News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 619     0 

Condo rules guide

Flux Capacitor

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was an official Condo Rules and Regulations rule book that you know of.

I own a condo, which i rent out. But the Condo board wants to deactivate my electronic keys because I'm not a resident in the building. I want to know what rights I have as an owner.

Is there any sort of an official rule book/guide or resource you can think of?

Many Thanks!

A Condominium is governed by FOUR important documents. The Condominium Act (linked to by dt-toronto-geek above), the Corporation's Declaration, the Corporation's Bylaws and the Corporation's Rules. Though the Declaration, By-Laws and Rules are specific to each Corporation they obviously have similar clauses and none of them can contradict the Act. Also the By-Laws can't contradict the Declaration and the Rules cannot contradict the Declaration or the Bylaws.

The Corporation can certainly have a Rule that restricts an owner who rents out their Unit(s) from using the common elements (except to inspect his/her own Unit). In my opinion this is quite reasonable; you either live there and can use all common facilities or you don't and then you can't. In my Condo this Rule reads:

"No owner (hereinafter referred to as an absentee owner) of a dwelling unit who has leased, rented out, or licensed such unit to an entity or person or persons who is or are in residence in such dwelling unit shall be permitted to use directly or indirectly, by way of guest use or otherwise, any common element area or any amenity or amenity area in any of the common element areas of the property including, and without limiting the generality of the foregoing swimming pool, lounge, exercise room, squash court, saunas, change rooms, lockers, washroom and laundry room areas.

Such absentee owner shall, however, be permitted entry to the common element areas of the property for the purposes of attendance at members’ meetings or in order to attend at the dwelling unit itself in order to deal with the occupant or the dwelling unit in matters concerning the tenancy or occupancy of the dwelling unit.
"

I think something like this is quite common but the bottom line is that you cannot be denied access to your Unit (though I suppose that if you have a 24/7 Security desk you could be forced to obtain access to the Building through them.

Advice: Look at your own Rules and talk to the Property Manager.

I was wondering if there was an official Condo Rules and Regulations rule book that you know of.

I own a condo, which i rent out. But the Condo board wants to deactivate my electronic keys because I'm not a resident in the building. I want to know what rights I have as an owner.

Is there any sort of an official rule book/guide or resource you can think of?

Many Thanks!

Can you get a neighbour to request an extra copy?

Back