News   Apr 25, 2024
 164     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Condo Boards & Reserve Funds: Perils Lurk in Older Condos

Even if it takes four pages to finally spew forth the truth. ;)

If you actually want help solving your problems a great place to start is people to deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis. Developers, property managers, etc. are good places to get advice.

Frankly, "investor" probably has exactly the knowledge you need - the list of people you need to get into contact with and steps required to determine the extent of, and rectify, the problems.

I took an experience condo salesperson with me for my first PDI and they caught a large number of things that I never would have thought of looking for. The fact I got my Tarion book, with instructions of what to look for, after doing the inspection was a great reason to have the expert on hand. Expert advice isn't always good advice but sometimes it can be very helpful.

If you actually want help solving your problems a great place to start is people to deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis. Developers, property managers, etc. are good places to get advice.

Sorry to interject rbt, but you're advocating blind trust. And you're deeming anonymous forum posters to be experts in whatever given field (over and above other posters/readers). I myself deal with insurance companies every day. The amazing observation? It's a sick cult. You should watch Sicko to somewhat understand. The adjusters are brainwashed into believing that they can do no wrong and that their opinions and decisions are always 100% correct. I can sit here with a legislated 'rulebook' in my hand and only wonder if the person on the other end of the line was ever asked to read it. I'm sure the developer clique is just as delusional when it comes to their own superior knowledge.

Here's a test... Have BuildTO comment on my MILLION PLUS Jenkins case (that I'll guess he already knew the outcome of - sure there's still a chance that it might not be the one he was referring to - but he won't tell me!)... and have Investor send his business card info to I-Z1 privately. That way some more 'trust' and value can be attached to UTF freebie 'advice'.

Sorry to interject rbt, but you're advocating blind trust. And you're deeming anonymous forum posters to be experts in whatever given field (over and above other posters/readers). I myself deal with insurance companies every day. The amazing observation? It's a sick cult. You should watch Sicko to somewhat understand. The adjusters are brainwashed into believing that they can do no wrong and that their opinions and decisions are always 100% correct. I can sit here with a legislated 'rulebook' in my hand and only wonder if the person on the other end of the line was ever asked to read it. I'm sure the developer clique is just as delusional when it comes to their own superior knowledge.

Here's a test... Have BuildTO comment on my MILLION PLUS Jenkins case (that I'll guess he already knew the outcome of - sure there's still a chance that it might not be the one he was referring to - but he won't tell me!)... and have Investor send his business card info to I-Z1 privately. That way some more 'trust' and value can be attached to UTF freebie 'advice'.

This place is appealing because of the anonymous nature of the posts. So I'm a 'developer'. You have no idea who I am and I like it that way.

This place is appealing because of the anonymous nature of the posts. So I'm a 'developer'. You have no idea who I am and I like it that way.

I've spent enough years online discussing things with people that I've never met. The only way you ever learn anything about the 'real' people behind the words and their motivation is by meeting and challenging their ideas head on. The odd kernel of truth slips out sometimes. Silence also speaks volumes as well. I wasn't suggesting you trade personal info with Investor about your situation. Just teasing that if Investor believes he knows best, he could put his name and number to it (who knows, he might be involved with the same developer). He only admitted the 'developer' part because of that throbbing vein on his forehead coupled with a bruised ego, anyway. I don't think either of those 'challenges' that I mused about stand a chance. It's just so much easier playing anonymous computer chair quarterback... spoutin' off about spelling, grammar, dicktion and the proper 'procedures' for filing complaints that the city and developers could give two shits about. The system is built to muzzle you and protect 'them'. The internet doesn't conform to that setup as well as they'd like.

In the meantime I am curious as to which developer contributed to you condo problems... that's my nature. Asking questions. Maybe one day you'll publicly write about the whole experience and really frighten those beholden to the almighty can-do-no-wrong developers. I mean if that earlier article Walt posted wasn't connected to your situation. That story was really messed. :)

My apologies to both Investor and I-Z1. I did a quick quote/respond without realizing who I was directing it at. I guess it's missing an intro line which totally confuses the post. My response is directed at I-Z1 .

Sorry to interject rbt, but you're advocating blind trust. And you're deeming anonymous forum posters to be experts in whatever given field (over and above other posters/readers).

There are a number of real-estate experts on this board in various modes. Whether investor is one or not doesn't really matter. A kind, courteous manner toward all advice (good and bad) may lead somewhere useful.

I never advocate blind trust. I do advocate putting all advice given into a pot, shake it a bit over a trash bin, and keep the good parts that stick. Taking advice, then saying "thanks", is very different from considering it and following it.
certainly won't step forward at this point.

Battling in forums certainly won't solve the problem and spooking away lurkers who may have good resources (pro-bono real-estate lawyer or a lawyer who may be interested in a class-action against the developer/city) is actually a step backward.

I'm not sure why you've got the impression that I haven't spoken to any of these peoipole, for the past 5 years?

He may have, unfortunately, without knowing the details, Investor basically blamed me for the problem, not believing that the city or a developer could actually do anything wrong.

I believe you have spoken to many people in the past 5 years but those were obviously the wrong people.

I would have been tempted to ask investor about his credentials in private message then invite him over for coffee. I am very doubtful it will solve your problem but it sounds like you need some new ideas on the approach to take; or at very least an idea on how to get out of the place without taking a huge hit.

If the condo corporation is found to be responsible and the issues are as severe as you believe, then you can count on getting a few special assessments in the tens of thousands of dollars. Reserve funds in the last 5 years will not cover major infrastructure changes.

I believe you have spoken to many people in the past 5 years but those were obviously the wrong people.

I see, so the cheif building inspector for East York, was the wrong person to speak to about bulding inspections? The fire marshall, also the wrong person?
Who do suggest I speak to?

Reserve funds in the last 5 years will not cover major infrastructure changes.

Maybe not, but class action law suites against the city for their poor inspection, and the developer for their fraudulent activity might.

I would have been tempted to ask investor about his credentials in private message then invite him over for coffee.

Why, he seemed to have made it clear that he's an investor...no help to me.
When he finally admitted to being a developer, he became rude and unhelpful...as expected from a developer.

I don't want info. I cannot help you.

OK, then why do you keep asking for more info in your posts?

Again, I'm sorry to have offended the building inspectors and 'angel like' developers in this forum...perhaps if they were honest with their intentions, arguements wouldn't break out like this.

I see, so the cheif building inspector for East York, was the wrong person to speak to about bulding inspections? The fire marshall, also the wrong person?

Maybe not, but class action law suites against the city for their poor inspection, and the developer for their fraudulent activity might.

Why, he seemed to have made it clear that he's an investor...no help to me.
When he finally admitted to being a developer, he became rude and unhelpful...as expected from a developer.

OK, then why do you keep asking for more info in your posts?

Again, I'm sorry to have offended the building inspectors and 'angel like' developers in this forum...perhaps if they were honest with their intentions, arguements wouldn't break out like this.

Dude, some advice from an investor/developer/manager/financier/human being:

Your behavior is incredible rude. With the attitude that you've adopted it is no wonder why you are having these problems. Some constructive criticism is for you to try and have some respect for your fellow man. You have demonstrated absolutely none of it here so I suspect that in the 3rd dimension you'd have the same problems.

You still have issues and as I understand it, based solely on your description, little momentum to getting them solved. That makes them the wrong people unless you managed to get their opinions in writing so you can start building a legal case.

You say you were "told" by the inspectors they can't do anything. Told implies to me that they didn't give you written opinions. Did they even record the visit?

Someone who knows how to move political and legal gears. If you were around St. Clair, I'd suggest someone like Margaret Smith of "Save our St. Clair".

Your local councillor might help and if they won't, contact Rob Ford (sit in his office) and describe the issue and that your councillor won't help. They can't do anything directly, but they might give advice on how to approach the issue.

Toronto is supposed to start appointing an ombudsman starting 2007 as part of the new City of Toronto Act (2006). Don't know if they have yet or not but this office is specifically intended for complaints like yours (city staff not doing their job). Your councillor should be able to tell you how to contact them.

If you had solid documentation, Toronto's Auditor General might be able to assist you as this kinda comes under "waste of funding", particularly if there is a pattern of inspections being done improperly and not just a single inspector at your building.

I wondered about that as well. Of course, this requires a number of expert witnesses with lots of well documented proof of the issues.

Since you cannot afford a lawyer, you need to put together a solid case before one will take it with their payment based on damages paid by the guilty party.

Last edited:
Having been on this forum for years and having gotten to know quite a number of the regulars in person, I took for granted that I could relate an anecdote and that people would simply trust me to have my facts straight. Being accused of spreading urban legends is something of a shock, but more so is the condescending tone of a couple of trolls in this thread.

I know I have my facts straight and I'm not obligated to prove it to anyone, and I'm not at all inclined to make any effort to satisfy the curiosity of people who never learned the social skills to phrase their doubts diplomatically.

Dude, some advice from an investor/developer/manager/financier/human being:

Your behavior is incredible rude. With the attitude that you've adopted it is no wonder why you are having these problems. Some constructive criticism is for you to try and have some respect for your fellow man. You have demonstrated absolutely none of it here so I suspect that in the 3rd dimension you'd have the same problems.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Having been on this forum for years and having gotten to know quite a number of the regulars in person, I took for granted that I could relate an anecdote and that people would simply trust me to have my facts straight. Being accused of spreading urban legends is something of a shock, but more so is the condescending tone of a couple of trolls in this thread.

I know I have my facts straight and I'm not obligated to prove it to anyone, and I'm not at all inclined to make any effort to satisfy the curiosity of people who never learned the social skills to phrase their doubts diplomatically.

Wow, there is so much great stuff going on in this quote! I'm picturing a senior in an old-folks home, thinking he's in 1950 and complaining that his cornflakes smell like shit, when in actuality it's his diaper that's in need of a change. :rolleyes:

Yes, you took it all for granted... comfortably surrounded by a clique of friends that allow you to spout off 'advice' without backing it up when questioned.

I guess the shock and awe contributed to your forgetting to comment on the Jenkins case... did I get it right? Just say no and I'll go chasing the goose again. :)

Oh, and I should get offended on everyone's behalf about the 'troll' accusation... but I won't... because it's Christmas... and trolls just aren't part of that 'legend'.

There is some very good information on this thread about distressed condos.

The original article is as relevant today as it was six years ago. Just the number of known distressed condos have increased.

We will have to see if the proposed changes to the Condo Act will help condo owners.

The original article is as relevant today as it was six years ago. Just the number of known distressed condos have increased.

We will have to see if the proposed changes to the Condo Act will help condo owners.

Condo boards also include condo owners, ya know. :)

I hate the "us-vs-them" attitude a very small percentage of our owners take against us board members -- as if we operate against our own interests. In my 20 months in this building, seven of which were on the board, I have learned that most folks are content to come and go and leave the worrying to others, a small percentage steps up to contribute to a flourishing community, and maybe half a dozen or so form an obstructive, destructive cabal that takes up a vast chunk of our time which is all volunteered.

It's tough enough to deal with all the physical problems in an older building, changing demographics as the original residents die off or must live on fixed incomes while richer downsizing boomers come in, and our money. The last thing any condo needs is people who dominate board attention and make us spend money on lawyers.

As to the subject of this thread, it's a matter of balance. People can't have it both ways: low fees and a building in which nothing leaks or breaks down.

Back