1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 554     0 

Congestion Charge?

D

Degnaw

Article

Planner mulls tax on drivers
Congestion fees could help fund public transit, says transportation authority head
January 27, 2007
Jim Byers
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

The head of the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority isn't ruling out a congestion tax to help fund public transit.

It could form one part of the plan Rob MacIsaac hopes to unveil by year's end as his group's grand vision for transportation in the GTA.

"I think there are opportunities for new things that haven't been thought of before, but I think 90 per cent of what we need has already been thought of and it's out there and we just need to ... assemble it."

Among the other ideas discussed have been road tolls and parking lot surcharges.

Congestion fees have been hugely controversial in London, where drivers are charged about $20 once they cross into a certain zone in the city. Supporters say it has worked to cut traffic and boost transit.

MacIsaac said he's spoken with Mayor David Miller and others about congestion taxes and a host of other ideas. But he doesn't want to spend years analyzing potential solutions to the GTA's transportation mess. There's just no time.

Speaking at a three-hour transportation summit in Toronto yesterday, MacIsaac said the region that stretches from Hamilton to Durham is expected to add another 3 million residents in the next 25 years and creative solutions are needed. "Within a year we'll have a plan that recommends some funding mechanisms," MacIsaac told reporters after his speech. "It may or may not include those kinds of measures."

One certainty is that improvements will cost billions, he said. "Many billions, probably. But it's not as expensive as not making the investment."

MacIsaac warned summit attendees that adding 3 million residents between now and 2031 could mean 1.5 million more cars in an area already choked with gridlock.

"That could mean a 45 per cent increase in average commute times. Our economy would be shackled. We'd have reduced productivity. Our greenhouse gas emissions would increase. If we continue with business as usual it would lead to perhaps a 42 per cent increase in auto emissions.

"We simply can't have that," he said. "It's unacceptable."

MacIsaac said the GTTA was created to implement the province's planning program, which is aimed at curbing urban sprawl and protecting the southern Ontario greenbelt. Those goals can only be accomplished with a first-class transportation system, he said.

"The GTTA is not about forcing people out of their cars," he said. "It's about making transit competitive with the automobile. Because if it's convenient enough and comfortable enough and fast enough, people will choose it over cars."

MacIsaac said the GTA can either continue as it's going or take bold action and compete with the best cities in the world.

"I think it's clear which way we have to go, but we have an awful lot of catching up to do. Because, pure and simple, we've underfunded transportation infrastructure in the GTTA region for decades."

Infrastructure Ontario President and CEO David Livingston said the private sector can help.

"There are a huge number of players interested in participating in the kinds of public infrastructure plans we have," he said. "The market is awash in capital. We have lots of contractors that want to participate.

"We can harness that to our advantage because the essence of getting good prices is to create as much competition as possible," Livingston said.

Toronto Transit Commission Chair Adam Giambrone said he'd love to see new subway lines built but that light-rail transit lines like the Scarborough and Spadina LRTs can move a lot of people for far less money. Miller has said he wants to see new transit lines all over the city, including Eglinton Ave. in the west end, Kingston Rd., Don Mills Rd. and a line that would connect north Etobicoke and north Scarborough to the subway.

One speaker at the summit said he heard a lot about transit but not much about needed roads. Transportation officials said there will be new roads built in the GTA and Hamilton area, but that transit plans are for the future.

"Our priority in the city is public transit," Giambrone said. "Our official plan ... (has) no plans for ... any road construction outside of local roads, in the next 30 years."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Article

Consider downtown tolls, transit czar says
Chair of transportation authority, mayor disagree on congestion charge
JEFF GRAY

A London-style congestion charge, which would see drivers headed downtown pay tolls, is one of the ideas on the table for greater Toronto, the province's new regional transportation czar says.

Rob MacIsaac, the chairman of the newly created Greater Toronto Transportation Authority, said yesterday that a congestion charge is among the ideas that will be considered as his group drafts a new transportation plan for the region over the next year.

Mr. MacIsaac is the most senior public figure in Ontario to suggest publicly that such charges on drivers are an option.

"London has a congestion pricing system that is reporting great success," he told an audience at a downtown hotel. "You want to bring your car downtown, you pay for the privilege. Will we be discussing that? Absolutely. We'd be foolish not to look at it."

Mr. MacIsaac, the former mayor of Burlington, made the remarks at an event sponsored by former Toronto mayor David Crombie's Canadian Urban Institute, saying he is determined to consider unorthodox solutions to the GTA's traffic problems, set to worsen as millions more move here over the coming decades.

Mayor David Miller, who will sit on the GTTA board, was quick to dampen any talk about a congestion charge.

"The decision whether to have those kinds of charges inside Toronto would be the City of Toronto's alone," Mr. Miller said. "And that's not the approach we're taking."

But the mayor said he supports an open-minded approach, and said the GTTA could at least study the feasibility of region-wide road pricing schemes, such implementing tolls on the Queen Elizabeth Way or 400-series highways, for example. But a London-style fee for drivers is not on the agenda, he said.

"You just can't compare London to Toronto. Toronto's a new city built on a grid system. London's an ancient city," Mr. Miller said.

After his speech, Mr. MacIsaac told reporters that all ideas, from cities around the world, should be considered. "My view is we need to look at everything."

He said the gridlock-fighting plan that he hopes his board, made up of municipal appointees from the GTA, will deliver to the provincial government will recommend "funding mechanisms" but could also include other measures, such as congestion charges.

Ontario's Minister of Transportation, Donna Cansfield, introduced Mr. MacIsaac at yesterday's event. Afterward, she told reporters he was right to have an open mind.

"He should be looking at everything," Ms. Cansfield said. "It will be the board's responsibility to look at all the ideas that come forward."

In 2003, London Mayor Ken Livingstone brought in an £8 ($18) "congestion charge" for motorists entering the centre of the British capital in an effort to clear up paralyzing traffic jams.

The government credits the move with reducing congestion by 30 per cent, and the revenue collected is being put into public transit, funding hundreds of new buses. Cities across Europe are considering similar measures.

In his speech, Mr. MacIsaac warned that failing to deal with traffic problems could harm economic growth in the region, and that the solutions could cost "many billions."

Other ideas on the table, he said, include aggressive subway expansion. As an example, he pointed to Madrid, which has added more kilometres of subway in the past 10 years than the total of Toronto entire existing system. Mr. MacIsaac said later that he supports Toronto's plans to expand its light-rail network.

----------------------------------------

study the feasibility of region-wide road pricing schemes, such implementing tolls on the Queen Elizabeth Way or 400-series highways,
*agrees*

Would such tolls start upon the entry to the highways in question, or should there be a toll perimeter around a specific region?

the regional tolls idea (which i liked better) put tolls on the entries of the highways in question, but the congestion charge idea proposed by the GTTA dude set up a perimeter of tolls.

the regional tolls idea (which i liked better) put tolls on the entries of the highways in question, but the congestion charge idea proposed by the GTTA dude set up a perimeter of tolls.

Sorry, I realized that. My question was supposed to be about which of the two made better sense if one is to be put in place. I think that putting both in place would be too much and begin to look punative.

*completely against it*

I can somewhat sympathize with your sentiments, but tolls are actually not a new thing. I see nothing wrong with them in principle, but they can be poorly executed.

As long as the tolls are like the US i'm for it. However, if it's all electronic like 407, I'm not. I don't like the fact I need a device in my car to drive on a highway, and if I use the highway I pay a crazy fee without the device. I've been to many US cities and the "coin" tolls work great, and there's not much of a slow down, quite minimum I found at peak times if any.

This will make a lot of people unhappy at the beginning, but the highways are becoming a nightmare already, if this will make people use the highways less (and transit more or other roads), then the highways will be a bit unclogged, and our economy will run a bit better.

I guess we'll see what happens, but I support the QEW/400 toll system, but not the downtown charge. That'll lead to less people downtown. Btw, the charge should only be set during peak hours when traffic is mad.. lol

I would insist on electronic tolls. As far as steep penalties go for not having a transponder... just make the penalty smaller. Let's say you pay double the transponder rate for using the highway. You can choose not to get a transponder if you seldom use a highway, but it would be worth it if you use it somewhat frequently.

^This would be more of a typical toll rather than a congestion charge. With respect to this, I am not against a well-managed, reasonably-priced toll system on all 400-series highways. Funds raised from such tolls would go into highway maintenance, allowing for a diversion of moneys from general revenue to go towards transit.

However, I am curious to see how congestion charges could be put into place without bringing about unintended damage to the downtown economy. There is always a risk that such an effort may actually result in people staying away. At the same time, traffic gridlock will eventually do exactly the same thing.

However, I am curious to see how congestion charges could be put into place without bringing about unintended damage to the downtown economy.

Straight forward really, cover every major (4-lane or more) street in the GTA which is at 80% capacity. Some of the most congested roads are actually in the suburbs.

Charge $10 for a 24 hour period of driving ($8 for a day-pass on public transit) anywhere within the GTA. Distribute the funds to the cities where the vehicle was seen so that Mississauga drivers fund Mississauga.

Spend the money on 1) road and bridge maintenance backlog, and 2) public transit capital, and 3) police/ambulance/fire services for dealing with accidents and enforcement.

I do not think that the congestion charge funds should cover public transit operations directly but I would take the savings from police/ambulance/fire operations and put that money into public transit operations.

Congestion charges taking over 1) road and bridge maintenance should result in a slight property tax decrease.

"Distribute the funds to the cities where the vehicle was seen so that Mississauga drivers fund Mississauga."

You mean drivers who live in Mississauga would only pay for the use of Mississauga roads? Seems like a silly solution to me.

Better to have the GTTA take over 400 series highways in the GTA, as well as all the toll revenue.

You mean drivers who live in Mississauga would only pay for the use of Mississauga roads?

No, drivers who drive in Mississauga would pay for Mississauga roads. Drivers who drive in Toronto would pay for Toronto roads.

Drivers who drive in both (say live in one and work in the other) would have their $10 daily fee split between the two municipalities.

If it's a congestion charge similar to London's then this should be trivial to do as most major streets would have traffic monitored as we would know which areas of the GTA the vehicle used on that day.

I am against any congestion/toll charge on downtown streets at this time. First they should be investing in the transit system in Toronto, and only once a more robust transit system has been created would I support such a charge. Even after a charge were created, I would prefer it be applied in a discriminary basis (taxis, deliver trucks, and other business related transportation should be exempt). Adding more costs to doing business downtown will only drive business out of the downtown.

Agree

I agree...we should be building up the core (i.e. Toronto) first with increasing population densities and then when that's full (in 50 years!), we can think of expanding further outward...

...leapfrog development led to much of our transportation problems in the first place and leapfrog transit planning (or catering to low density) is only going to encourage more suburbanization...

Focus on increasing public transit where there is adequate support for it (in terms of #'s of people). For areas that don't yet have the support, build subway lines (in stages) in these 'core' areas, focus growth on these areas (like along Eglington, Sheppard (since it's already built), Queen East/Cherry Street) to provide the support needed to pay for the subway.

Send a message to Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Marhham, and Pickering...if you want the subway to extend out further to you, build up your areas to have the population to support the expansion and make it pedestrian friendly...then you'll get a subway stop.

Re: Agree

Or elect a high ranking minister as your MPP, best if he was a finance minister or a Premier or even better, finance minister who for all intents and purposes is the Cheneyesque real premier.

Even better if he's gotta bring in all the pork he can get to keep his seat, and who has to dispatch his most likely rival to head the provincial police force.

It gets even better when that elected minister has his and/or his family's hands in local land holdings that would benefit from said subway.

You listening Misissauga?

"Straight forward really, cover every major (4-lane or more) street in the GTA which is at 80% capacity."

I'm not that familiar with how tolls would be implemented: cover them how? What if someone lives on one? Toll booths or electronic checkpoints can't be put anywhere that someone would be able to go around them. Along those lines, we can't put tolls on highways like the QEW or the DVP and then do nothing else...there's no empty transit lines waiting to handle them and the arterial grid is limited enough in some places that there's few alternate routes. The tolls may work in London, but London has a bajillion subway lines. We'd need the infrastructure first - tolls don't provide upfront capital.

Covering the eastern half of downtown with a zone boundary would be easy, but in the western half it'd be hard or impossible to make it fair.

Back