1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 629     0 

Condo Blinds

taal

Member Bio
Reaction score
Guys / Gal(s)

Any suggestions on blinds (or the like) for condos with huge Floor to Ceiling windows ?

Very similar to the pictures of the units in the London Condos that have been posted. What's typical for these units, blinds / drapes ?

Thanks!

Make sure that the outer colour of your blinds is consistent with your condo rules.

In my building only a white exterior colour can be used.

Can your condo board actually control the exterior colour of your blinds? I know they try...but exactly what would/could be done to offending residents?

Make sure that the outer colour of your blinds is consistent with your condo rules.

In my building only a white exterior colour can be used.

Thanks! I completely forgot about that. I'll need to look into that.

Thanks for the suggestions, didn't know Ikea had blinds so I'll consider those as well now :)

We're getting Panel curtains from ikea for our windows.

In the flash click on the icon that say panels on rollover. (picture of hanging panels)
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/Textiles/10654/

Overall I like the look of these and they're 9.8 ft in length. Everything is sold in pieces so depending on amount you need that would dictate the price.

Do you have floor to ceiling windows though?
I wonder if you can mount them on the ceiling in front of the window ... that's our only option really.

Do you have floor to ceiling windows though?
I wonder if you can mount them on the ceiling in front of the window ... that's our only option really.

Yah... most of the windows we'll be putting these in are floor to ceiling. There is a part you can buy that let's you ceiling mount the panels. What I also like is that you can mix and match panels. We have that white only rule so we'll be putting up straight with mixed with this one... http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60083318

Here's the ceiling mount link... http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30079365

I've seen the Ikea curtain panels that people mention above and I don't believe that they retract, which means your curtains will always be closed. Not an ideal window covering choice unless you have a really poor view which you want to block out.

Cellular blinds look great and are energy efficient. They are pricey but depending on how long you’re going to stay in your apartment they could be worth it.

Can your condo board actually control the exterior colour of your blinds? I know they try...but exactly what would/could be done to offending residents?

Good Boards do. The Property Manager sends two letters. If there is no action after the second letter the matter is passed onto the Condo Corp's. lawyer.

Alleen's Wall & Window Design in College Park is terrific. You choose what you want then they'll come in to measure and return in a few weeks to do the installations. It's a more expensive option than "do it yourself" or IKEA, but they do a great job there.

Careful with that ceiling mount into a concrete ceiling. It could become an exercise in frustration.

Definitely, without the proper equipment it'll be hard.

I've seen the Ikea curtain panels that people mention above and I don't believe that they retract, which means your curtains will always be closed. Not an ideal window covering choice unless you have a really poor view which you want to block out.

They definitely retract. They can be on three seperate tracks so they retract to the width of 1 panel on each side.

Careful with that ceiling mount into a concrete ceiling. It could become an exercise in frustration.

Hammer drill all the way baby... it's like going through butter :) I've done it with a regular drill too and it's a very painfull way to do it. Probably takes 10 times longer with a regular drill.

Back