News   Apr 18, 2024
 500     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Confusing highway exit signs

West End Boy

Member Bio
Reaction score
The following signage is commonly used at 400 series highway exits to let drivers know which lane they should be in, and the sign seems to indicate that the FARTHEST right lane is exit only, and the next lane over is both exit and straight ahead.
1630198673116.png

But I've noticed that the same sign is also often used BEFORE the exit lane even begins. This can be very confusing as it seems to indicate the right lane where the sign is placed is exit only, and I have witnessed drivers suddenly change lanes because they believe the right lane is for exiting only, when in fact the exit only right lane has not yet appeared.

Does anyone know what the thinking is behind these signage decisions? And who best to contact about this?

It seems to me that the logical thing would be to have two different types of signs, and that the one above should only be used AFTER the exit only right lane has actually started. Prior to that, a sign with arrows like in the one below should be placed BEFORE the exit lane begins, to more accurately reflect the situation. I believe the idea is to give drivers a heads up about something that is coming up.

1630198743396.png

I know most drivers just adapt and figure it out, but to me this remains a confusing aspect of our highways that can create unnecessary confusion.

Thoughts?

The following signage is commonly used at 400 series highway exits to let drivers know which lane they should be in, and the sign seems to indicate that the FARTHEST right lane is exit only, and the next lane over is both exit and straight ahead.
View attachment 344702
But I've noticed that the same sign is also often used BEFORE the exit lane even begins. This can be very confusing as it seems to indicate the right lane where the sign is placed is exit only, and I have witnessed drivers suddenly change lanes because they believe the right lane is for exiting only, when in fact the exit only right lane has not yet appeared.

Does anyone know what the thinking is behind these signage decisions? And who best to contact about this?

It seems to me that the logical thing would be to have two different types of signs, and that the one above should only be used AFTER the exit only right lane has actually started. Prior to that, a sign with arrows like in the one below should be placed BEFORE the exit lane begins, to more accurately reflect the situation. I believe the idea is to give drivers a heads up about something that is coming up.

View attachment 344703

I know most drivers just adapt and figure it out, but to me this remains a confusing aspect of our highways that can create unnecessary confusion.

Thoughts?
There is a way to tell.

On the overhead upcoming exit signs, the yellow exit marker will appear under the right arrow if the lane is an existing lane that is terminating.

Here's an example where its a new lane that appears:

For major sections where lanes end, they will explicitly draw several times on the asphalt clearly demarking that "yes this lane is closing, please merge elsewhere":

There is a way to tell.

On the overhead upcoming exit signs, the yellow exit marker will appear under the right arrow if the lane is an existing lane that is terminating.

Here's an example where its a new lane that appears:

For major sections where lanes end, they will explicitly draw several times on the asphalt clearly demarking that "yes this lane is closing, please merge elsewhere":

Interesting. So if I am understanding you, the amber signs on the right of the road can be read in conjunction with the overhead signs, which will have an additional "Exit" amber marking if the exit-only lane has already started.

I will keep an eye out for this, as well as the pavement markings, over the next while to see how it plays out in various highways.

Thanks for the reply!

I totally agree with the first post..

Also, I never did get the logic of this lane ends sign.
If the back line represent the lanes, then what does this sign mean? What are the dotted lines for? The lane or the lines on the road?
884D2C03-C119-4DD4-AECB-E0A6F3380586.jpeg

Wouldn’t something like this sign be more logical? Maybe show a thinner width lane once merged into a single lane.

B85CB094-B337-4579-8AF4-9598EBCA8748.jpeg

Last edited:

If the back line represent the lanes, then what does this sign mean? What are the dotted lines for? The lane or the lines on the road?
View attachment 344706
Wouldn’t something like this sign be more logical? Maybe show a thinner width lane once merged into a single lane.

View attachment 344707

True, there isn't consistency between the various signs in terms of how lanes are shown.

The black lines represent the road edges, for example road narrows, right lane ends, and road narrows briefly (normally a bridge or culvert). Typically the first and last signs are seen on secondary roads, often those that don't even have lines on the middle of the road, and if they did they would be ending at these signs.

Signs.png

I agree that the overhead exit signs have the visual indicator that a lane that has existed for some distance is exiting using a yellow exit box under those specific lanes. However, I preferred the old style signage that had arrows pointing down to the lanes of traffic which were applicable to each part of the sign.

Last edited:
Interesting. So if I am understanding you, the amber signs on the right of the road can be read in conjunction with the overhead signs, which will have an additional "Exit" amber marking if the exit-only lane has already started.

I will keep an eye out for this, as well as the pavement markings, over the next while to see how it plays out in various highways.

Thanks for the reply!
In general you should just worry about the overhead signs, the signs on the right are only there in case the overhead gets blocked by a truck or something.

View attachment 344702

View attachment 344703

Thoughts?
I think I get what you are saying; that the sign suggests the fate of the lanes as they exist at the point of the sign, but then a new right-hand exit lane appears up the road, which changes the equation. I can't say I've noticed it but, like you say, probably just figure it out. The problem with you suggested second sign is seems to convey that a new through lane is coming up rather than an exit lane (perhaps bend the right-most arrow).

I'm not convinced sign proliferation is always the answer. Ideally, the sign - overhead or roadside - should convey routing for lanes as they exist at that point, but I do see a need for advance signs. The problem with high-speed highways in dense areas like the GTA where exits are close-packed, advance signs and 'current situation' signs can overlap.

I think I get what you are saying; that the sign suggests the fate of the lanes as they exist at the point of the sign, but then a new right-hand exit lane appears up the road, which changes the equation. I can't say I've noticed it but, like you say, probably just figure it out. The problem with you suggested second sign is seems to convey that a new through lane is coming up rather than an exit lane (perhaps bend the right-most arrow).

I'm not convinced sign proliferation is always the answer. Ideally, the sign - overhead or roadside - should convey routing for lanes as they exist at that point, but I do see a need for advance signs. The problem with high-speed highways in dense areas like the GTA where exits are close-packed, advance signs and 'current situation' signs can overlap.

Yes, good point about the second sign I posted. It should have the right arrow bent more to show that the right lane is exiting.

I suspect the signage has evolved over time so it isn't always logical.

Thoughts?
Maybe Canada needs to join the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals :p

Wikipedia has some very interesting tables comparing all the different signs used by differing countries e.g. Comparison of traffic signs in English-speaking countries

Don't exit-only lanes also have a double wide white line separating it from the through lane?

I can't say I've ever noticed that. A long, tapering painted 'bullnose' may appear as a double solid towards the point. I have seen a single solid as well as a solid/dashed where there are two exit lanes, I suppose trying to discourage late stage lane changing. It's all only advisory - lane markings alone have no force in law in Ontario.

Yes iirc a double wide line on your left indicates that the lane is exiting.

There is supposed to be some system for the signs, a few that come to mind are the exit signs that are supposed to show the actual number of lanes and which lane is going where, the arrows at the bottom of the signs are supposed to point to the actual lane. Unfortunately I think, in the GTA at least, with all the expansions and lane additions some of the road geometries no longer line up with the signs or the signs are not replaced.

Yes iirc a double wide line on your left indicates that the lane is exiting.

There is supposed to be some system for the signs, a few that come to mind are the exit signs that are supposed to show the actual number of lanes and which lane is going where, the arrows at the bottom of the signs are supposed to point to the actual lane. Unfortunately I think, in the GTA at least, with all the expansions and lane additions some of the road geometries no longer line up with the signs or the signs are not replaced.

You're right. I mistakenly read the first reference as a 'double line', rather a double wide line. They are covered in the Ontario Traffic Manual (Book 11 - 'Pavement, Hazard and Delineation Markings') and are used "for emphasis in areas where standard markings are inadequate, such as at merging and diverging areas". The standard is 20cm vs.10 cm for standard lines.

A decade back they didn’t even paint arrows on the road indicating this lane would exit in trouble spots. Things have improved since then.

Back