607     0 

Conservative Attack Ads

confusion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone else think it is pretty lame that Harper displays an internet attack ad in a television attack ad as one of the key points of your attack ad?

Is his audience really dumb? Do regular people watch this and actually feel inspired to vote for this guy?

Or is he just trying to frustrate voters with politics in the news hoping they tune out and not vote.

I think this is the lowest the Conservatives have sunk to date, and that includes proroguing parliament to keep power.

In my opinion Harper is falling and shooting randomly in the air out of desparation, OR the world is actually full of stupid people.

I can't imagine the ad getting any traction. Saying "in it for himself" probably describes the opinion people have of almost all politicians, certainly not excluding Harper. I loved Ignatieff's response to reporters yesterday when asked about it. Harper is definitely going to have a much harder time winning against him.

The Conservatives describe the practice as state-of-the-art politicking. A party spokesman said the practice offers enhanced transparency, and is used elsewhere in the world.

I would really like to understand their take on the meaning of "transparency". How is it transparent to have people pretend to be speaking their own mind but really be regurgitating a message? Reminds me of the tactics cigarette and chemical companies use to convince people things aren't bad for your health.

I would like to see an ad with a bunch of blue eyed stoic automatons walking around saying "Harper is great. Ignatieff is a loser." That would be transparency.

The ads are having no big effect.

The Dion ads were far more successful.

These ads are idiotic. And as long as they are on youtube it's only other conservatives who will see them. What's the point?

And I have always thought that Canadians in general don't really like attack ads. So it would seem counter-intuitive to me to run these.

Truth just causes problems. It forces you to be rational. Avoid it at all costs if you want to continue living in your dreamworld, or keep the cattle and sheep compliant.
The attack ads worked to convince Canadians that Dion was weak. He isn't.

Yeah, I saw them on TV last night--pretty harsh and repetitive. They even mentioned having some anti-Ignatieff website setup up though I can't remember the name of it and that's probably a good thing. He'll definitely find it harder to make this crap stick with Ignatieff than it did with Dion.

I imagine the legions of CPC supporters are fanning across the country with their scripted talking points right now...

Don't blame me: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080325.wtorytalk0325/BNStory/National/home

Whoah!!! I know that is from 2008, but that is still fairly recent. I have never heard of this before. I'm shocked that a political party needs to resort to something like that. To me it seems like you are trying to persuade the mass to believe what you believe. That is not a democracy!

Does anyone know if Conservatives are still doing this?

Of course they are. Go to their website. I think the section is called My Campaign. You put in your address and then they give you a list of all the newspapers and radio call-in shows in your area. Then, you're given a window to type up a letter to the editor and automatically send it to your local newspaper. Right next to it, there's a helpful list of talking points to include so that you can be sure to stay right on message. Another section gives you a schedule of all the call-in shows and a script to use when calling.

They even have a feature where you can give them your name and address and have them automatically send letters like this to Stephen Harper to tell you how much you support him. Example (they don't seem to have updated them in a while...):

In times of global economic uncertainty, Canadians want to know that there is a steady hand to guide us through these difficult times. Under Stephen Harper and the Conservatives, Canada’s economic fundamentals are strong and we will weather the economic storm.

Like many Liberal candidates and supporters, I also believe that now is not the time for risky changes to our tax system. Stéphane Dion’s carbon tax would have devastating effects on the personal finances of every Canadian family.

I continue to support Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party’s steady hand on the wheel as we move forward. Keeping the economy strong with modest tax cuts we can afford while paying down the national debt is the right approach to keep Canada strong on the world stage.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Last edited:
Meh, I don't think its really going to work. Dion was easy to label as an egghead. And it didn't help that he essentially put out an environmental platform as the economy was tanking. I doubt Iggy is going to make those kinds of mistakes.

Back